sangiro

The Land God made in Anger

Heya all,

As you may (or may not) have noticed I've been gone for the past 3 weeks. I spent most of that time traveling with my family in Namibia (where I grew up) in an area in the north-west called the Kaokoland. The Kaokoland is remote, to say the least, and managing to travel 150 miles per day in a good 4x4 would be considered a good day on the road.

Namibia is a harsh country and is often referred to as "The Land God made in Anger". This has been an exceptional rainy season though and the desert and semi-desert areas are covered with grass and other signs of life.

I spent some time in the central-western and south-western region as well. This part of the country is home to some of the highest sand dunes in the world and is part of the world's oldest desert - the Namib Desert. Even here the rain has brought life to a usually arid land.

The people in the pictures are part of the Himba tribe which lives in the Kaokoland. The Himbas are the 3rd most primitive tribe in Africa and the 7th most primitive in the world. They are an interesting and proud people.

Anyway, I'm back and wanted to say Hi. Enjoy the photos. :)
http://www.dropzone.com/temp/
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Thanks for the pics. Interesting stuff. I wish I could share more pics of my travels. I was up in the high mountains (6-7 thousand feet) of northern Iraq the other day. There's still a little snow up there. I was shocked to see a HUGE (over 1 ft long) green lizard run under my truck. :D Didn't know they had those up there.

I'm so envious now. From someone who would practically kill to travel, but who's hardly been out of Georgia until recently, I only have 1 word for you......

:)[RED]WOW!! :)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

The people in the pictures are part of the Himba tribe which lives in the Kaokoland. The Himbas are the 3rd most primitive tribe in Africa and the 7th most primitive in the world. They are an interesting and proud people.

Ranked by whom, and according to what criteria? Just curious. Not that I expect a response from The Man, but if anyone else has any idea, please share. Thanks.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Awesome. Those are some incredible landscapes. I think my favorite picture is the one with the cracked earth in front of the red hill...in your Namibia pics. I hate that I don't have any real knowledge of the place.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Absolutely awesome pics! What an awesome experience you must have had over there.

Seriously, dude. Some of those pics are National Geographic/magazine - worthy. Breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.

B|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Am I allowed to hijack this thread?

If not, great pics, big guy! Thanks!

Probably not a good Idea.:ph34r:

Nice Job Bossman!
What camera and glass were you using?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun