Lolie

Stupid people who pretend they skydive...

>Actually.. he's right, the lower air molecules make it harder to do fine manouvers.

An excellent (if inaccurate) excuse! Similar to the one used in the now-famous "student surfing" tandem landing at the Ranch. "It's the rarefied air molecules . . . "

Now my question: why would you actually attempt to BS something like skydiving to a person who skydives? How could you expect to sound like you halfway know what you're talking about? Either this guy was an idiot for actually jumping and being that uninformed, or an idiot for trying to look cool while not knowing anything at all, or an idiot for doing that many drugs...

I have to ask a slightly different question - and am interested in the replies.

There's a "Skydiver" near the Chicago area who "qualified" for the new USPA freefly award, as well as a jumpmaster rating and a slew of RW awards in 2002. Problem is - the "skydiver" does NOT jump. This person has been seen at DZ's, owns a rig, but as far as can be determined is not active (used to be).

How could that happen you ask?

Well - I am still waiting for USPA to 'fess up on that. Yes, the local Conference Director did get involved and did the right thing. But - did you see any revocation notices in a certain magazine? Nooooo.....

This individual made a series of threats regarding this to several jumpers after this information about the awards and lack of qualifications became more public. Sadly, it took a concerted behind-the-scenes effort to get the organization to act - secretly.

Further - the awards were issued after signatures were forged, etc. It's a long sad sordid tale.

I have to ask - what should we, the skydivers, do in this situation? I heard the term "Jumpers Justice" a lot - you know, the next time this person is at a DZ they have all sorts of, well, problems. Is that the right way? I don't know.

I do know that in the years I have been jumping this one is new to me.

So - any thoughts out there?

(Disclaimer - I tried to be as vague as possible - I was threatened personally with a lawsuit and physical attack about this)

They never gave us a good cut so thats why the exit blew apart... no... really ;)

And sueing over awards??? I think someone has their priorities wrong if a silly piece of paper is worth suing someone over

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

(Disclaimer - I tried to be as vague as possible - I was threatened personally with a lawsuit and physical attack about this)

As long as your statements are true, no matter how damaging they may be to the other party, you are safe as far as any liable or slander lawsuit is concerned.

As to physical threats . . . if there is a witness, we call that a verbal assault.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hmmm. It's not just non-jumpers pretending to be jumpers.

I was having a beer with a bunch of skydivers, and one of them proceeded to tell me he had bunch of climbing experience.

Specifically, he told me that he had done "a bunch of 5.9's and a couple 6.0's and 6.1's"

Anyone else a climber? I just kind of nodded, chuckled to myself, and made random sounds of assent.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Specifically, he told me that he had done "a bunch of 5.9's and a couple 6.0's and 6.1's"

Not having any experience with climbing myself, what is he referring to with "5.9" and "6.0" that does/doesn't apply to climbing?

Are there measures of difficulty in climbing? [:/]
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

their are differeccnes between climbing 5.9 5.11c and the like, and not everyone is Dan Osmon, granted, but then their are off shoots, like bouldering where they use a different scale. where i think they have a six but i won't commit to that,

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

To clarify:

The grade after 5.9 is 5.10, then 5.11, 5.12, etc.

There is no such thing as 6.anything. A grade of 6 implies a climb which simply cannot be done.

Climbs which are 6th class free climbs are generally graded as 'A' or 'C' climbs, with grades from A0-A5, or C0-C5.

There are several other climbing grading systems used throughout the world--but none of them rates anything as 6.1. Climbs could be graded M6 (mixed ice and rock), WI6 (water ice), V6 (bouldering), or a variety of other 6's--but certainly not 6.1.

So, this skydiver was basically saying something akin to "yeah, I took my AJ73, and made a 900 hook from 250 feet..."

It takes all kinds, I guess.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have only done indoor climbing, and only ever managed a HVS 5b, which overlaps just as an easy E1.
In the UK we grade the technical part as a,b,c where as the climb is graded from D (difficult) to E10 (a little tricky) :P
Until there is a global standard there will always be problems interpreting gradings and/or the level of bullshit.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

I have seen this problem happen at the dz. A guy found out that tandems were $160, but regular tickets were $17. He then wanted to rent gear. No log book. "What do you usually jump?" "The usual." "Where did you last jump?" "It was a while ago in uhhh...another state." "We can call them." "They went out of business." "Well...it's a rule that we need to see your log book, so stop by another day."

Politely handled, but what an idiot.

Holy crap! That takes some balls there if he were to actually go through with it... *thinking* I wonder if there could have been some way just to screw with him, "sure here you go you're on load 2 you have a 10 minute call" first of all he'd probably think "who the hell is calling me here?? no one knows i'm here! how does she know it will take 10 minutes to talk to them??? humm this is crazy!" then he gets on the plane.. makes a jump has a cypress save busts his ass on landing.. probably have a nice wet spot on his jumpsuit. hehe :)

Okay, I know I dug this one up. I was bored and reading through old threads. I just had to throw this in: how would he know how to turn on a cypress? ;) So the guy would bounce, unless he somehow had the presence of mind to pull the silver thingy :D.

The guy did have balls though, he is a moron....but still to try and pull that one off :S.

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

Phonies like this are in other areas too. "Stolen Valor" comes to mind, and there are fraternal organizations of particular service veterans (like the Navy SEALs) who bust phonies that try to pass themselves off as the "real deal".

I don't think skydivers have anything like that degree of a problem, though. Most likely, the phony who is trying to play skygod is just trying to get laid or something. And it doesn't reflect badly on us if somebody does behave that way, whereas the image of the SEALS is diminished by phonies.

Just my humble opinion.

I have run into the stolen glory thing plenty. As a Marine, I have run into so many phony's that have to be bigger better. Like recon or seals. The ones that I have run into are usually ready to fight anyone for anyting. little psyco if you ask me. there is something in there personality that they feel in significant, so they have to show up everyone even if it means faking it.

I always say, I'll be back in a minute and just take off and avoid them.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

> why would you actually attempt to BS something like skydiving to a person who skydives?
(One of the) Murphy's law about love:
There is no limit at the quantity of bullshit that can come out of the mouth of a man when he tries to take a woman to bed B|
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

I have taken a hiatus from skydiving, and it's been about a year, since I've stopped. I still fly in the tunnel when I can, but it's been less and less, lately. Still, the regular tunnel addicts and experienced 4-way flyers know who I am, since I've flown or had coaching from with many of them.

Anyway, I had a Locks of Love fundraiser at Skydive Elsinore last weekend, and I noticed something very odd. At first, I thought that it was my imagination, but then, I realized that the newer male jumpers were trying to impress me when talking of their skydiving capabilities. I guess that since they hadn't seen me around the DZ, they wanted to show off in front of the new girl.

Each one individually stressed to me how much better their skills were than other jumpers, and they kept trying to explain skydiving to me. I tried to be complimentary to them, but at times, I honestly didn't know what to say to them. It was very odd, especially since I have often been around medal-winning skydivers who don't feel the need to verbally brag about their skydiving skills. :S

Dear Rosa, please read the post above yours...

It resumes quite clearly how men can think...

Hopefully we are not all like that. You know I never tried to impress you with my skydiving skills, just my Spanish language skills:P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM