jumpergirl

Sky/Scuba Divers?

Always remember the 72 hour rule, no jumpy after divey for 72 hours. :)

72??? I was taught 24 hours.

Ditto

I thought it was 12???? One of the questions on the test was how long do you have to wait to fly after you dive. The answer ON THAT TEST was 18 but our instructor told us it was an old test and it's now 12 hours. I'll look it up to confirm, but I just took the test a week ago.

Just remember there is a big difference between flying commercial and skydiving. When you get on a commercial flight, they pressureize the cabin at something like 6,000 feet. I have gotten on a flight in Denver with an altimeter and actually seen the "altitude" go DOWN. When you skydive, you will be getting out at anywhere between 13,000 and 18,000 so there will be a lot less pressure, hence a lot higher likelyhood of getting Bent. It seems like 24 hours (if not longer) would be a good minimum time to wait for all the nitrogen to get out of your system.

Just remember there is a big difference between flying commercial and skydiving. When you get on a commercial flight, they pressureize the cabin at something like 6,000 feet. I have gotten on a flight in Denver with an altimeter and actually seen the "altitude" go DOWN. When you skydive, you will be getting out at anywhere between 13,000 and 18,000 so there will be a lot less pressure, hence a lot higher likelyhood of getting Bent. It seems like 24 hours (if not longer) would be a good minimum time to wait for all the nitrogen to get out of your system.

I would much rather wait longer than needed than to take a chance. I'm ok with waiting 24 hours. :)

I would much rather wait longer than needed than to take a chance. I'm ok with waiting 24 hours. :)

I looked it up in our PADI book, it is 12, used to be 24. My wife and I error on the extreme cautious side regarding skydiving after diving, we wait several days. As the book says, all these figures are based on theroy. And, different poeple offgas nitrogen at different rates.

We did all of our water stuff at a scuba park in Terrell, TX. I can't remember the name. :S It's a flooded rock quarry and pretty cool! They had a steel shark body at one end, a cabin cruiser in the middle, and an American Eagle fuselage at the other end. It was eerie, but cool to go swim through the plane body. :o

We did all of our water stuff at a scuba park in Terrell, TX. I can't remember the name. It's a flooded rock quarry and pretty cool! They had a steel shark body at one end, a cabin cruiser in the middle, and an American Eagle fuselage at the other end. It was eerie, but cool to go swim through the plane body

At the lake i did my open water cert there was an underground farm. Farm equipment and some concrete animals were down there. I got to rodeo a pig. :)
Pre ~ I prefer cookies n cream ice cream. :P

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

>My first time ever with only 10 minutes of training imediately before,
>I went down 75 feet. Anybody who thinks SCUBA is even remotely
> close to as dangerous / challenging as skydiving has probably not
> really thought it through.

I know people who have done SL jumps after a 60 minute course and thought the same thing about skydiving. "I mean, what can go wrong? What kind of idiot would you have to be to die skydiving?"

There are about ten million scuba dives made in the US each year, with about 90 people dying a year. There are about 2.5 million skydives made each year in the US; fatalities seem to hover around 30-40 a year.

Same here. I would rather avoid chamber diving.

And not many people know if they have a POF, until they are bent, go chamber diving, and find out they have a POF.

Manage the risk. Don't knock on deaths door and run.

J
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

Diver here too.

Anyone enjoy cold water/dry suit diving? I've only made a handful of dry suit dives but I loved them. So long as you had enough insulation overall, I found it very refreshing. The squeeze certainly takes some time getting used to though.

I have low dive numbers, and originally moved to Florida with the idea being that I would get to dive a bunch. Hmmm...not a single dive since. I did start skydiving though.
Killing threads since 2004.

J and I got our scuba rating (is that what it's called? Or is it certification? ) last Friday and we're so excited about it. How many other sky/scuba divers are there here?? I know only a few.

--------------------------------------------

Me...but I am still a newbie. I have heard of the 24 hour rule and the 72 hour rule. I believe it depends on the depth. I think that is one of those, "ask your instructor" questions.

J and I got our scuba rating (is that what it's called? Or is it certification? :S) last Friday and we're so excited about it. How many other sky/scuba divers are there here?? I know only a few.

I have been SCUBA diving since I was 16. I wish I could shydive as well as I SCUBA.

I love diving. SKY, SCUBA, MUFF..:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Hey Jaime,
I've been certified since I was 9 years old.
Open water, advanced, nitrox.....

I'm not real familier with the whole nitrox and skydiving thing but if you can wake up HooknSwoop, he used to work in the space shuttle tank at NASA JSC in Houston, under water all week on nitrox and jumping all weekend.
He's the one who talked me into getting nitrox certified.

I jump and I scuba...not together. I have been scuba diving for 4 years and learning to jump this year....In AFF right now and loving it!!!! So now, I have 2 expensive hobbies, but life is short so I might as well spend it now!
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

When diving in Utila Honduras, I had more experience than 90% of the dive masters there. As for which is more dangerous of the two I agree scuba is more dangerous.....get a rush from both of them.

Going to Cozumel in feb. for Carnivale!!! Its a kick.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Hey Jaime,
I've been certified since I was 9 years old.
Open water, advanced, nitrox.....

I'm not real familier with the whole nitrox and skydiving thing but if you can wake up HooknSwoop, he used to work in the space shuttle tank at NASA JSC in Houston, under water all week on nitrox and jumping all weekend.
He's the one who talked me into getting nitrox certified.

i do believe that is because he didnt do "deco" dives...dives to a depth that require a safety stop, to off gas notrogen.

i do believe that is because he didnt do "deco" dives...dives to a depth that require a safety stop, to off gas notrogen.

We dove 46% NITROX, which really helped, but that still didn't stop me getting some decompression sickness symptons on the way to altitude a few times;) When you are down for 4 hours a day, you build up Nitrogen.

The best way to determine flying after diving is high altitude diving charts. I could not find ANYONE in the know willing to even discuss minimum times before flying.

Derek