OmriMon

Hair Style?

Ok, Omri I KNOW you are bored now. But I will humor you! I have been growing my hair out since I started jumping, so I can braid it. It sucks right now since it is at an in-between length. Long enough for a clip or a ponytail but you can't wear those under a helmet. During the spring and summer it was short (chin-length) and straight,all one length. Complicated fancy hairdos don't work well in jumping that is for sure.
For the girls: I have noticed several women wearing swim caps or similar things under their helmets. I actually had to ask a guy about this and he said it keeps their hair from getting messy. Any of you do this? I thought it looked like a good idea but too hot for my taste (I am very hot natured)...
Guess we could all just wear dreadlocks...(ewwwww yuck)
Blue Ones,
Sis

I've seen many of the guys at my dz with shaved heads...and they look really good that way. Some others have *really* long hair (one has it down to his butt even!). The ones with long hair just pull it back with a hair band and shove it under their helmet.
I've seen what Sis is referring to, too, though...many girls just put a cap or bandana around their head and then put their helmet on. I think it helps keep everything "contained". I have shoulder length curly hair, and I just pull it back into a ponytail at the base of my neck. That works for me! ('course when I first started jumping I would show up with my hair up in a casual twist. how naive is that!! it looked good for about, oh, 2 nanoseconds. hahaha)
Blue Skies,
Toggles

Hey Sis. I have never tried a swim cap (actually that kind of scares me that I would look like a walking penis) lol But I live in like a hundred little braids all weekend long. If I don't....guaranteed I will have split ends half way up my head! Does anyone else have that problem with their poor hair splitting....any suggestions??? :-)

I just have my hair in a military type cut, short on top/whitewalls, but then again I'm in the Corps of Cadets @ Texas A&M.
Girls, you should try it, no hair probs while skydiving, even when I jump w/o a helmet. :D
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

BLow drying your hair a lot will cause it to split, so if you do you may want to cut down also you mentioned your hair being in braids. IF you use rubber bands to hold them make sure they are the type specificaly for hair. The regular rubbers bands will cause your hair to break off at the point of the band.!!! hope this helps
jason

The little caps are perfect for holding hair in place when putting on a full face helmet. Also keeps your hair from tangling quite as bad.
I've gone from long to short and back to long a few times since I started jumping. Short is definitely easier!!
;-)
lisa

I've pretty much given up on my looks at the dz. I start out okay, but that lasts for oh, all of five minutes in the summer especially. I *did* however go get a new 'do' that is rather simple and cute while not cutting anything off that I've been trying to grow out too. It's been a blessing already! I'm like Freaksis tho...can't wait til all the layers get out where it's long enough to stay in a braid. That'd be easiest.
(btw, no swim caps for me either Sis...too hot and, um, I think I'd probably look pretty goofy with it *G*)

I wear a swim cap.....when I'm competition swimming;-). I have really long hair. I put it in a tight bun on the bottom of my neck so it rests just under my helmet and it always stays and never is tangly when I take it out.
As for the GUYS....that's weird to me that most of you have short-haired guys at your DZs. Here in Florida, at the DZs I've jumped at: Deland, Daytona, and Sebastian, a LOT of guys have long hair, most below their shoulders even. I love longer hair on guys. They wear it in a pony tail usually.
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Poster: OmriMon
Subject: Re: Hair Style?
is that true that most skydivers have short hair or bald, i have pretty long and messy hair, in the future, when i can become a skydiver,
would i need to sheve my hair or atleast short it to be a "good" skydiver?

Above 3 years ago I cut my hair down to 1/8". I'll never go back to long again. I don't waste jump money on haircuts. I cut it myself. Takes about 5 minutes every other week. I never have to comb it and it is quick to wash. Very low maint.

Come on now.... If that were the case some of the fine looking women that I've seen at Suffolk, VA. who are great skydivers need to shave their heads??(Think Not!) I'm in the military so I don't even worry about long hair, but "NO" be yourself! If you do have long hair just tuck it in so it doesn't get tangled in your risers or what ever else...
Stay Real!!!
Mark

Yours is 7" oomri? Wow, mine is a lot shorter than that, I do still like scratching mine though and REALLY enjoy washing it in the shower. I do hope I don't lose it with age, but luckily I understand that there is help for that as well. I also really like it when a date plays with it and runs her hands over it...
;)
/s

7" spikes!!! Now that WOULD be difficult to fit in the helmet. :D I am not that old, but I remember back in the punk days where they used to put a sugar and water solution on their hair and iron it with a clothes iron to make it stand up. I will never tell if I took part in this ritual or not.....
tee

I also really like it when a date plays with it and runs her hands over it...

MMMMMM:P. Yes, I LOVE doing that w/ my boyfriends hair. He's growing it out a bit b/c he loves it when I do that too and he knows I love longer haired guys even though I tell him he's hot no matter what :)MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

When I first started jumping my hair was in the middle of my back. By the time I finished AFF I had already gotten it cut so short that only 1" was sticking out of my helmet! Since then I've let it grow and cut it again and now I'm letting it grow again. All you can do it braid it (even some of the guys I know do that) and use good conditioner. The longer it is, the longer it will take to brush, but don't cut your hair unless you want to. :-)

i wore a frap hat on my last skydve, back in november. IT kept the hair nice and untangled, but going into our first spin you could see my scrunchi fly off cause i didnt have the ends of my hair tucked under. The video shows it all, and it shows me after i took the frap hat off. My bangs were standng up on an angle. SO, the frap hat keeps ya untangled, but it sure in hell dont make for a pretty hairstyle afterwards. :)
froggie,