1 1
tdog

Student makes his own canopy

So in my FJC yesterday a guy says his experience level is a few static lines years ago - and he worked on a DZ as a packer in the mid-90s. At lunch he offers to pull out something he made...

"I made this canopy. It is elliptical and 160 sqft, so it will be a few hundred jumps before I can jump it... It is not done yet, but I have been working on it for months."

We hung it up... Many riggers, including the head master rigger of the US Air Force Academy (hundreds of rigs maintained under his staff of riggers) - looked at every stitch, etc.

No one knows how it will fly - as this student did a lot of research on airfoils and angles and line trims with a background in aviation, but he made his own design without copying anyone else...

And to make it even more impressive - he had no prototype, he made it in a hotel room while deployed for the military with a sewing machine, cardboard templates, and hand tools. Completely his design. Completely from research. No copy.

The riggers comments were all positive. They recommended a few bartacks be added here and there maybe a slight change in a few of the seams for wear issues, etc... But people were saying, "that is factory stitching like quality". The recommendations he was getting were all designed to make the canopy airworthy, not the "your insane to even think about jumping that."

Many skydivers said, "can I jump it?" (all logically planning on using a terch rig and probably cutting it away not knowing it's landing characteristics)

And, we are now changing the A licence signoff card from "Pack a parachute without assistance" to "Make your own parachute without assistance". Just kidding.

Photos attached.

Anyway - the reason I post... If anyone has info on canopy design that is not proprietary that they wish to share. Please send it to me or post it so I can share it with the student. I am also going to put him in touch with Brian Germain... With more training, this guy will go far.

That is awesome!!!! :)
Cannot wait to see how 'elliptical' it is - tail, nose, both?

I'm old enough that I've seen some mains from the 'build it in your basement!' kits ... as well as many 'experiments.' ;)

Please give us a report after someone jumps the thing. As it's completely his design, maybe he should look at a patent?

I bet/hope you get many PMs about canopy design. And I'm sure you're right that this guy will go far.

Best,
D

Hardcore. B|

Well actually the story is not done yet.:$

Today Monte brought in more of his toys... His 19 sqft 9 cell canopy kite immediately took off when I threw it in the air... No wind, so I walked backwards slowly and it flew perfectly. The mini slider is about the size of the palm of my hand, and the cute mini risers are about 6 inches long with mini toggles.

AND...

He brought his own homemade container that he knows will never be jumped due to TSO, but he made about 10 years ago I guess... It is not a copy of any design, but modeled after the best of what was around at the time he made it.

It was hard to tell it was not a modern container made by one of the top manufactures.

It's reserve tray, freebag, bridle and pilot chute resemble closely a modern Vector. He made all of it, although I don't think he made the spring for the pilot chute... It was stuffed with a reserve he did not make. The main closes with a closing loop from the bottom of the container, like a Javelin. But the outside looks something like a Vector or Infinity.

The main activation is a freefly handle with a pull out.

At the time of construction - soft housings were
"innovative" so he used them on his design. The reserve ripcord was given to him from another rig being decommissioned so it is just like you would expect in any modern rig. The cutaway handle is a soft pillow.

I did not bring my camera today - so no photos... Sorry... Even so - I don't think I would share them because he clearly has a design that is worthy of the marketplace.

Now, what impressed me... Some things were not on modern rigs - like the way he constructed his three-rings. He did not want to cut a hole and install a grommet thru the minirisers so he came up with an alternate method that keeps 100% of the structural integrity of the risers - which of course he made, including the toggle. It is not my design to share, so I will not give out more details as he might be onto something...

The main D-bag was stuffed with another canopy he made, but I did not open that up.

Never thought a kite would have a slider... Is there a reason for the slider?

This guy seems very obsessed with parachutes, is he going to get his A license so he can jump his creations?

Because the canopy was built as a scale prototype, so the slider is in scale and for the sake of knowing how to build one I guess.

Never thought a kite would have a slider... Is there a reason for the slider?

This guy seems very obsessed with parachutes, is he going to get his A license so he can jump his creations?

Because the canopy was built as a scale prototype, so the slider is in scale and for the sake of knowing how to build one I guess.

Definitely someone to keep an eye on...we need more LIKE HIM! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

When I was working on my Master's ticket, we had a gentleman from Norway, who made his own eliptical parachute. If, I recall correctly, it was something like a 97-sq. ft. He made the first jump on it one day during the school. The whole thing, was a work of art. He got a great swoop out of it and it flew great. There's really, a lot of talent in the world.

Chuck

Hi tdog,

own homemade container that he knows will never be jumped due to TSO,

It has been done, you just need to get an FAA-type who is willing to listen to your story and be in your corner. You will not be able to sell them to others, though. It would be a one-time thing for the owner only.

Jerry

His 19 sqft 9 cell canopy kite immediately took off when I threw it in the air... No wind, so I walked backwards slowly and it flew perfectly. The mini slider is about the size of the palm of my hand, and the cute mini risers are about 6 inches long with mini toggles.

Put him in touch with Luigi, so it can get some test jumps on it. (And don't forget the video).;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Pretty amazing shit for anyone, let alone a new jumper.

Too bad Mile-High will suck the life out of him like meth to a crack whore, leaving him with no desire to ever jump again.

Anyone that smart will take his talent to a place that cares about their jumpers and will foster his natural abilities.