rhys

new relative workshop product?

>Or interferience with a side mount camera?

That's the only device that should be sensitive to magnetic fields. (Well, that and Ipods.) Should be interesting to see if photographers like them or not.

A side issue is that magnets tend to attract ferrous trash (like iron filings.) You can drag a magnet across the ground and pick up all sorts of odd bits of trash; I wonder if dragging a rig across the grass/packing mat will have a similar effect.

In a perfect world, I would like to "test" all new products for years before pronouncing them "ready" for market. However, everyone who tries these riser covers wants them...NOW. So, we have decided to release them with the caveat: "While magnetic riser covers have no obvious flaws, God knows what the next few years will show us about them."

You should, however, keep them at least 6'' away from the aircraft compass.

Ok, that's what I was wondering. Thank you.

So I guess those rigs will be hard to use in a 182 if you're sitting in the "student" position.

The magnets we use aren't all that strong. You need a tall tandem master trying to get near the compass to swing the needle. Anyway, once the pilot sets his gyro compass, it is a non-issue. Besides, GPS is not affected, and that's all most of us use nowadays.

How about just plain old high iron content dirt?
My Paraglider risers have magnetic keepers to hold the toggles to the risers. A little bit of the wrong kind of dirt really makes them ineffective.
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

Iron rich "dirt" is something I have been concerned about from the first. I have dumped iron filings all over the covers, and they just brush off. We will have to see if it is a real problem or not. I know it is not in Florida, because one test jumper has over 300 jumps on them. However, it is possible that people in certain areas will have to careful not to drag their rigs through the dirt. I think they will find that the advantages the magnetic riser covers offer might just be worth a little extra effort when handling their gear. For instance, PD thinks that tuck tab riser covers, releasing unevenly, are the main cause of otherwise unexplained hard openings that are injuring jumpers so often nowadays. To me, that is more than reason enough to keep them in good working order.

When I first came out with the 3-ring, some people worried out loud that twigs and grass would get into the white closing loop and lock up the system. Luckily, they were wrong.

Is this idea going to be used on the other covers on the rig? Like the reserve- and main flaps?

Are these new covers delivered with all new Vector rigs?
A skydiver's famous last words:
- Hey! Hold my beer, and watch this...!
- If that guy can do it, so can I...!
- In 9 out of 10 this will work out just fine. Don't worry about it...!

Is this idea going to be used on the other covers on the rig? Like the reserve- and main flaps?

At the moment, only on riser covers. They are a $25 option. Tuck tabs are still standard. Our tuck-up main protector flaps, and tuck-under reserve protector flaps on Vectors and Microns work so well, I see no reason to change them. Riser covers are the problem that needs fixing.

At the moment, only on riser covers. They are a $25 option. Tuck tabs are still standard. Our tuck-up main protector flaps, and tuck-under reserve protector flaps on Vectors and Microns work so well, I see no reason to change them. Riser covers are the problem that needs fixing.

Bill, you're a God damn genius!! This solution sounds so simple, but once again you was the first who had this idea and invented it! Great job! :)

Don't be a Lutz!

you was the first who had this idea and invented it

I'm a true Bill beard follower and marvel about his inovations, but this is not his invention as far as I know. Have heard of magnetic riser covers for some years now. But knowing bill he perfected them anyways. ( Watt also didn't invent the steam engine)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

For instance, PD thinks that tuck tab riser covers, releasing unevenly, are the main cause of otherwise unexplained hard openings that are injuring jumpers so often nowadays. To me, that is more than reason enough to keep them in good working order.

While I have the utmost repsect for everyone at PD and stand behind their products and R&D 100%, they have also been known to grasp at straws to explain unexplainable deplyment issues (such as 3/8" tape for rubber band stows causing surging on opening). I only point this out because my crystal ball forsees rumors of blanket statements such as "tuck tab riser covers create hard openings", when in fact, not all tuck tabs are created, or function, exactly the same. That being said, I can certainly see where some riser covers, packed improperly and deployed with a shoulder low, could have an adverse affect on how a canopy opens.

I just might have to play with some of these rare earth magnets that have been collecting dust on my desk:)

For instance, PD thinks that tuck tab riser covers, releasing unevenly, are the main cause of otherwise unexplained hard openings that are injuring jumpers so often nowadays.

Good grief.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

For instance, PD thinks that tuck tab riser covers, releasing unevenly, are the main cause of otherwise unexplained hard openings that are injuring jumpers so often nowadays. To me, that is more than reason enough to keep them in good working order.

While I have the utmost repsect for everyone at PD and stand behind their products and R&D 100%, they have also been known to grasp at straws to explain unexplainable deplyment issues (such as 3/8" tape for rubber band stows causing surging on opening). I only point this out because my crystal ball forsees rumors of blanket statements such as "tuck tab riser covers create hard openings", when in fact, not all tuck tabs are created, or function, exactly the same. That being said, I can certainly see where some riser covers, packed improperly and deployed with a shoulder low, could have an adverse affect on how a canopy opens.

I just might have to play with some of these rare earth magnets that have been collecting dust on my desk:)

Thought about magnets in 97 or 98, even played with a few of em with various riser cover designs. Seemed like a good idea at the time, just too many outside factors to consider them approchable. Old fashioned friction physics and electromechanical phyisics are (no pun intended) poles apart. I gained a degree in electronics in 88 and had a greater understanding of the eletromagnetic spectrum than I previously thought possible. All of this led me to the conclusion that the electromagnetic world and the gravitational world were not yet ready to meet each other on a polarized/ non polerized field of battle. In this day and age of RF devices (they are myraid), magnets in the wrong place and time could spell disaster. Food for thought. Music major Bill (B) what say yee?

Mick.

Magnet closure is now used all over the place, from cell phone holsters, to women's purses, to rain gear, to refrigerators. Magnetic bracelets are being endowed with miraculous healing powers, and selling (I'm sure) in the millions, for God sake.

As I said above, we have rubbed our riser cover magnets all over every electronic device we could think of, with no ill effects. I don't claim they are perfect. I just think they work better than anything else we now have. Otherwise, why would I go to all the trouble of introducing them.

By the way, my first major in college was aerospace engineering. I switched to music simply because the music majors had better drugs. It was the 60's after all. (Just kidding kids.)

Any pics of the new covers posted anywhere? Are they removable (i can't imagine why, except perhaps when washing the rig...)?

I too would like to see pictures. While I think I have clear understanding of the product. My eyes are yearning to look upon them....Do you have any pics available to post Bill?

Any pics of the new covers posted anywhere? Are they removable (i can't imagine why, except perhaps when washing the rig...)?

I too would like to see pictures. While I think I have clear understanding of the product. My eyes are yearning to look upon them....Do you have any pics available to post Bill?

It's very simple. (It has to be, because nothing in skydiving that is very complicated, ever seems to work out.) The magnetic outer riser cover fits into a pocket with two more rare earth magnets in it. I'll see if I can get someone to get some pictures up on our new website (which isn't even finished yet). Things are moving too fast. I didn't intend to start talking about this for a couple of weeks.

Magnet closure is now used all over the place, from cell phone holsters, to women's purses, to rain gear, to refrigerators. Magnetic bracelets are being endowed with miraculous healing powers, and selling (I'm sure) in the millions, for God sake.

As I said above, we have rubbed our riser cover magnets all over every electronic device we could think of, with no ill effects. I don't claim they are perfect. I just think they work better than anything else we now have. Otherwise, why would I go to all the trouble of introducing them.

By the way, my first major in college was aerospace engineering. I switched to music simply because the music majors had better drugs. It was the 60's after all. (Just kidding kids.)

Touche' Bill. Just wanted to "shake the tree" a little is all. Glad you've done the testing and found it a viable proposistion, good luck with it.

Mick.

Things are moving too fast. I didn't intend to start talking about this for a couple of weeks.

Seriously? I was hearing rumors about this back in July. I'm sure others heard about it before then. You've been around long enough to know that there are no secrets in skydiving and things travel 100x's faster now with DZ.com.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have had magnets on my Birdman S6 to hold the booties since I've had it. They work fantastic and are way faster than snaps. It will be standard on all the next generation of Birdman suits more than likely. S-fly and Matter have also started using magnets on their suits although they are using the smaller magnets often found on womens purses and jacket snaps. The S-fly uses it on the arm wings;the Matter MTR3 suit uses it for booties.

I think the use of magnets is a fantastic idea but I will say this, Rare earth magnets are no joke. They are scary strong and can draw blood if not carefully handled. Likewise, they will wipe all information off of a credit card when exposed to the magnetic strip. There is no doubt that rare earth magnets can and do effect electronics as well, depending on their proximity and strength. Standard small household magnets have dramaticaly less, to no negative effect on most electronics. Of course, there are always exceptions and or situations that may dictate otherwise.Thorough testing is the way to better understand the true effects magnets have on the components commonly used in skydiving.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Bill

George Galloway didn’t have any thing to do with rekindling your passion for rare earth magnets did he? After all it wasn’t to long ago when he was visiting all us manufacturers here in FL. with his Para Telemetry Parachute Recovery System and all them nice shiny rare earth magnets he was handing out.

Jeff