wildcard451

Croc hunter dead...?

well meaning people who knew nothing about the real risk factor involved. People think we're maniacs for jumping out of planes and BASE jumpers for hitting objects, why? Because they know nothing of what we do other than what they see in films that dramatise our sport in negative ways, just like the people who judged Steve base their opinions on assumption and pedjudices of crocks. (No offensive intended to anyone.)

You know, I think you have an excellent point here.

How can skydiver's bitch about whuffo jerks who pass judgement on the sport without any in-depth knowledge, yet make the same type of judgemental statements based on sound-bites from the nightly news?

At any rate, whichever side of the subject you're on, a man died. A family lost a loved one. Shame on all of you who express the opinion that he deserved it. I hope no whuffo ever says that about anyone in this sport that you care about.

I hope you can type fast,

No I am negleting my boyfriend all in the name of my grieving of this icon of the animal world.

Go read it all or I am printing it and sending it with your gift :P

It will only cost you 84 cents to send it to him in Austrailia. :D PM me for his address if you like! :D:D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

well meaning people who knew nothing about the real risk factor involved. People think we're maniacs for jumping out of planes and BASE jumpers for hitting objects, why? Because they know nothing of what we do other than what they see in films that dramatise our sport in negative ways, just like the people who judged Steve base their opinions on assumption and pedjudices of crocks. (No offensive intended to anyone.)

You know, I think you have an excellent point here.

How can skydiver's bitch about whuffo jerks who pass judgement on the sport without any in-depth knowledge, yet make the same type of judgemental statements based on sound-bites from the nightly news?

At any rate, whichever side of the subject you're on, a man died. A family lost a loved one. Shame on all of you who express the opinion that he deserved it. I hope no whuffo ever says that about anyone in this sport that you care about.

Here here! And that, dear girl, is why I like you so much! :)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

It's pretty close to being stabbed with a sword. The barbs can be up to ten inches long, and this one went under his ribcage and into his heart. It was a freak accident. People swim with stingrays all the time, get stung all thet time, and walk away with a puncture wound, a band-aid, and a good story.

My dad stepped on a stingray in a tidal pool about twenty years ago and it lashed him across the Achilles tendon. I can understand that the stingray was minding it's own business and upset at being stepped on and just defending itself. But it still fucked up my dad's leg pretty good.

I can't help but think that Steve Irwin was somehow BOTHERING and ANNOYING this poor creature when it stuck its tail fin into the guy's heart. Somebody on a related thread said this was the first documented death caused by a stingray since 1944.

The wife and I aren't really surprised in the least, we've always felt we'd be reading Mr. Irwin's obit one of these days. Along with people who insist on swimming among sharks in chain mail suits (they nailed her), and running around on fresh lava beds taking pictures of fresh volcanos (got them too, though I must admit I admired their pics). I won't go into whether or not the guy was doing a good job at promoting conservation of endangered species, because I don't know the facts (and am generally STRONGLY pro-environmental). But I know better myself than to go around provoking animals that are naturally going to strike back and all I can say is if you keep annoying crocs, snakes, grizzly bears, sharks, Humboldt Squids, and stingrays, etc, it WILL eventually get you in the end. Guess his number was just up, but it didn't have to be....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Just flipped on Animal Planet and they've apparently foregone their normal programming and showing some of the older shows of Steve Irwin.
So your trivia answer of the night - Bindi Sue(sp?) Irwin

Bindi = Steve's favorite croc
Sue = Steve's dog

Terri's water broke and in true showman fashion, he brought his film crew to the event.

It's good TV.
------
Michael

While I am surprised that a stingray was the cause of Steve's death I must say that (FROM WHAT I SAW ON TV) that most of his stuff was done with a fair amount of CALCULATED RISK.
Sure, what he did was dangerous, but I think it's kind of odd for this community to sound like whuffos.

It is easy to believe that he was provoking the stingray to some extent but I would like to think that this was just a bad turn of events rather than some moron with a camera and a wet suit kicking the proverbial hornets nest.
My photos

My Videos

[:/]. Man, the guy was hitting my 'annoying' button pretty regularly to start with...but my hubby and daughter got me into watching his shows if just to see some cool animals and get a laugh.

It's sad that the guy died. I hope his legacy will live on and continue to help the animals he worked so hard to save.

-And at our house we say 'Crikey!' a whole lot...I guess that'll feel kinda weird from now on. :(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I would have let him hold my kid while feeding a croc. He had done it THOUSANDS of times and it was safe.

