dovev82

Is It Worth $4300 ???

Have your rigger inspect it.

See what the gear costs new and then see what the cost for resizing the harness for yourself would cost with a used rig.

Make sure that the canopies are appropiate for your skill level and weight! This post would make me think that you do not have that many jumps, so a low time jumper wanting to buy a 150/150 rig sends flags up in my mind.

Have you talked to your local S&TA (or equivlent) or your former instructors or your trusted experienced jump mentors about your choice for a 150/150 rig?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I would think that for $4,300 you could buy all brand new equipment !

agreed! when you buy new and then sell you pay the price - unless it is a reserve you don't get close to what you paid. this is the reason I will never buy new again.

rm

where can I find Brand new equipment under $4300?

Try shopping around for one thing and don't look at only one container brand or reserve, also a used cypres can save you money. Your best bet is to take your time and do your homework.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

No one pays MSRP. Except for the cypres you can expect to get 20-25% off all of the rest, just call square1, para-gear, or some other gear store for the real prices.

Without looking at it $4300 seems a bit on the high side for used gear. What is the DOM on the cypres? What are the DOM's of everything for that matter? Does the cypres need anything done to it or will it be up for anythng soon? What kind of condition is the container in? What kind of condition is the main in, has it ever been cutaway, any small holes or patches? How many times has the reserve been packed? A good reference is to check the classifieds here and look at what similar setups are selling for.
Miami

brand new equipment cost:

Voodoo -$2285
Sabre2 150- $1950
PD 143 resreve- $1150
Cypress2- $1300

TOTAL- $6685

where can I find Brand new equipment under $4300?

Wouldn't recommend brand new equipment just yet even if you could get it for that price, which you probably could. You'll probably be looking for other gear in your first few hundred jumps. Here's the price I would be looking for for what you've described:

Sabre2 150 with 300 jumps: $800 - $1000
PD 143 reserve with no rides: $650 - $800
Safe, freefly-friendly first container: $600 - $800
Cypress2: $100 per year of life left. Cypress has a 12-year life, then is not legal. If the Cypress is coming up on the 4-year mark, find out if it needs the factory maintenance and/or new batteries. If it does, adjust the price accordingly.

Total cost: between $2500 and $3500. The price asked for seems high, unless the equipment is very new and in perfect shape. If it is, my personal recommendation is to look for something a little older.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

the cost is $4300...
Is it worth it?[email]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That depends upon where you live.
The price may sound high in the USA, but is considered inexpensive in many European countries because they impose high tariffs on parachutes imported from the USA.

the all package DOM is 2004

Given that knowledge, $4300 may be a good price for that equipment.

Personally, I think that price is worth it only if:

1) The harness fits you very well (does not require re-sizing).

2) You've test-jumped the rig several times and you're very happy with the comfort of the harness and the flying characheristics of the canopy.

3) You like the colors (silly, but it's $4300... why pay a lot if you don't like the colors?)

4) The container is small enough that it will accomodate a main at least 1 size, maybe 2 sizes smaller. While it's certainly not required, typically jumpers will buy a smaller main within their first few years. If the container can't fit a smaller main, then you'll be stuck looking for a new container if and when you decide to buy a new main.

5) You can afford the $4300 without sacrificing too many jumps. I've seen a lot of jumpers get beautiful, expensive gear when they've got 50 jumps, and then they can only afford a few jumps a month. Lots of jumps are way more important than fancy gear. Your first rig needs only to be SAFE.

6) You've had a rigger and instructor look it over, and they agree the equipment is in good condition and appropriate for your skill.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Asking this type of question is tricky.. what you may pay for someting or what worth or value you place on it is or may be diffrent then others.. you have to ask yourself what something is worth and what you are willing to pay.
To me the gear would seem to a decent value, that is if I had the money for it and I was looking for that type of gear.
Is this the gear that is right for you and can you afford it are a few of the questions you need to ask yourself.
Good luck searching for gear. it can be a nightmare to find that just right product. It was daunting for me when i started and I am still glad to this day that I went used for my first few rigs.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

WHy don't you PM Gravity Girl (Bonnie owns Gravity Gear) for a price quote on new gear - I "believe" she can get a bundled package in the $3500.00 range plus new Cypres.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I was offered to buy:
Rigging Innovations Inc - Voodoo- about 500 jumps
PD sabre2 150- about 300 jumps
PD 143 Reserve- no jumps
Cypress 2- not fired
the cost is $4300...
Is it worth it?

Looks too expensive for me. Last year when I was post-AFF and start looking for a new gear, I've got a better deal (Icon/Triathlon/Smart all DOM 2005 for ~$2600). Ask GravityGirl, she might have something for you.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Looks too expensive for me. Last year when I was post-AFF and start looking for a new gear, I've got a better deal (Icon/Triathlon/Smart all DOM 2005 for ~$2600). Ask GravityGirl, she might have something for you.

Yeah, but the tri/smart are cheaper than PD canopies, the icons go for less than Voodoos and your kit doesn't include a cypress 2.

But I'd only look at paying 4300 for all of that if it's a perfect fit, the container can fit a 130 and the colors are all what I liked.

