tomvailco

Worried Girlfriend

I started dating this girl and it's been about 5 months now. she came down with me to do my level 6 & 7. On my level 7 she did a tandem and was fine about the whole thing. Now that I'm about to order my rig and going every weekend to earn my A all I hear from her is that she doesnt want me to skydive anymore. She still comes to the dropzone every time with me but last time she was crying as I was getting on the plane. Should I tell her to stop coming to the drop zone? What have others done in this situation??

really good head! plus very nice assets gotta keep her!

There are plenty of hot women out there that can polish a good knob. You've got to be happy together. If you're writing here, then you must be pretty serious about skydiving - at least for the moment. If she really can't get over her fears, and you're really not willing to give up skydiving, maybe it's time to cutaway.

I tried to appease a non-skiing (now ex) girlfriend by limiting my skiing and snowboarding a few years ago. In the end, I ended up feeling guilty when I was skiing and resentful when I was giving up skiing to spend time with her. I could have saved myself a year of hassle, so now one of my qualifying criteria is that prospective girlfriends need to be able to accept my hobbies and leisuretime activities, including skydiving, skiing and snowboarding.

I'm 25 and she's 23 I've tried to discuss it with her to no avail. Between her and my father, they act like I'm as good as dead once I put my rig on. >:(

so what happened between your level 7 (her tandem) and now? Did someone biff a landing, or has she been reading about accidents? Someone hit on her at the DZ?

You can't beat an irrational fear, but if it's based on some event, you have a chance.

so what happened between your level 7 (her tandem) and now? Did someone biff a landing, or has she been reading about accidents? Someone hit on her at the DZ?

You can't beat an irrational fear, but if it's based on some event, you have a chance.

All she has seen is a couple of cutaways, and heard stories of course.

I personally never take anyone to the DZ, its my sanctuary. I've shown some people around but thats it. I was seeing a girl once who wasn't exactly available on the market. Showed her around. She liked the place... next weeekend she was there with her boyfriend. AWKWARD! :|

None of my whuffo friends come to the DZ and I have never encouraged them to do anything to do with skydiving. Last thing I want is people from my regular day to day life showing up on my one escape activity. I guess its same for people who fish or golf too. I enjoy the total freedom I have, part of that I gain from cutting away from real life. When I'm at the DZ I have no bills, I have no GF problems, I dont care that I got a 60 hour week ahead of me.

If your not going to have the support to jump, and you will want to put alot of time (and money) in down the DZ, its not going to work. [:/]

It might be that your spending more time at the DZ talking to other people than to her. Or maybe she is just freaking out that you may get hurt. Just take it slow and talk to her about what is bugging her. I went through the same thing with my girl, but I had about 50 jumps when it happened. Good Luck

Personally, I don't blame her. She is right! If you are any sort of decent boyfriend she thought before hand that she had any future with, she is literally watching that 'fly away" with every load you are now getting on. Seriously.

Very soon it will be consuming AT LEAST 1/2 of your total disposable income, and similar amounts of your disposable leisure time. She has something there, LEGITIMATE to fear! ;)

Whuffo significant others and "new" skydivers unfortunately in my observational experience, very rarely, very well "mix", - let alone LAST.

You might be needing to make a very tough decision - either way, pretty soon.

Good luck!

Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Honestly, I do not like my wife to jump because I love her immensely and naturally I do not want anything bad to happen to her. But it makes her happy so I do not say anything negative, just make certain she has good gear and is trained well and prepared for the endeavor. Luckily she lost interest about a year ago. She encourages me to jump as much as I can though because she knows it is good for my mental health.

I have read it in a post before that bottom line, that when we jump we have effectively committed suicide unless we do something to prevent it, but that has not been the concern of mine as much as it is someone taking her out, that seems to be on the rise lately

So I understand your girls concerns, and giving our loved ones what is best or them is a double edge sword that requires understanding and acceptance on both sides of the fence.

Educating her might be the best next step.
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Choose your priorities and if you choose to jump, you must not feel like you're losing "the" girl.

alot of good advice from ppl here,, i think the most important is to sit down and discuss the hobby with her, and see where the discussion go's... but you have only been with her 5 months,, so i think a big thing is what one poster wrote which i quoted at the top,, this is deciding where your prioritys are before you get too far along in the hobby/GF...good luck on the outcome whichever you choose..

If you decide to stay with her just understand that skydiving will not be part of your future.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

It just took me a long time to figure it out for myself. Now I am divorced and I am back skydiving.

Should never have given skydiving up.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Thanks I just talked to her about it and she says it may scare her but she sees that itmakes me happy so I guess we'll see where it goes. I really like this one.

My only suggestion if you've decided to keep her is to watch for signs that you are being manoeuvred out of jumping. Like when you plan to go jumping on a Saturday and then she has other plans that need you.

Thats what happened to me, over time I was jumping less and less, until it was just gone.

Not saying that your woman is like like that, just that my wife was.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

HMMM sorry dude
those women can really mess it up
mine GF in the begining was kind of OK (scared of skydiving and girls at DZ) but still no problem with me jumping, after seson i had stupid jokes and coments about me spending time and going out there. And trust me I was not at the DZ every weekend I make lightly over 100's jump per seson
No more that GF.
So far is good
ANY SKYDIVING SINGLE WOMEN OUT THERE?
adrenaline

WARNING: NEWBIE RESPONSE

All she has seen is a couple of cutaways, and heard stories of course.

You've been in the sport for 11 jumps and your girlfriend has seen a couple of cutaways???

Wow...that would be 'cause for concern, for me anyway.

I've got 160 some jumps and have only seen 2 cutaways (not including my accident reserve handle pull on jump #6 two out incident). Granted we are a little 182 dz, but that seems like a lot to me.