Slider68

Has your skydiving habits been a cause of ending a relationship?

Yes for a lot of people.

Not for me though. The wife and I have learned to compromise.

To compromise is everything in a relationship. If the SO won't compromise, say byebye.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

In '01, my husband (at the time) bought me my first jump. I got addicted. Spent more and more time physically and mentally skydiving, chasing a CRW dream. He got jealous. Said I didn't make him #1 any more. Of course, he had enough women on the side, that he shouldn't have needed to be #1 with every one of them. [:/]

We're divorced now. So...I guess I'm an AIDS casualty. B|

Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Nope. It's been the cause of my relationship. Met my SO when we were both newly-A licensed jumpers a little over two years ago ... we're still jumping and still together. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A recently divorced 30yo had moved back in with her mother.

When I called, I was informed by her mother that, "She isn't going to hang around and wait for someone to kill themselves. When you give up that foolishness, she can go out with you."

I wonder what she has been doing since 1995.
:D

A recently divorced 30yo had moved back in with her mother.

When I called, I was informed by her mother that, "She isn't going to hang around and wait for someone to kill themselves. When you give up that foolishness, she can go out with you."

I wonder what she has been doing since 1995.
:D

Her fucking loss, as far as you're concerned. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think it did the opposite for me but, I can definitely see how it could cause problems for some. I have known my BF for years but, we really started to get close 3 years ago. We were best friends(and still are:)) and at the time he had recently finished aff. I can remember him going on and on about skydiving and it used to drive me nuts! I was getting so sick of hearing every detail of every jump non stop. After skiing in the winter I would stop with him at the DZ so he could make sunset load. After a few trips and an observer ride I finely got up the nerve to do AFF. It brought us even closer and we started dating at the american boogie in 05' Now when both of us come home form work we can have dinner or watch TV and go on and on and on about skydiving or our newer passion flying and no one is annoyed:P:DB|

Fly like a girl

having never ben married, i can't speak on the divorce thing................but................i did have a girlfriend that said to me "if i come see you this weekend, promise me we won't just go to the DZ"................i replied..........."this just isn't working out"................then i named my red pillow after her.

on the upside, i found a skydiving girl that makes me happier than all the other "whuffos" combined..........thank god! now we share jump tickets!
when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar........................ you might as well get a damn cookie!

if your relationship disolves because you are skydiving, then the relationship was doomed from start.
If you would put your skydiving ahead of your relationship then it's doomed from the start.
If someone puts extreme (either/or) conditions of any sort on your relationship it's probably... you guessed it. Doomed from the start.:ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

...If you would put your skydiving ahead of your relationship then it's doomed from the start.
If someone puts extreme (either/or) conditions of any sort on your relationship it's probably... you guessed it. Doomed from the start.:ph34r:

Yeah, I agree...it's a two-way street. You're both doomed when one or the other puts up a stop sign. Most skydivers blow through the stop sign and keep on truckin'.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

if your relationship disolves because you are skydiving, then the relationship was doomed from start.
If you would put your skydiving ahead of your relationship then it's doomed from the start.

Yep... what he said... I'm currently in a relationship with a skydiver and I still put the relationship before skydiving...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I've been watching this show for 20+ years. I've been (happily) divorced for the last 11 of them. My then wife got "lonely" with me being at the DZ all the time. We met when I had 500 dives. I had 1500 dives when we got married, and around 2500 when we got divorced.

I think it's easier for men to date whuffo's than women. A lot of whuffo men seem too insecure to have a relationship with a skydiving woman. It's like dating a famous person. They can get a lot of attention.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Now I get my jumpsuits for free and everything.:)

"free"?

let's see -

new serger
industrial sewing machine
hardwood floor
work computer
startup inventory
track lighting
file cabinets
desk
chair
build work tables
etc
etc
etc

Free? Yeah, RIGHT

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ya know, I'm perfectly happy dating a Whuffo. I make sure she understands that Saturdays are for jumping, it's what I do, and I will continue for a long time. I make compromises, but I think understanding and compromise will prevent andy AIDS syndrome you can come up with. If not, then you are probably in a manipulative relationship in the first place and you should go for silver....
=========Shaun ==========

I had AIDS once. It was the best thing that ever happened to me really. Afterwards, I didn't worry about having to "check in" with someone as I was jumping the day away or having to explain what a "Horny Gorilla" was and that it was a skydiving thing, not something sexual. There were so many things he got frustrated about, and vice versa. I aksed him to go with me a few times and he refused. I tried.. I've been in remission for 4 years and I feel better than ever. :)
So, yup, I think it's real.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Now I get my jumpsuits for free and everything.:)

"free"?

let's see -

new serger
industrial sewing machine
hardwood floor
work computer
startup inventory
track lighting
file cabinets
desk
chair
build work tables
etc
etc
etc

Free? Yeah, RIGHT

Well, yeah there is all that stuff but all of the machines and computers were paid for with money made from other suits. Cash at the point of purchase. Nothing came out of our personal budget. Then JohnMitchell built all the tables and desks and racks and cabinets himself. So really, I'm going to say he's getting all his suits for free at this point. His first few jumpsuits cost him a bit of time and labor but now it's all butter. B|

His first few jumpsuits cost him a bit of time and labor but now it's all butter. B|

:D:D:D:D

I refuse to run the cost of the first two suits (no one likes to see a grown man cry).....We did get back quite a bit more from Uncle Sam that year.

It's completely worth it.

mmm, Butter.

I should send you guys, sometime, pics of the work tables her dad made for the biz. He really did it right.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I refuse to run the cost of the first two suits (no one likes to see a grown man cry).....We did get back quite a bit more from Uncle Sam that year.

We kind of grew along as the business grew, and paid for it as we went. Valinda's first jumpsuit was sewn on a cheap $100 Brother machine from Costco. Then we got a Bernina home machine or two. Now we've got industrial everything, resale numbers, tax IDs, and the accountant to help us depreciate it all.

Jumpsuits are cool, but Valinda likes the machine embroidery business even better. That can be a real money maker.