Muenkel

Please, prayers/vibes for my 8 month old nephew Ethan.

Couldn't they take the dog to a humane league, pet rescue, or find a home for him? It sounds cruel that a dog is put down because owners didn't keep a dog away from a child too young to interact well with a dog.

Glad your nephew is doing well though!

95% of those will not place a dog that has attacked a child. :( They will do the same thing. It is a liability to place a dog known to attack. I worked for a no-kill shelter, and we kept dogs as long as we needed to, However if the dog has attacked (not nipped, but full on attacked) a person especially a child they were unplaceable. We were far easier on them then the state funded shelters. We were not bound to the rules that they are. Most people don't really realize how many dogs are put down at the pound or various state funded shelters. They have limits to the number of animals they have at any given time and are REQUIRED to take in EVERY dog that comes in. Which means that when they are full and need to make space, if they cant find somewhere else to send them, they kill them :(

I think for all involved that the best course of action with the level of damage done to the child, the dog really should be put down. If it was just a set of teeth marks sure, but not with over 200 stitches :(
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

That's so sad :S If it's a good dog that just isn't good with kids, you'd think it wouldn't be too tough to find a home without small children in it.

Personally, I can't imagine letting any dog that close to an 8 month old... most dogs are just so big and strong comparitively, and could do a lot of damage whether intending to or not.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

That's so sad Crazy If it's a good dog that just isn't good with kids, you'd think it wouldn't be too tough to find a home without small children in it.

Thats just it, if the dog had only shown a lil agression it might be different, but it did serious damage..a line was crossed. :( I agree it is a shame.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto