pwln

Shiney New Motorcycle

Dave,

Off topic here, but need some info. I put a Fender Eliminator on my bike yesterday. Where the hell does the TX registration decal go! Dang, I can't find out the Texas laws regarding this..... Can I just stick it on one of the forks, the windshield? There really isn't much room where the liscense plate is now...

Thanks,
Buck

Sweet bike! Ride safe. It takes awhile to build up your skill level, and confidence. In a car you can just turn the wheel and swerve to avoid an accident, but on a bike, your instinct is to stand it up and slam on the brakes, which can kill ya. Just remember, stay aware, and stay calm when its time to react. I feel allot better about skydivers learning to ride because they usually can keep it together in panic situations. Here is an exercise you can do while riding twisty roads: Try to look as far into the turn as you can, like WAY down there. Plot out where you are going in your head, and go there. Don't look down or at something closeby, this is what throws you off and can make you wreck. Bikes are maneuverable, but take much longer to react to situations, you gotta be 3 steps ahead of the game. Also, since your bike is brand new, make sure you are breaking the engine in by lots of accelerating and decelerating (nothing drastic though), not just sitting at one rpm for a long time. This will help your rings seat in.
BE SAFE! Have fun

Go buy the service manual!!!! It will be the best $70 you ever spent. I'm not totally sure about your engine, but if you have jam nut and screw type adjusters, it will be very simple to adjust the valves. Its possible you will have shim over or shim under bucket, which will require you to remove the camshafts to change them, but its not too hard. Yamaha does a good job of explaining stuff in their manuals. If you do pull the cams, make sure when you are done adjusting and have them back in it, that you are positive that the timing is right (take picture of the timing marks on the gears after you get the crank in the right spot) Oh, and be sure to get a piece of wire to hold up the timing chain so it doesn't drop into the motor, it can be a pain to get it back out.

I figured I would post an update to my thread since I had so many replies when I created it.

I have taken and passed a MSF Basic Rider Course, I now have an "M" on my license even if it says Restrictions = MC Novice, that will go away in a year. I took a Riders Edge course at my local Harley Dealer.

I have almost 1000 miles on my bike now. :)
I was reading some other threads and it appears that all of the same concerns were voiced in those other threads.

Maybe now that my canopy is relined, my houses plumbing is fixed, and I have a weekend off I'll actually get to do some jumping.

you need you eyes checked...it looks NOTHING like my sled.
those disposable rice rockets that all look the same would be another story entirely.
:D:D:D

got that same stupid faring tank motor, bags shiney shiney shite:ph34r: yup Normiss clone:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Now go do a MSF course

Why? He's already got the Honda Shadow :D In my course, 90% of the bikes were Shadows and the other 10% were a mix of low-end Ninjas and other bikes that were all at least 15 years old. We beat the crap out of them, and they still ran.

Good course, though. Highly recommend it.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

When I did my course they used the buell blast (492cc) that were pretty beat up. The one I was on only had 400 miles, I think most of them were laying down. It was a pretty well balanced bike but when they don't have any weight to them that's not had to do.

The inspection sticker is supposed to be visible at the rear of the bike. That's all that the law really says, so you're left with what the officer believes the law says and what the JP or municipal court that is in his/her jurisdiction believes (which is more important).

I have mine on a sticker plate "below" my LP on the left of the swing arm with a drop down plate. However, the law does not specify that a drop down plate be used.

There's no major case law (e.g. DWI case law) about this either, so you're sort of on your own to use your better judgment in what Texas law "means."

Obviously I'm not a lawyer so I'm giving you a "lay person's" idea of what the law is supposed to mean by what is exactly said or not said. Consult a lawyer who specializes in traffic law for an explanation.

§ 548.051. VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT SUBJECT TO

INSPECTION. (a) A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole

trailer, or mobile home, registered in this state, must have the

following items inspected at an inspection station or by an

inspector:

(1) tires;

(2) wheel assembly;

(3) safety guards or flaps, if required by Section

547.606;

(4) brake system, including power brake unit;

(5) steering system, including power steering;

(6) lighting equipment;

(7) horns and warning devices;

(8) mirrors;

(9) windshield wipers;

(10) sunscreening devices, unless the vehicle is

exempt from sunscreen device restrictions under Section 547.613;

(11) front seat belts in vehicles on which seat belt

anchorages were part of the manufacturer's original equipment;

(12) tax decal, if required by Section 548.104(d)(1);

(13) exhaust system;

(14) exhaust emission system;

(15) fuel tank cap, using pressurized testing

equipment approved by department rule; and

(16) emissions control equipment as designated by

department rule.

(b) A moped is subject to inspection in the same manner as a

motorcycle, except that the only items of equipment required to be

inspected are the brakes, headlamps, rear lamps, and reflectors,

which must comply with the standards prescribed by Sections 547.408

and 547.801.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended

by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1189, § 29, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

§ 548.255. ATTACHMENT OR PRODUCTION OF INSPECTION

CERTIFICATE. (a) An inspection certificate shall be attached to

or produced for a vehicle in the manner required by department rule.

(b) The department shall:

(1) require that a certificate for a motorcycle be

attached to the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate; and

(2) adopt rules with respect to display of an

inspection certificate for a moped.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My 3 Babies.. besides my rig, lol

Daytona 675, full triumph race internals and other bolt on goodies, 153bhp

04 RSV Factory, with 1100cc bib bore kit and custom pipes, 160n~m of Torque @ the rear (this thing chews up chains and sprockets)

and my KTM... that bike has hospitalised a few people...

any one in oz... bikes are for sale
*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*