TFFTM

After 19 Years I f*&^ing QUIT!

Here is a push...

Smoking Risks—Rules of Thumb

Lung cancer risk—increases roughly 50 to 100 percent for each cigarette you smoke per day.

Heart disease risks—increases roughly 100 percent for each pack of cigarettes you smoke per day.

Switching to filter-tip cigarettes reduces the risk of lung cancer roughly 20 percent, but does not affect the risk of heart disease.

Smokers spend 27 percent more time in the hospital and more than twice as much time in intensive care units as nonsmokers.

Each cigarette costs the smoker five to twenty minutes of life.

A smoker is at twice the risk of dying before age sixty-five as a nonsmoker.

My first love in high school was one of the smartest guys I knew. Very talented and lots of fun. Smoked like a chimney. He never tried to quit, until they removed his voice box, then half of his tongue.
He was a chef. A chef with no tongue can't taste stuff. He just died. What a waste.
Good luck to you, spend the extra time on the websites and keep thinking positive thoughts. We are all pulling for you!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I smoked for 20 years, sometimes only occasionally, but a pack a day for the last five or so. I quit in February, and I have stuck with it. At first, I tried cutting back, and I was planning to try patches or the gum, but I decided to just quit. I am not sure that cold turkey is the best way for everyone, but it was what I felt like I would have to do if I really wanted to quit. I read somewhere that the only way to be an ex-smoker is to stop smoking. So I stopped smoking.

Good luck. I feel your pain. It sucked at times, and I still want a cig sometimes, but my food already tastes better.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Congratulations. It is hard to quit, but worth it. today is day 41 for me and I feel so much better already. I smoked for 12 years. Just remember that no matter how bad you are craving one...it isn't worth it. Your HEALTH is what matters and having that one drag won't make you feel better. Good luck, keep us posted.

Doesn't it feel good to no longer be a slave.

Whaddya mean - slavery is good mmmmkayyyyyy
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hang tough ... 3 weeks is the real turning point. Learn to ride the cravings and they will go away ... Just don't fire up the next one because it will set you back to the beginning .. 7 minutes of pleasure will cost you another few weeks of pain.

I quit Y2K after many years on the nails.. If I can do it , ANYONE can :P

Man this sucks....Work is crappy today and real stressful- I picked a bad day to quit smoking...
Oh well.
Thanks for the encouragement it has now been 13.5 hours.
The cravings suck , and the want to rip off the head of all my coworkers suck (not really a change though).
I keep thinking about the way I am going to feel and not the way I feel now. 1 hour at a time.:|

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

The Surgeon General says:

Skydiving Risks—Rules of Thumb

Skydiving cancer risk—increases roughly 50 to 100 percent for each skydive you jump per day.

Skydiving disease risks—increases roughly 100 percent for each pack of freeflyer freaks you jump with per day.

Switching to round parachutes reduces the risk of skydiving cancer roughly 20 percent, but does not affect the risk of skydiving disease.

Skydivers spend 27 percent more time in the Bonfire and more than twice as much time in Speaker Corner as whuffos.

Each jump costs the skydiver five to twenty minutes of life.

A skydiver is at twice the risk of becoming a freefly freak before age sixty-five as a whuffo.

These rules do not apply to whuffos, Students, or A License jumpers. For more information about risks to new skydivers, please ask your friendly neighbourhood dropzone instructor ;)

I picked a bad day to quit smoking...

Guess I picked a bad day to quit drinking...

Guess I picked a bad day to quit taking amphetamines...

Guess I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue....

;):D
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

4h 11m until the 24h mark
This morning and after lunch were the worst.
I am wearing a 21 mg patch, have chewed about 6 pieces of the 2mg gum and 10 fingernails...

This is tough, I never realized what a hold ciggs had on me :|

4h 8m until the 24 h mark [:/]

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

I got 19 years on Feb 9th. Keep going ,it's so worth it.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Way to Go.......I smoked 31 years and I have 6 weeks 3 days and 11 hrs not smoking.....I've read all the stuff about how it gets easier after 3 to 4 weeks.......B.S.......just like skydiving...stay focused and you'll do it.......;)

Again, guys, thanks for the encouragement!

2nd day
30.5hrs and counting

Yesterday afternoon was the worst but by last night I o.k. . I was even around some smokers and thinking "Thats the way I used to be but not anymore". It felt great. Its going to be a long road but I have my motivation and dedication.
One motivating factor is my 9 yr old son.
I called him to tell him I was going to quit and all you could hear was a loud "YaYYYYYY Daddy".
He has been after me for a few years and I kept putting it off but I can't let him down now.

Anyway another (smokeless) day...:)
Passing the 24 hour mark was a milestone. The first 24 hour period in over 14 years that I didn't smoke.B|

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

Congrats! My best to you!

Another help for you to keep you motivated....

My dad died of lung, liver, and brain cancer as a result of smoking. He suffered not only physically but mentally.

My mom quit smoking as well when dad was dying. She's been smoke free for over 4 years now. B| She's the best!!!

Keep up the good work! We're pulling for you!

Hugs! :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Obviously, this will probably be the toughest thing you will ever do. I've been told that, getting off of nicotine is equal to kicking heroin. I smoked for over 30-yrs. When I finally quit, I had to quit thinking about cigarettes and constantly divert my thoughts away from them. You can do it! Chew on toothpicks. When you get a craving for a cigarette, tell yourself you'll have one later (later, never comes). Keep busy. I have been off cigarettes and booze, for 10-yrs. and I still, get cravings. It's really hard to do but, you've gone this long without one... you can go even longer. Hang in there. It'll be the best thing you will ever do for yourself. I've seen too many friends and relatives die of emphasema(sp) and cancer, as a result of smoking. Do it for you. That may sound selfish but, that's the way it is. Your friends and loved ones will understand what you are going through. We're all behind you. Besides, you and your clothes will smell better!:D:D

Chuck

The first 24 hour period in over 14 years that I didn't smoke.

That's awesome! One day at a time...you can do it. B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I couldn't agree more...
I hard smoked for around 27 years.
It's now been 2 years & 3 months since my last puff:)But I know that IF I have ONE puff today, I'll smoke a pack tomorrow :S
"Africa is not for sissies"