xlh883

Packing and short of stature

My first and last dropzone had hooks that I was trained on for packing. The dropzones I will be patronizing here in Ohio so far don't haev hooks to hang the canopy on. Having tried shoulder packing twice with no success, are there any solutions out there that could simulate the hook?

I am 5'5" tall with a Pilot 210. Big canopy, short guy.

Thanks.

David

THanks for the encourangement. Part of the problem is the new canopy with only 7 packs on it. I forgot to mention that. I just feel like I can't see well enough to flake it right and I haev a really hard time rolling the darn tail tight enough to get a good tight pack job before putting it down. I will keep trying. Maybe I need to have someone watch me do it and make suggestions.

Sometimes being short sucks.:S

David

Hey,

I agree, I am 5'8 and I pro pack a 210 fairly easily. Give pro packing a better chance. But as mentioned there is always flat packing which takes longer (usually) and takes more space, btu requires nothing about height.

I have a new canopy (35 jumps) and it can be a bit*h to get in the bag. It all takes practice. Don't give up!!

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

My GF is 4'11" and she's packed 210+ canopies many times pro-packing. The packer last summer was only about 5'2" and she could pack tandems faster then most people can pack a sport main. Niether of them use hooks.

There is always flat packing, but it comes easy in time to just toss a weight in and propack. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Also, realize that it doesn't have to hang over your shoulders and you don't need both hands. I hold the lines, still separted with fingers into front, rear, and steering, in one hand and pack with the other. I switch hands to do the other side. This may hold it higher and be easier to see than having it over your shoulder.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

hmm, if you are really really wanting to use a hook, i bet if you go down to home depot, you can easily make something with pvc that would work, can make it to where you 'snap' it together when you get there and take it apart when you leave. .. square base, almost looking like a hang man's noose *the game*

_____
| J
|
|
|
_|______
|_|_______|
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

My wife is 5'1" and packs everything of all sizes all the way up to tandems very well. So you should be able to do it, you've got a whole 4" of height on her. Talk to your local riggers about packing tips and as you really learn to pack you'll figure it out. You won't need hooks to hang the canopy from, a shoulder should work just fine.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Also, realize that it doesn't have to hang over your shoulders and you don't need both hands. I hold the lines, still separted with fingers into front, rear, and steering, in one hand and pack with the other. I switch hands to do the other side. This may hold it higher and be easier to see than having it over your shoulder.

but at the speed a new person flakes, likely exhausting? I bet that part of the routine is less than 60 seconds for you.

I had enough trouble with a 220 on my 6' frame. Or the 265 I initially trained on.

you'll get better with practice. A little stronger, a lot faster. I can do the flaking and lay down of my canopy (tri 210) in 3 or 4 minutes, I think. The slowdown for me is still bagging the new fabric.

At least you get color assistance on the pilot, right?

Color on the lines yes, but I get confused on the cells themselves sometimes as my canopy goes from blue to red to grey on the right side. Makes it harder to get the cells flaked individually. You'd have to do it to understand what I mean, I think.

When asked by "hook cripples" how to learn to Pro-pack over the shoulder... I take their canopy off of the hook, put it over their shoulder, tell them to never put it back on a hook... "Pack it"... and walk away... :ph34r::P:S;):)

Smart ass.:P:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals