Jeth

Wings pin sticking out of flap

Hi,

Just got my new Wings, and I noticed that the pin is not actually covered by the flap. That is because the container flaps are not joined on top of each other. (i.e. There is a gap between the left grommet and right grommet.) So the pin sticks out the left side of the flap.

Is this just because my rig is new and the main is a tight fit? On my old rig, the flaps all came together so the grommets were all on top of each other. Is the Wings just not like this? The bridle is covered, but I'd prefer it if the pin was as well.

Yes, I'm going to ask my rigger about this, but I just thought I'd put it out here in case it's a normal thing with Wings. (My rigger doesn't see many Wings at my dz.)

Thanks.:)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Your closing loop is WAY TOO LONG!

We have 18 Wings here and they all come the same way with the closing loop set up for LOOKS ONLY!

You need to tighten it up so that the flaps line up and the pin will then be covered.

If your main is a little large for the rig this may mean a bit of strength is required but it will open once you close it.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

It is a common problem with Wings. If you turn the pin so that it curves right instead of left in your picture, there will be less tendency for it to be exposed. I do that, and fold over the bridle line on top of the pin, to make it stay that way. As others mentioned, also make sure that your closing loop is not too loose.

Well I was wondering about that (the length), but this was packed by my rigger. (He's out of town right now so I can't ask him at the moment.) But I assumed he closed it as tight as he could.
It seems pretty damn tight, I don't know if I could get it any tighter. But it sounds like I'm just going to have to try to shorten it with each pack job. I'll also try the tip on pointing it the other way. Thanks.
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Change the order you are closing the flaps...left first, then right.

This is exactly the order I do it in as well. It also makes it easier to stow the excess bridle under the right flap. Although I have never had, or seen this problem on my Wings or any other...it really appears that your loop is extremely too long. If you cant make it any smaller and still close your container, check the size of your rig to the canopy you are trying to stuff in it. They may not be compatable.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Ok, bottom-top-left-right. I'll try that.

My rigger assembled the rig and shipped it to me, "ready to jump", so I assume he was satisified with the pack job. But I will ask him if he tried to shorten the loop.

Thanks.
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

In my opinion the loop is too long also. If you look at the flaps where they pull under the protector flap you will see that they are unsymmetrical and the flap on the left side needs to be pulled in a bit. After shortening your loop if its tight and your having problems try this. When closing the last flap, flip the rig up on its side. Place your hand on the side of the main container. Put downward pressure towards the floor as you pull on the pull up cord with the other hand. This may make it easier to close with a shorter loop. I hope this makes sense and helps.

Matt Davies

This is how I close mine, it helps checking kill line setting. You may also try to center the bag a little better on the tray before closing the flaps as the rig looks kind of distorted. Kneeling on the bag to squeeze air before closing the flaps helps too.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Yeah, could be the placement of the bag in the tray. Could be the reason why the closing loop was so long in the first place - it had to be because maybe the lines weren't completely to the bottom.

You could try opening it, repositioning the bag and reclosing it to see how it looks. Eh, just a suggestion. Worth a shot, though.

Any particular reason you're suggesting left-right?

Right-left is better because it allows for less bulge under the main pin flap (the flap can lay flatter). She has it correct in her photo.

The bridle should lay flat against the right flap...with the "excess" tucked away better. Putting the pin in facing up in a "smiley face" position helps keep things flat and neat too.

A shorter closing loop will solve the issue of the pin not being covered. The grommets should not be on top of each other (that would cause needless wear), but they should be basically side-by side, not so far apart as in the photo).

I may have posted something similar to this years ago...:D

I'd post a picture of my rig as an example if it wasn't in a different state at this moment!

Any particular reason you're suggesting left-right?

As a matter of fact there is! ;)

First is that is how it is pictured in the Wings owners manual.

Second, tightening the left side first allows it to be pulled tighter since the right side is not yet under tension from the pull up cord. From the looks of the closed rig picture that should help with how asymmetrical the tops of the side flaps hit the main flap.

A tightening of the pull up might be in order as well, but I'd rather make that call after seeing the change in closing sequence.

Right-left is better because it allows for less bulge under the main pin flap (the flap can lay flatter)...

...The bridle should lay flat against the right flap...with the "excess" tucked away better.

I would guess that since the same amount of material is going under the flap the bulge should be the same, but I could be wrong. I would still like to see it closed the other way first though.

Agreed about the bridle...less that is out the better!

Putting the pin in facing up in a "smiley face" position helps keep things flat and neat too.

Not only does it keep things flat and neat, it helps to keep the pin from being pushed out should you be leaning and/or rubbing the back of your main container against anything.

Thanks for asking.B|
Miami

First is that is how it is pictured in the Wings owners manual

While I was at Sunrise, I had to field the closing sequence question on a regular basis. Part of the confusion was that the owner's manual showed left-right in the picture, but said right-left in the written steps. Right-left was the intention.

I don't see how left-right would allow the flaps to be pulled tighter as you mentioned but I suppose I could try it. I'd change it back to right-left before jumping it b/c left-right definitely is more bulky on my rig. Probably something that is more easily shown in person too.

Typically when I saw a Wings with the grommets that far apart it was because the owner had a closing loop that was much too long. Sometimes the pin would then be loose (appropriately sized main but too long a loop) or relatively tight (over-sized main but needed a long loop to get it closed).

Maybe Henri has changed his recommendations..I was always taught right-left, but left -right won't kill ya.;)

And maybe Ankie will respond to the thread! She's the rep, I'm just a Wings jumper.

Also,if you look to the bottom left,it seems that the pack job is not equally done,material not even distribute.Follow also the manual sequence as describe above statment and shorten loop.You might need to re-shorten loop after a couple of jumps.

To add to this, I find that the wings main trey / D bag is wide and not very thick. I find that if I pack to match this, don't try to get your coccon quiet so narrow, that the baged canopy will better fill the outer edges of your container, the rig will be EASIER to close, and you can shorten your closing loop considerably. Hope that helps.

The loop may be too long, however, a problem I have seen with many wings containers is that the rigs are actually sized small, which creates undue stress on the seams. A friend of mine's wings container had stitches popping. When he sold the rig, the guy who bought it put a Sabre 135, downsized from a 150 which fit perfectly...and the reserve was downsized to a PD143.

Just make sure you watch the stitches at the bottom of the reserve container in the main pack tray and on the side seams. This seems to be where the stress is greatest.

Also, an awful lot of "packers" with no rigging experience will tighten your closing loop tooooooo much, therefore creating additional undue stress on the seams. Please make sure you have a rigger look at this rather than "joe packer". They have nothing to lose and it's not their gear.

Kaye