yamtx73

What can we do about gas prices?

This train of thought was started by a chain email I received from my sister-in-law so I thought I'd take a look at where things are and what really could be done about it....
First a little background...
Quoted from MSNBC (dated 1/30/2008):

Exxon Mobil Corp. posted record profits for any U.S. company on Monday — $10.71 billion for the fourth quarter and $36.13 billion for the year — as the world’s biggest publicly traded oil company benefited from high oil and natural-gas prices and solid demand for refined products.

And from the New York Times (dated 5/1/2008):
Exxon Mobil, the world’s largest publicly traded oil company, said Thursday that its first-quarter net income rose 17 percent, boosted by surging oil prices.

But even as it posted the second-most profitable quarter in its history, Exxon’s earnings managed to disappoint investors because of a drop in oil production. Shares closed down $3.37, to $89.70, on a day the Dow industrial average rose 189.87 points. The company missed earnings estimates by a dime a share.***

Now, what can we do about it? Not a hell of a lot really.... We've all heard the "don't buy gas on this day" scheme, and of course it doesn't work because they'll still get their money the following day. The oil companies laugh at such attempts to 'teach them a lesson'.
If we really want to send a message we need a better way to do so. They don't listen to people, they listen to numbers... primarily the numbers showing how many billion they'll make this quarter.
My suggestion is to stop buying gas/diesel/oil from Exxon/Mobile. Not for a day, or a week, but for months.... Their quarterly profits will fall thru the floor and they only way they can turn things around is to lower their prices. If one of the major oil companies HAS to lower their prices to make sales the others will have to follow suit or lose customers.

Let's try to keep this OUT of Speakers Corner....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Does Exxon only sell through their "brand name" stations?
If I buy from my local Quicky Mart how do I know it's not Exxon fuel?

You don't. It PROBABLY IS. And if we all stop buying directly from Exxon, eventually Mr. Quicky Mart will start running out of his own gas and IT WILL CERTAINLY BE.

.....Or if I may save my typing fingers and let someone else put it more plainly......agggaaainnn: http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

The way to lower gas prices it to reduce the regulations on the oil companies with regards to refinery construction. More refineries get built gas price goes down.

For now drive less.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I sold my bigass truck. I have a take home car (company car, so I atleast don't have to personally pay for gas in that car), a motorcycle and my wife has a 2007 VW Rabbit. I have a '73 VW SuperBeetle, but I'm estimating that the car will probably get around 10mpg (horsepower comes at a price, although I could build a motor to get around 40mpg).

That's what we're doing for gas prices. Beyond that we're not doing many things proactive in the might be, not might be, is and isn't global warming. Although we've already started thinking about green systems for the house we want to build in a couple of years (solar, cistern, etc). Because we're tree hugging hippies? Not so much, its a way to save money in the long run.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Buy ExxonMobil stock. Ticker: XOM

Look at my reply in this thread, outlining the reality of Exxon.

Half of what they make goes into buying oil to refine.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Walk.

Don't drive to the grocery store which is only half a mile away (HALF A MILE!!!! I can't walk that! AND CARRY GROCERIES!)

Keep things local. Even if it means spending $5 dollars more to buy locally instead of driving all around town and using half a tank of gas to find the "best deal"

Drive the speed limit (I honestly shudder at that... cuz it just hurts so much!!!)

We honestly just have to suck it up, put on a big boy/girl panties and do the right things by quit being wasteful.

Walk.

Don't drive to the grocery store which is only half a mile away (HALF A MILE!!!! I can't walk that! AND CARRY GROCERIES!)

That's helped me a bunch personally. Truck has been in the shop multiple times (and is again right now :S) and if a fat chick like me can walk 2 1/2 miles into town and 2 1/2 out and feel good doing it, anyone can. :ph34r:

-and people that can ride a bike can do even better on time and carrying groceries! I have lost that ability. :$:$
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Drive the speed limit (I honestly shudder at that... cuz it just hurts so much!!!)

Funny... Just yesterday, while on the expressway I forced myself to drive 55 -people were passing me, of course, but I was surprised that it wasn't as many as 1 would think. Anyway, the entire time I was just telling myself I was being a good, law-abiding citizen (for once! :ph34r::))
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Walk.