I would let Jim Wallace take my kid on a tandem. He could do it safely.

If a stingray hasnt killed somedone in decades, this HAS to be a freak accident.

He has done WAY more good than harm in this world and he should be remembered as a champion of the enviornment, wildlife and education.

After watching the Croc Hunter episode about how he met his wife and through the birth of his daughter.....he very possibly could be the best and most passionate father and husband I have ever seen.

The loss to his wife and 2 kids is the greatest loss of all and it makes me terribly sad.

I can't help but think that Steve Irwin was somehow BOTHERING and ANNOYING this poor creature when it stuck its tail fin into the guy's heart. Somebody on a related thread said this was the first documented death caused by a stingray since 1944.

The wife and I aren't really surprised in the least, we've always felt we'd be reading Mr. Irwin's obit one of these days. Along with people who insist on swimming among sharks in chain mail suits (they nailed her), and running around on fresh lava beds taking pictures of fresh volcanos (got them too, though I must admit I admired their pics). I won't go into whether or not the guy was doing a good job at promoting conservation of endangered species, because I don't know the facts (and am generally STRONGLY pro-environmental). But I know better myself than to go around provoking animals that are naturally going to strike back and all I can say is if you keep annoying crocs, snakes, grizzly bears, sharks, Humboldt Squids, and stingrays, etc, it WILL eventually get you in the end. Guess his number was just up, but it didn't have to be....

He was not provoking or intimidating it. They have the footage of the incident, it has been reviewed and it was determined he was not doing anything to provoke or upset it.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/irwin-didnt-intimidate-stingray/2006/09/05/1157222098946.html

Found on an Aussie Forum:

Mate.
Even though we had our differences and didn't always see eye to eye, it's a sad bloody day for us all.
We'll miss you.

* Posted by: The Crocodiles at September 4, 2006 03:26 PM

Never try to eat more than you can lift

He was not provoking or intimidating it. They have the footage of the incident, it has been reviewed and it was determined he was not doing anything to provoke or upset it.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/irwin-didnt-intimidate-stingray/2006/09/05/1157222098946.html

Thanks for posting that. Maybe it will shut up those arm chair whuffo quarterbackers. But probably not. [:/]

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

From an article:

Irwin's conservation work would continue despite his death yesterday, a close friend said today.

The executive director of Irwin's Australia Zoo at Beerwah, near Queensland's Sunshine Coast, pledged today that Irwin's work to protect wildlife would go on.

"We have an obligation now to do more, and through his legacy we hope more Australians and more people around the world will get into conservation," Michael Hornby told Channel Nine's Today program.

"Things like the culling of wildlife, which Steve was very passionate [against]. That has to stop. We've got to create safer habitats; we've got to carry on the mantle."

Irwin made a great contribution to the conservation movement around the world, Mr Hornby said.

"I don't think we'll ever come to grips with his impact," Mr Hornby said.

"It's not just the direct stuff, the land that he has purchased to create habitats, the money he has invested, the motivation that he has provided so many people.

I hollered to the back of my very small house, where Jay's watching cartoons, "Jay, Crocodile hunter was killed by a stingray."

"I didn't like him anyway..."

Oh my!
linz

Crikey! LOL!!! That made me laugh!!:D:D How old is Jay?

Made me laugh too...lol. Jay's 9.

bravo!

teach children about the realities of death early on..then they wont act like blubbering twits when "she flies nearer" to their own lives

every living thing dies.. sad to say it but not ever living human really experiences their life while they have it.... gettting all broken up because some died while following their True Path (and Steve Irwin certainly was IMO) isnt just sentimental.. its bloody stupid and shortsighted. Those sitting around in various forms/stages of depression arent helping the dead.. and they ARE harming themselves.. (and the children they raise with such an ignorant attitude towards everything's eventual end.)

My memory was that Irwin was holding the kid in his arms. If Irwin had been charged and knocked down, his ability to protect the kid is quite limited. Anyway, I think your reasoning does little to mitigate what I consider to be child endangerment.

You also have very limited knowledge of what actualy happens at Australia Zoo. The footage you saw in the news suffers very greatly from paralax error (they were quite a considerable distance apart), you also did not see the 5 other staff memebers in the enclosure with Steve and Bob. Also the Crocs there are VERY well fed and cared for. What you saw was "percieved danger".

HEY! this is AMERICA! We dont need ACTUAL FACTS to form an (ignorant) OPINION...

:Don second thought[:/]