Squeak

Hiking Boots

So there are a few people here who hike regularly.
The prices for boots is considerably more expensive in OZ, so i am looking at getting a pair from the USofA.
I have narrowed it down (in my price range) to
Merrell
Zamberlan
Asolo

anyone familiar with these boots, or recommend a mid priced hiking boot that they are impressed with.

I know that buying boot online is a bit of a gamble. but it's a chance i am prepared to take.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

are you jumping with them too? if so i would go for Han Wag super fly boots...i use them in base and hiking, superb ancle protection and a lightweighted boot

No i wont be jumping in them, my jumping shows are purple and Yellow NIKEsB|

These boots are for hiking and travelling around the world
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak,

I do not recommend buying boots with out first trying them out and having them fitted properly.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Myself and my wife both had a pair of Asolo boots. They were pretty nice but mine did not really seem to last like I would have expected for the price that I paid. Hers still look brand new (5 years later) but she barely ever goes hiking.

I would not get a pair without checking the fit, they are all different.

Right now I have a pair of Footprints (Birkenstock) brand boots that I have been wearing a lot for the past 4 years and they have been great. Not that I have been hiking a lot, but when I am not outside I've been wearing them to work (On my feet moving around for 8-10 hours a day) and I'll maybe need a resole in another 6 months or so.

Most expensive shoes (boots) I've ever had, but they have lasted longer than anything else. I'd pay a little more for something that I know would last.

I would not get a pair without checking the fit, they are all different.

Yep. I once bought a pair of hiking boots that wound up pinching my feet on the instep, and it got worse as they were broken in. I brought 'em back to the store, got a different style, but the SAME SIZE AND THE SAME MANUFACTURER, but they were great. I cannot understand people who would buy shoes over the internet without being able to try them on.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Boots are like mains. You'll be happiest if you can try on and walk around in a few pair before you make up your mind. Every foot is shaped differently, some brands will fit your feet better than others do.

That said, I loved my Lowas but I had to replace them for this summer's hiking. Spent about an hour at REI trying on a variety of brands recently and ended up with a pair of Merrell's. I'm happy with them beyond the fit; goretex waterproofing, they're pretty light and at just over US$100 they were reasonably priced too.

Squeak,

I do not recommend buying boots with out first trying them out and having them fitted properly.

What Renee said ;)

You also might find that the ones you seem to like do not give you the support they need.

Some of the lightweight hiking boots seem to break down too soon.

I've had good luck with Asolo. More recently I've had some joint problems and switched to mountain running shoes instead. Less weight on my feet really helped.

Realize with any full leather boot that they're going to take a couple weeks to break in, so don't plan any major trips immediately (blisters).

I've had two pairs of Merrells (hiking shoes, not boots), and I love them. And I have a couple other pairs of Merrell shoes that are not for hiking, which are also very comfortable. The first pair I bought in a store where I could try them on, but the rest I bought online, and they have all been true to size.

I love my Vasque's for camping, hiking, xc hang gliding. But I am amazed at the mileage I get out of my lowly HiTec boots! ($30 on sale at Big 5)

that's why i need new boots, I am about to wear out my 3rd pair of HiTec, Transcenders, I wear them EVERYDAY all day and have trekked all over Asia, a bit of USofA.
But they no longer make them in this style anymore>:(
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak,

It is bad enough that the different mfgrs can't agree on standard sizes, but even the same mfgr can't decide. A few years ago, I wore out a pair of Nike Pegasus running shoes. They were two years old. I went to the local sporting goods store and tried on a pair of new Pegagus. Too small. WTF? Must be improperly marked. Tried another pair. Too small. Went up half a size. Still too small. I left the store with a new pair of Pegasus a full size larger than the ones I was replacing.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Have you considered trail shoes instead? It's quite a fallacy that boots are automatically required for camping and hiking. I've had the same pair of boots for 15 years now and only use them in the snow. I go through a pair of shoes every two years.

Here's a good article on the subject: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/footwear.html

If you're worried about brush scraping or bug/snake bite then you should be wearing gaiters anyway.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I love my Han Wags (Not the Super fly, I went for the GTX). They are the bestist boots that I have ever owned - bar none.

Agreed! I use mine at work sometimes too...
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

So i am in the local "outdoor store" (REI equivalent) trying on different shoes to get the sizing correct so i can buy them from OS, i try on some Rachille, Merrill, Columbia, Keen, some ok some not so good but nothing really fitting WELL.

As i am trying on a pair, i look to the left and in the corner are a pair of Columbia mids, i ask to try them on and the guy says that's the only pair we have left, he gets them and they just happen to be my size B| (8.5, dainty feet:ph34r:). I try them on and walk around a bit, upstairs, downstairs, stomping my feet etc.., they fit pretty good, a little stiff but nothing out of the ordinary for new boots.

So how much are they, i ask, (the ticketed price is $190.00, which is ok) he comes back and say they are superseded stock so that are 40% off. So i got them for $105.00 B|
Happy Squeak:ph34r::ph34r:

My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The most important thing is that they fit and feel good on your feet. No feet are alike, and what I hate might be perfect for you. My Merells didn't fit properly and made my heels hurt, but my cheap norwegian army boots fit like a dream, are water proof, and I can go everywhere in them.

And break them in on the way to the shop and on other short trips. Notthing's worse than trying to climb the Ben Nevis in brand new boots.

;)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?