shropshire

The best car chase in film history is ....

Gah, not a real film buff among you - it's Bullitt!

But it was the best. The raw '60s filming style and the streets of San Fransisco (with real traffic on them) - unbeatable combination.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Vanishing Point, because of the unpredictable ending.

The Hitcher.

The original Gone in 60 Seconds.

And, of course, the ultimate stakes if you got caught would not be arrest but death, so you'd have to vote for Duel. That movie taught me to show respect to big rig drivers. :)

Don

"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

But it was the best. The raw '60s filming style and the streets of San Fransisco (with real traffic on them) - unbeatable combination.

I stand corrected:$

It's the best because the cars were evenly matched.

Found It... The best 10:36 you will ever spend

Ronin

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I stand corrected:$

It's the best because the cars were evenly matched.

Found It... The best 10:36 you will ever spend

Ronin

Evenly matched!?!?!? LOL!!!!! The prop master jacked up that Mustang, changed rear gears, stiffened the suspension, better shocks, added bigger sway bars, tires & wheels, then added headers, intake, carb, & cam to the engine. During the initial runs chasing the BONE STOCK Chargers the Mustang couldn't keep up, so they swapped SMALLER tires on the Chargers in an attempt to slow them down. It didn't work. During filming, the 2nd unit director was yelling at the Charger driver to SLOW DOWN because it kept walking away from that poor Ford!

BTW, despite the popular urban legend, the guy on the motorcycle that lays it down in the dirt wasn't someone that ran the road block.

I think one of the reasons Bullitt turned out so well, in spite of the fact that they showed the same scenes multiple times from different angles & the Charger lost something like 14 hub caps, was the fact that most of the chase was filmed at real speed (though they did under-crank the film in a few parts). Another was the tight "point of view" cameras inside the cars. Watching it at the drive-in, in the early 70's, wrenching on my steering wheel during the chase, convinced my girl friend at the time I was crazy! :)

Yea, Blues Brothers is another favorite. What a quotable movie that was!

"It's 107 miles to Chicago. We have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark & we're wearing sun glasses."

"Hit it!!"

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Bullet is classic, even if the Charger wasn't supposed to wreck but did and they left it in the script.

The original Gone in 60 Seconds is up there as well.

Those are the two that all modern movie car chases are compared against.

Of course there are some notable scenes. Like the car chase in Live and Let Die where they spiral jumped a car and kept driving. That is notable. So is the bridge jump in Smokey and The Bandit (although that car didn't keep driving).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi Shrop,
Yeah' sure, maybe you didn't see Gene Hackman in the "French Connection????" The "Blues Brothers" is up there too, like great "Slap Stick Comedy" when the car falls apart at the end of the run!! Like just one or two cars doing flips and rolls is cool, "BUT," "The Chase Scene" in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World" has to be taken into consideration. Everybody trying to get to the "Big W." Cars, Trucks and Planes!! Johnathan Winters in the Wrecker, Sid Caesar, Janet Leigh and Ben Blue in the 1916 Curtis JN-4 Jenny and Miclkey Rooney, Buddy Hacket and Jim Backus in the Beech 18 totally out of control!! I don't remember if it was Frank Tallman or Paul Mantz at the controls when he flew thru the "Coca-Cola" Billboard!!! Chills, Thrills, Spills, Fun, Fun, Fun Boys and Girls!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

the Charger lost something like 14 hub caps..

Wondered if anyone would mention that! B|

It was 7 BTW...but most people don't see it.

The best part is at the beginning when the Charger 'loses' him....and suddenly out of nowhere... Bullitt in the rear-view mirror...IT'S ON! B|B|

Truly the GOLD STANDARD!

On a side note: Steve use to keep a hangar at the Santa Paula airport north of LA, and was there just hanging out most weekends...if ya could talk race cars, motorcycles, airplanes or guns...you were welcome!

The epitome of COOL!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

And, of course, the ultimate stakes if you got caught would not be arrest but death, so you'd have to vote for Duel. That movie taught me to show respect to big rig drivers. :)

Don

Haha Duel was great, a buddy of mine sent it to me after he heard that my daily driver was a plymouth valiant. They did pretty good showing how slow it was!B|