That's helped me a bunch personally. Truck has been in the shop multiple times (and is again right now :S) and if a fat chick like me can walk 2 1/2 miles into town and 2 1/2 out and feel good doing it, anyone can. :ph34r:

-and people that can ride a bike can do even better on time and carrying groceries! I have lost that ability. :$:$
:| I beg to differ... Jaye, why would you say that about yourself? :|

I've been in the Oil industry for over 3 decsdes. My question is this: Where in the hell were you people when we were broke, losing our homes and jobless. Whay is it the only time anyone in the sec whines and cries about the price of oil only when it climbs signifiigantly?

We have not built any new refineries in the lower 48 in over 4 decades. That's just plain iignorant. SUPPLY & DEMAND is what it boils down to. Bush has also wtopped refueling our SOR's.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Walk.

Cause I did! I totally forgot how to ride a bike! It's the funniest thing! :D:D:D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Walk.

Cause I did! I totally forgot how to ride a bike! It's the funniest thing! :D:D:D
... but...but - once you learn to ride a bike I thought you never forget? [:/]

:P:P

:D

I've incorporated the same solution to the rising fuel costs. Drive less, walk more. Everything I need is within walking distance. The fun challenge has been determining the difference between needs and wants. It's getting easier.:)

There's nothing within walking distance where I am. We live in the boonies.

But I did switch employers recently and one of the reasons was I wanted a much shorter commute! (saves me time and LOTS of money...I was spending over 300 bucks a month on gas before, ugh)

What you do it get some investors together and raise about 250 billion dollars - enough to give a decent market capitalization. Then run the company as a nonprofit. Well, there's a problem. You'll have a hard time finding investors who won't make money.

Then start your business up by building some different refineries. You'll need more than one because of the different grades of oil you'll process. Offer your refined products to the marketplace at cost.

The American people will thank you.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I drive a 2004 Mustang with a V-6, gets 24mpg... and I haven't put gas in it since it hit $3/gallon.... I walk or take public transportation if possible....

Right now we have a chance to make a difference... we CAN force the gas prices lower but it's going to take all of us, and our friends, and their friends working together to do it...

Don't think it'll work? What happened 235 years ago when the our forefathers resented a major company (the East Indies Tea Company) that employed lobbyists and had a lot of influence in the British Parliament?
Do what you want, protest and stop buying from Exxon/Mobile... or be a sheep... I'm done discussing it....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

there is NOTHING to do about the price. There is PLENTY to do to help the average person's situation.

Even if the oil companies gave back their billions in profit, we use 136 billion gallons of gas each year (2004), so the 34 billion profit would only lower the price by $0.25/gal whoopity-doo

Write your Congresspersons, Senators at state and federal levels. demand more and better public transit (Here is Florida, it is fucking pathetic and despite the voters DEMANDING it years ago in the election, nothing was ever done about it)

Demand that laws be passed about fuel efficiency for the automakers. Ford, GM and Chrysler are still cranking out 300+HP machines - get fucking real. And they wonder why they are going out of business - good riddance!

Demand government tax credits/benefits to help pay for solar, geothermal, and other energy efficient updates to be implemented by individual homeowners.

Update building codes for energy efficiency. Even here in Florida, 99% of the new homes built are still built with little insulation and single pane glass windows. People living in mobile homes sitting in the sun pay $300/month for electricity. $500 in window upgrades and another $700 in insulation would cut that in half.

How about this:

USE LESS ENERGY!

What a concept. Tired of listening to people bitch about the price of gas. It is never going to change - we knew that 30 years ago, and now it is finally happening - sorry the USA was not ready for it. The rest of the world is managing with cars that get better mileage and carry less. They are managing with more public transit, they are managing with alternative energy and most definitely they are USING LESS ENERGY than the USA- and yes it is expensive for them too, but they are managing fine.

We use 25% of the world's energy and have only 5% of the world's population.

Oh, and jump prices are going up again. Do you want to jump and have fun? Or put $100 gas each week into your SUV? Your choice....

TK
(Driving a Toyota Corolla since 1991, just spent $1400 on new windows for my house and $1000 on more insulation in my attic. My electric bill is only $150/month with a pool, hot tub, A/C and the house set at 76 degrees in the summer. Solar hot water for $2500 going in soon, will take another $40/month off my electric bill)

My suggestion- lets get jobs at Exxon- and hopefully they have profit sharing!;)

Even better would be to buy Oil company stock... there's no actual work required and you're making money...

you just need to be sure to sell before they run out... :D:ph34r::P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...