packing_jarrett

Which container do you jump

Other.....many times!

I currently own two Eclipses, a Talon, and an Infinity.

INMHO the Eclipse was/is the most comfortable rig ever made. I have jumped Racers, Vectors, Javelins, Dolphins, Corsairs (my second favorite) Strong, Handbury, Northern lites (the original Infinity) and several others I can't remember.

Back in the day you could not beat the Corsair for comfort and reserve deployment. Sniff.... I wish I would have kept that one.....

Since they don't make Eclipses any more my vote would go to Infinity as the best now. My Talon is an old one from the 80's that I only use for CRW. Who cares if the flaps come open?

Racers have not changed much in 20 years. Still rigger un-friendly and basically annoying. Friends don't let friends jump racers.
;)

Racers have not changed much in 20 years. Still rigger un-friendly and basically annoying.

ok so you love your infinity - that is fine. but this statement this is complete bullshit. Jumpshack have 3 models to pick from, the newest (2k3) is a bulletproof freefly rig. I will only ever jump a Racer - unmatched comfort, reserve pin protection. minimalist design - four flaps for reserve, four flaps for main.

rm

ok so you love your infinity - that is fine. but this statement this is complete bullshit. Jumpshack have 3 models to pick from, the newest (2k3) is a bulletproof freefly rig. I will only ever jump a Racer - unmatched comfort, reserve pin protection. minimalist design - four flaps for reserve, four flaps for main.

rm

That is your opinion. They may be great to jump but they are a pain in the ass to to pack. Minimalist design? You have got to be kidding. Easily the most complicated reserve container ever made. 4 flaps on the reserve? You might want to re-check that.

That is your opinion. They may be great to jump but they are a pain in the ass to to pack. Minimalist design? You have got to be kidding. Easily the most complicated reserve container ever made. 4 flaps on the reserve? You might want to re-check that.

The easiest to repack ..... if you know how;)

Mwa ha ha ha! We're gonna turn this into one of those thread:D.

Seriously, If you can say they are rigger unfriendly like it's fact, then I can claim it's the most rigger freindly like it's fact.

Probably the most frustrating thing about having a Racer is having people talking shit about them.

Racers are a good system. If you know how to pack them they are the easiest.

But then again, I built my 2k3 and my Tandem, what would I know.:P

By the way, my elite has 4 reserve flaps while my 2k3 has a fith that makes up the top of the shield. I think getting rid of the first bottom flap would put too much strain on the shield, but you'd have to ask Tim Web about that one.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

minimalist design - four flaps for reserve, four flaps for main.
------------------------------------------------------------
Minimalist design? You have got to be kidding. Easily the most complicated reserve container ever made.
------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about the newest model Racer, but I can speak from volumes of experience building Racer knockoffs (in England in the 80's), my own "private" stash of "racers" made over the years and the much more complicated Reflex that I designed and built. Those Racers are "minimilist" design rigs. They are the simplest quickest and least expensive H/C to produce, that's one reason the were copied so extensivly. The parts count for the Racer is about 1/4 of the pieces needed for the Vector.

I'm not trying to diminish the Racer here, hell I have thousands of jumps on them, the're the reason I designed the Reflex (love the pop top), but from a production point of view they really are the easiest and quickest to get out the door. So yes they are minimilist rigs.

Mick.

Racers have not changed much in 20 years. Still rigger un-friendly and basically annoying. Friends don't let friends jump racers.
;)

Not a correct statement about the Jump Shack Racer. Here are some facts.

Teflon cutaway cables: maintenance-free (who really remembers to oil their yellow Lolon cables once a month?)

Extendable, non-compressible cutaway housings to resist compression (and the loop being pulled up into the housing), during a difficult cutaway (caused by un-oiled cables or out-of-tolerance 3-rings or spinning malfunctions that result in excessive loop load as the rings themselves twist and side-load)

Speed bag to prevent line dump and parachute failures

Ergonomically shaped ripcord handle, which reduces the force necessary to pull

The most protected ripcord pins in the world (they're against your back).

The fastest reserve deployment WITH or WITHOUT rsl. The Skyhook is only as fast as the Racer has always been. The Racer produces 2 second reserve deployments even at low speed without an rsl. Remember, rsl's are not appropriate for everyone (i.e. camera jumpers, CRW jumpers, users of high performance canopies that will send you tumbling and spinning from a cutaway). The Racer pilot chute has the most drag of any reserve parachute in the industry (tested in NASA wind tunnel). Furthermore, the Racer's 3" wide free bag bridle is probably the only bridle with enough drag to actually extract a bag from it's container. Other’s use 2 " bridles. Still haven't figured out why they haven't made that improvement.

The Racer's harness is stronger yet lighter because Jump Shack uses better material, (Type 13 for the MLW is 7000 lb tensile strength vs. Type 7 which is 6000 lb tensile strength; Type 13 is slightly thicker and makes all the difference in preventing slippage of webbing in the hardware.

Fewer Reserve flaps open wider and more freely after the reserve ripcord is pulled, resulting in quicker bag extraction from container.

And who brought line stows to the center of the bag! Jump Shack again.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.