Kimblair13

Setting your breaks...

i set mine straight after landing and stow the excess just before i put the d bag into the container....but if i might add i also remove twists from the break lines every 20 or so jumps to reduce/hopefully eliminate the chances of a preesure knot:o

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

i set mine straight after landing and stow the excess just before i put the d bag into the container....but if i might add i also remove twists from the break lines every 20 or so jumps to reduce/hopefully eliminate the chances of a preesure knot:o

I do just like him. I set my brakes right after I got back to packing area and my gear is still on my back. So I set my breakes, kill-line and pack, if I don't have anything else to do.

If people were actuall voting realisticly, there would be a lot more votes for:

"I jump whatever my packer does for me"

Either that, or the yuppie skydiver crowd is still sipping their capachino's or double lattee this that and what nots and haven't discovered this thread yet.

:P
:D

I always put my toggles back on the risers first thing when I land. Then I remove my rig and check for /straighten brake line twists at the packing area, set my brakes, unstow my slider and cock my pilot chute, every time in the same order. That way, all the "housekeeping" is done whether I pack it or not. Come to think of it, nobody else ever packs for me. I guess I am just hoping for some day when I am rich enough to afford a packer.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

set them when i land, if i don't forget,

packers where I am at don't set brakes, so IF I use a packer, which i tend to do when its near lunchtime or I'm getting tired, then I set my own brakes and uncollapse my own slider.

edit: oh yeah, as for the extra, I usually stow them, but considering that I am not liking the way my lines are looking, I am not going to be setting them anymore.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

It amazes me how many people I see on any given weekend landing with their brake lines completely twisted up--you can see the twists in the brake lines even when they're 50 ft off the ground:S. What's even more amazing is how they're surprised that you can see the twists by just looking down the line! >:(

I set my own brakes, stowing the excess. I also undo any twists after EVERY jump (I jump a Velocity 90). It's extremely easy to do. After landing, and making sure no one's about to take me out on their landing approach, I look down the length of the brake lines. It's very easy to see when there are even 1 or two twists. I undo the twists, set my brakes, stow the excess, look around for any oncoming traffic, and make my way to the packing area. Undoing the twists this way after every jump doesn't even add 10 seconds to the routine. :)
Cheers!

--Jairo

Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

It amazes me how many people I see on any given weekend landing with their brake lines completely twisted up--you can see the twists in the brake lines even when they're 50 ft off the groundCrazy. What's even more amazing is how they're surprised that you can see the twists by just looking down the line! Mad

I try to teach good practices for students, although I'm not an instructor. Not all of them are open and listening. :(

I'm pickey about how they are set after tying my toggles to the risers a few times and landing on rears.

Ditto. It's irritating when you yank on both to free them and end up in a stuck toggle induced spiral.

I stow them straight after landing, including the excess line...and opening up the slider again. I used to be lazy and just stuff the excess line deep into the crack, but they started going all furry...which does not look cool! :P

It's 30 seconds work and i can then be sure it's done to my liking.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

For the record:

I'm opposed to setting brakes in the field. Stowing toggles, yes. Setting brakes, no.

Setting brakes is part of the packing process and the packing process is best completed all at the same sitting, not spread over two different locations and times. Too many instances of people forgetting to set both brakes out there after being distracted by landers.

Standing in the landing field while setting brakes sets you up for being hit by a lander. Distraction by setting brakes takes your mind away from the guy coming towards you.

I especially cringe at the bozos setting brakes with their backs to the landing pattern, completely oblivious to the world around them.

Why not do the entire sequence of the packing process all at one sitting instead of some now, some later?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Why not do the entire sequence of the packing process all at one sitting instead of some now, some later?

Good and stable procedures and multiple checkpoints are more important than having everything in a single sitting.

If you do and check twice the most important things like kill-line, slider kill-line and brakes it can not be wrong. Its quite hard to miss it even you got some distraction.

I especially cringe at the bozos setting brakes with their backs to the landing pattern, completely oblivious to the world around them.

My husband does that and it drives me fucking batty.

But which is the greater hazzard, someone who is standing still, watching canopy traffic while setting brakes, or the person who picks up their gear and is walking across the middle of the landing area with other canopies landing? Moving targets can be trickier, I would think.

I set the brakes to avoid too many twists (though my last jump of the weekend I usually wait to set brakes and untwist lines), to keep my velcro/lines in decent shape, and it's one less thing for me to deal with later. As a packer, it's just habit to double check the brakes when I start to pack and again when putting the bag in the container.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I always STOW the brakes and uncollapse the slider right after landing. Since I pack for myself...when I'm ready to start AND finish the pack job...I check the brake lines for twists then SET the brakes. B|

Old age ain't no place for sissies!