micro

Bastardized 747

I talked to a Boeing pilot the other day who says it's in the flight test phase. The back end will be unpressurized but heated. Sounds like a perfect jump plane.

Hey just think of the opportunities inside that thing for..... weightless flight... now THAT would be badass..

I talked to a Boeing pilot the other day who says it's in the flight test phase. The back end will be unpressurized but heated. Sounds like a perfect jump plane.

Hey just think of the opportunities inside that thing for..... weightless flight... now THAT would be badass..

And with the fuel load that thing can handle just think of the time you can spend riding the "Parobolic Porpoise"!:D

>This is the fugliest thing I've ever seen...

Boeing is using this 747 to transport pieces of the 7E7 'dreamliner' during manufacture.

The 7E7 has gone into production, the first one has anyway, and it's now designated the 787. It would make sense to have a custom transport for flying in the really big parts. Don't know if they still do, but they used to hire a Russian Antonov jet to fly in engines for the 777 (those engines are as big around as the body of a 737). Airbus also has a huge customized monster plane for ferrying A380 parts around Europe.

But this is not a passenger plane. Boeing's basically given up on super jumbos. They won't design anything big enough to replace or surpass the size of the 747 and have only offered warmed over extended models that nobody was interested in. Instead, Boeing is concentrating on long range planes that can carry a medium load of passengers, like 260 or so, from almost anywhere to almost anywhere else in the world non-stop. That's what the 787 is all about and it's picked up a lot of orders. But it's still sad to see Boeing give away the lead to another company. But that's what's happened to Boeing, all the visionaries are long gone and have been replaced by bean counters who want to build Toyotas with wings.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

>This is the fugliest thing I've ever seen...

Boeing is using this 747 to transport pieces of the 7E7 'dreamliner' during manufacture.

The 7E7 has gone into production, the first one has anyway, and it's now designated the 787. It would make sense to have a custom transport for flying in the really big parts. Don't know if they still do, but they used to hire a Russian Antonov jet to fly in engines for the 777 (those engines are as big around as the body of a 737). Airbus also has a huge customized monster plane for ferrying A380 parts around Europe.

But this is not a passenger plane. Boeing's basically given up on super jumbos. They won't design anything big enough to replace or surpass the size of the 747 and have only offered warmed over extended models that nobody was interested in. Instead, Boeing is concentrating on long range planes that can carry a medium load of passengers, like 260 or so, from almost anywhere to almost anywhere else in the world non-stop. That's what the 787 is all about and it's picked up a lot of orders. But it's still sad to see Boeing give away the lead to another company. But that's what's happened to Boeing, all the visionaries are long gone and have been replaced by bean counters who want to build Toyotas with wings.

I don't know that your critique of Boeings business strategy is correct. While Airbus has taken the Bigger-Is-Better route, they've also ran into a fair bit of trouble recently w/ the A-380 as well. They've had some cancelled orders and there are going to be a helluva lot of airport infrastructre changes in order to get that beast serviceable, at least in the US.

I think Boeings move is far more practicle, esp. if the 787 can be produced faster in larger numbers, which will (hopefully) decentralize a little more from the bigger hubs, which the larger Airbus cannot do.

In todays economy, I think the 787 is going to be more successful, at least in the long run. The spotlight right now is on the A380, IMO, just b/c it's so BIG and Airbus got it flying so quickly. I think it's faddish though and the world economy is still too volatile to support such a craft esp. w/ terrorisms threats still looming.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Don't know if they still do, but they used to hire a Russian Antonov jet to fly in engines for the 777 (those engines are as big around as the body of a 737).

That was only done for the first couple 777s, because P&W was behind schedule, so having them build up the nacelle before shipping helped, but it was too big for 747 freighters.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Airbus has had some major order cancellations on the A380. Their supply and production lines are running into major "snafus" that have forced them to delay completed orders by years. Boeing's concentration on greater efficiency, without the need for major overhauls in infrastructure is spot on.

There's nothing wrong with a Toyota (especially when compared to a Peugot or Renault). The Airline industry cannot afford the A380. From fuel cost to terminal expansions to materiel needed to maintain the beast, the industry doesn't have the money to spend to buy it, or operate it.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You sure about that? The A380 won't be for every route, but LHR-[BKK,SIN]-[SYD,MLB], LHR-JFK, and LAX-NRT would all suit it nicely. I'd be very surprised if the 787 was a flop, but then they're aimed at two very different markets. The A350 is the aircraft I'd be more concerned about.