Muenkel

Please, prayers/vibes for my 8 month old nephew Ethan.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this...it's so distressing to hear when things like this happen to someone so young, and from a family pet.[:/]

Many prayers of healing will be going up for Ethan.

Please give us updates as you can.
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Thanks folks. Ethan is going to be OK barring infection. Extent of scarring and future surgery is unknown of course.

I was at the hospital today and he looked a lot better than what he looked like last night. I cannot even describe the gruesomeness of last night and the horror. I don't think I have ever witnessed something so upsetting and then watching the little guy go off in the helicopter. Too much.

His face is still swollen and bruised. He's got several lacerations and puncture wounds. The stitching the plastic surgeon did looks fantastic. I said last night over 200 stitches, well they're very tiny stitches.

Ethan is still sleeping a lot, but a few times he did open those beautiful blues he's got and looked at me. I was a puddle on the floor. He even tries to crack a smile every now and then, but the wounds on his lips prevent him from giving a full smile. He looks so tiny in the crib.

As for their dog, we can't even go there right now. I love that dog, but now...no feelings whatsoever. Maybe a lot of anger. Anyway, my brother's friend has him temporarily until they can figure out what to do with him. They don't want him euthanized, but he obviously will not be back in their home. He obviously cannot be adopted by a family with kids. I don't know.

Thanks again folks for your prayers and vibes.

Chris

Chris,

I am so sorry to hear this...he is in my thoughts and prayers.

But there is something as a dog lover I must make very clear. I have two dogs of my own that I love dearly and they are like my kids. However, if they ever draw blood on anyone and not provoked (baby's are excluded, they don't know better) they are done.

I have seen too many dogs once they actually attack, never recover back to normal status. This wasn't a little nip, the dog mauled the child :( You can not control what other people do with the dog, they might not have kids, but friends or other family might.

In good conscious would you feel OK letting a dog loose with other people knowing it attacked a small child? I know I couldn't. This is just some information to process. It isnt an easy decision, but in the long run as hard as it is...it really should be done.

I have worked with troubled dogs in a both a home and a sheltered enviroment. Even the no kill shelters will NOT place a dog that has attacked another person, let alone a child. It is a HUGE liability. :(

Please please please, think about this all.....

Renee:|
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Renee,

I know you're right. Right now the dog is in an environment where he cannot hurt anyone. My brother and sister-in-law cannot even think about this right now. I believe and so does the rest of the family that the dog needs to be euthanized. I think my brother and his wife's nerves are so raw right now that they cannot even deal with it. They haven't left the hospital since last night. They truly love that dog, but at the expense of their son...NO WAY!!!

Ethan will be in the hospital for a few days. When nerves calm down, we will talk with his parents. I already know what the outcome will be. My sister in law is a lot like you. Her love for her pet is huge, but she cannot even think about him right now. She can't even say his name. I can't even say it.

Chris

I'm glad to hear he came through surgery alright. Poor little guy. I hope they are giving him really good drugs!

That is a tough choice for the dog. Maybe there is a rescue society that can take him and place him in an appropriate home.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

What she said, re: the dog. It must be put down.

As for your nephew. Glad to read that he's doing well. He'll be back at it in no time! ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

What she said, re: the dog. It must be put down.

Absolutely, agree 100%.

For all reading, let this be a reminder that dogs are animals and cannot be trusted 100% in every situation. They will sometimes fall back on their basic instincts, even when they have always been on their best behaviour prior to that. When you have small children and a dog in the house, you are taking some risk and you should be aware of that. (A risk I have taken and many other people, but a risk nonetheless)

Chris, happy to hear your nephew is doing well, I hope he has a speedy and relatively pain free full recovery!!!!

What a difference 24 hours makes! I talked with my brother a little while ago. Ethan is much more aware now that the medication is wearing off. He's shoving his one foot in his mouth and chewing on it and he's also cooing and giggling. He's smiling a lot. They're half smiles due to the injuries. They're also feeding by bottle now. We should all be as tough as babies.:)
I can't thank everyone enough. Cool people, all of you.B|

BTW, my brother's friend is bringing the dog to be euthanized tomorrow.:|

Chris

What a difference 24 hours makes! ... Ethan is much more aware now that the medication is wearing off. He's shoving his one foot in his mouth and chewing on it and he's also cooing and giggling.

:)

What a great bit of news...it's so good to hear he's bouncing back a little already - kids have that amazing ability going for them.

Continued prayers will be sent up.

Hang in there Uncle Chris!
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Pray the good Lord gives your nephew excellent doctors with steady hands and a speedy recovery.

The Good Lord did just that! The plastic surgeon was one who specializes in Pediatric Plastic Surgery. The man is an artist. The difference between what I witnessed last night and today is well...like night and day.:)
Happy Holidays everyone!

Chris

Awesome! Thank God babies are so plastic and resiliant. Hopefully this won't have as damaging a psychological effect as it might if he were older... what an ordeal.

I'm sorry to hear the dog will be put down - it's understandable of course - but it's a shame how quickly situations can change from peaceful to horrible. [:/]

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?