SarahC07

What do you suggest?

I'm trying to find a good book to read. Any suggestions?

Generally, I only read non-fiction. It's not that I don't like fiction, I just see non-fiction as a bit more practical. Please suggest both.

Keep it semi-short (under 500 pages) and very interesting.

If we go the fiction route - adventurous with well developed characters and/or some psychological thriller...

I'm going to survive Christmas with this book - so make it a good one. :P

Billions and Billions - Carl Sagan (forgive me, I forget if books are in "quotes" or underlined.

or, The Bible,
The Lexus and the Olive Tree, by Thomas L. Friedman,
Understanding the Arab World, by Louis Bahjat Hamada, or
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey.

Penthouse Letters always keeps me involved too.
Roll Tide Roll

Books :)... non-fiction is my favorite too :)
Some of my top recommendations:

A 2nd nomination for Jared Diamond’s Guns, Germs and Steel (to understand how geography and biology impact human history and culture) .. if that one’s a little intimidating at 480 pages, his Why Is Sex Fun?: The Evolution of Human Sexuality is another fascinating option.

Tom Barnett’s The Pentagon’s New Map (to understand global geopolitics)

Armchair-adventurer brain-candy: Jon Krakauer’s Into Thin Air about the spring 1996 expeditions to climb Mount Everest.

Charles “Chick” Perrow’s Normal Accidents: Living with High-Risk Technologies is a fascinating modern classic on the intersection of complex (often hazardous) modern systems and humans … & what happens when things go wrong catastrophically. (His most recent The Next Catastrophe: Reducing Our Vulnerabilities to Natural, Industrial, and Terrorist Disasters sites my work. :$)

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (all 5 books of the trilogy) - Douglas Adams

I've been reading The Salmon of Doubt

It isn't a novel like the increasingly inaccurately named HHGG Trilogy. :ph34r: It is a combination of his writing and the observations of others about him.

In other news... I am a fan of Frederick Forsythe.
(Day of the Jackal, Dogs of War...)
I just finished reading The Afghan.
Terrific book. Page-turner. As usual, fiction, but based on factual events.

Also, since a guy from Pakistan worked right next to me, it really made for interesting (but careful) discussions.

Just got done reading Pillars of the Earth....started reading it before it hit Oprah's list of "must reads." Pretty decent...but it is about 1000 pages.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Either "War and Peace" or the "Penthouse" November issue.:D:P

How about "Penthouse Uncensored"? Gooooood stuff! All kinds of kinky and sexy encounters that people experienced and wrote about in letters to Penthouse Magazine! ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hyperspace by Michio Kaku
The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene

Haven't read either of them yet but I just ordered them. They are supposed to be really interesting.

And I just decided not to make a hint about the bible;)

Generally, I only read non-fiction. It's not that I don't like fiction, I just see non-fiction as a bit more practical. Please suggest both.

If we go the fiction route - adventurous with well developed characters and/or some psychological thriller...

This should be a good little read.>http://www.amazon.com/Colossus-Rise-Fall-American-Empire/dp/0143034790;)Here is the condensed video version>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ag4u6d3Hyg
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (all 5 books of the trilogy) - Douglas Adams

Funny you should mention that. I am re-reading now...for the 9th time.
:D:D

Not-so-obscure references:
Fjords anyone?
Can I take you on a date to a most elegant restaurant?
Is this all there is to life? You can have it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Never been much of a non-fiction reader, but I love Dean Koontz for fiction. Most of his books could happen. Dark Rivers of the Heart is a great psychological thriller. Very good must read!