xlh883

Packing and short of stature

I have been told that. In fact, one person advised me to ust let the packers do it for 100 times. I know she was right, but I want to pack some to.

Another option is to pay the packer during the day, and take your canopy home to pack it yourself (and practice with all week) after your last jump of the day. That way you don't have to deal with the frustration of having other people around, or be itching to get on a load instead of packing.

Talk with the packers at your DZ. Most of us love to help people learn to pack and get better at it.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

If it's any consolation, us giant folks have our own set of problems.

We can flake it no worries, but I generally get a few laughs once it's on the ground and I'm trying to contort myself and flatten out the top again after the first S-fold ;)

(I'm 6'5" and I'm the only jumper I know who uses their nose routinely as a packing implement :P)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Try flat packing. Until you get used to packing over the shoulders.

It just takes practice and time///;)

How do you get used to packing over the shoulders if you flat pack?

We have a girl at our dropzone.. doubt she is even 5 ft tall, and she pro-packs tandems. Her problem is purging them. Even rolled up they are still twice the size of her. She uses a rug.. just throws it on top of the canopy and moves on to the next pack job and comes back when it is purged.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Unfortunately ParaGear no longer offers the Tie-Down Hooks that they once carried. I have looked high and low and have yet to find a hook equal to the task in hook packing.

Yes, I admit that hook packing can generate a dependency on the hook which is hard to overcome. I never teach packing using a hook to alleviate the problems identified in this thread. However I have been able to reduce my own fatigue and provide more consistent packing throughout the day when I do use a hook.
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm

David,

Some great advice has already been posted here. Good packing does not depend on being tall. Practice is needed.

To me the biggest hurtle to get through when learning to pack is one that I've seen few people teach. That is the mental aspect of packing. Just like visualizing helps with your skydiving, it helps with your packing. You need to know that you can pack and pack a brand new canopy. Taking control of your pack job and staying in control of your pack job will have a greater affect than hooks and getting taller.

Many other people who have trouble transitioning from over their shoulder to on the ground in their PRO pack were incorrectly shown to flop the canopy down. Often this is compounded by watching experienced professional packers accomplish this maneuver. What you don't see is that this is setting the canopy horizontal on the ground. This is actually more gentle and more tricky than it looks. A proper set down to the ground will do more to control your flaking than rolling the tail tightly.

Finally review the main packing instructions provided by Performance Designs. As described by the manual and demonstrated by PD Tour personnel, you do not need to sling the canopy over your shoulder to achieve a quality PRO Pack. It is acceptable to allow the canopy to rest some on the ground as you flake out the fabric. Check out the PD website and as always continue to ask questions about your gear and your safety.
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm

I appreciate your sound advice.

I was able to get some tutoring yesterday from DZ.com's Phreezone at his dropzone. I am goign to be jumping there from now on.

Anyway, he showed me a few tricks to shoulder packing including putting one set of liens on each shoulder. He also showed me how to control the pack job quite a bit better and to make it a lot narrower.

I feel more confident now and just need some more practice. It also seems that the high humidity made things a tad easier also.

Thanks everyone and especially Phreezone for the help. I should be able to take it from here.

David