I'd offer 4000 for it, with my maximum being 4200. You're not getting a screaming deal, but it is not a rip off. Were you to buy that rig in a gear shop you'd probably pay 4300. I think a more accurate pricing would be container at 1200, the same for the main, about 8 for the reserve and 9 for the cypress

The thing about VooDoo's (from what've heard and seen) is that they don't look as nice with any other size canopy that the one they were built for. This seems relevant, because seeing as it's a first rig, you're probably going to want to downsize sooner ratrher than later. 150 may be a small wing, but you're only loading it @ 0.9:1 max. Find out what size the container is (V3, etc...). I believe that the V3 is made for a 150 and the V2 is made for a 135ish, and I think they take a canopy one size bigger better than they take a canopy one size smaller. If it's a V2, maybe it'd work better once you downsize. E-mail Rigging Innovations and ask them (http://www.rigginginnovations.com/).

Sean LR
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I'm a low weight (110 lbs) so 150 sq/ft will fit me.
this is the after i've ask my dropzone manager...

Your dropzone manager is flat wrong and I don't care if he's your manager, accountant or AFF instructor. REGARDLESS of what type of canopy it is, a 150 is on size away from being high performance. Be sure to tell him that some dude on the internet told you this.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The rig is worth 4300 if you want a nice, basically brand new rig.

However, do realize that as a lighter jumper, you have a wealth of canopies available to you in the 150sqft range. There are also harness/containers available for you as well if you look enough.

For instance:

-Javelin J1 A14 harness for $650
-PD 143R Reserve for $750
-Main Canopies such as an original Sabre 150 can be picked up for $400-500, just watch around for them, or spend a little bit more and get something like a sabre2/safire2/pilot or a spectre.
-And a used cypres with several years left on it can also be had for about $100 per year left on it.

Find a cypres with 5-6 years left on it for $600 and you have a complete setup for well under $3,000.

With something like a Javelin J1, you should be able to easily downsize to a 135, and should be able to put a 120 in it also. I know I got bored under a canopy loaded under 1:1 VERY quickly. That is all dependant on your skills though, but definately look to the future a bit and get a container that you can downsize with a couple of times early on.

Total cost: between $2500 and $3500. The price asked for seems high, unless the equipment is very new and in perfect shape. If it is, my personal recommendation is to look for something a little older.

So if the gear is in good shape you recommend he gets something older? I never quite understand people that want to go cheap on gear. The last thing I want in middle of executing my EP's on a mal is "I'm glad I've got an old, off brand reserve and container! Man think of the $1,000 bucks I saved!" ;)

Here are my estimates:
Sabre2 150 with 300 jumps: about $1,200 – a new one will cost $1,600
PD 143 reserve with no rides: about $750 – new is about $900ish
Virtually new container est. $1,400
Cypress2: DOM 2004 est. $1,000

Total $4,250

So for relatively new gear the asking price is reasonable. Consult with a rigger to make sure it fits both physically and meets your short and intermediate term gear needs. If you like the gear an can afford it than negotiate the final price.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

So if the gear is in good shape you recommend he gets something older?

Sure.

I never quite understand people that want to go cheap on gear.

It's a much better idea than convincing yourself that the high cost of gear means you need to buy smaller gear now (A 150 is a small canopy at 50 jumps even if you are a lightweight because responsiveness to control input and turn rate are more a function of size and shape than wingloading) to avoid "quickly outgrowing it" and "loosing money" when you down size.

A less expensive rig will be easier to sell for close to what you paid when you decide to have something made to measure.

And most importantly, given finite resources spending more on training and jumps will do more for your skydiving performance and safety than the gear (within reason - Jumping a 1967 Para Commander with a belly mount reserve is fun but not how you want to make most of your skydives); and a custom rig of any brand will be more comfortable than the most expensive one built for some one that's a different body size+shape.

The last thing I want in middle of executing my EP's on a mal is "I'm glad I've got an old, off brand reserve and container! Man think of the $1,000 bucks I saved!" ;)

Old gear is like old planes - as long as it's properly maintained and operated within documented limits, it works as well as it did when new but doesn't look as pretty. I don't have any problems riding a 1969 Otter to altitude or jumping a 1996 Reflex on a regular basis.

Spending less also doesn't mean off-brands. I paid about $750 in total for my last Javelin and Raven reserve. While I'd prefer a better reinforced reserve for freeflying (I got the rig for accuracy, wingsuit, and demo jumps where that's not relevant) the Javelin is an OK container.

So if the gear is in good shape you recommend he gets something older? I never quite understand people that want to go cheap on gear. The last thing I want in middle of executing my EP's on a mal is "I'm glad I've got an old, off brand reserve and container! Man think of the $1,000 bucks I saved!"

Dude... did you even read my next post?

Older or less expensive does not mean inferior. My first rig:

Vector III, zero jumps: $650 + $150 for harness resizing
Sabre 135 with fresh reline: $900 (would be much cheaper today)
Micro-raven 150 with 1 use: $600
3-year-old cypres: $600

So for under 3 grand, I got very safe gear. I don't think people should skimp on their gear, I just think you don't need all brand new stuff for your first rig.

Sure, you can get a Sabre2 with 300 jumps for $1200. Or, you could get a Sabre1 with 300 jumps for $500. You can get a virtually new container for $1400 or $800... you just have to look around. And you can get a new cypress for $1000, or a 6-year old, equally safe cypress for $500. Granted, the cypress is life-limited and you'll have to buy a new one sooner, but that's several years away, and when you're already shelling out several thousand dollars for gear and student training, it might help to save a few hundred dollars in the short-term.