DustyP

Wedding Food???

I got 2 big slabs of beef. I marinated them for 2 days then cooked them and sliced them up and had rolls so folks could make a little sandwich. I had fruit mixed together in a bowl and had whipped cream ther for those who wanted it. I had a Cesar salad, and there was champagne and the orange juice/sprite with sherbert punch. I had a pretty small wedding. I even made my own cake parts and my mother put them together. It was New Years Day at noon. (couldnt find a preacher for midnight)-Caress:)

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

what did you have?? any suggestions to save on cash?

I was a DJ for 23 years - seen about every trick...

Buffet is less expensive if you only have a few items. Chicken is cheaper for table service, but if you only have a few guests, you can go with beef. Remember most places add gratuity to the bill - good service or bad, 18% might be there.

Get a separate menu for kids (if you even allow them at the wedding).

Apps are the most expensive per guest thing you can get - but you need them if you are going to take a long time with pictures (more than 30 minutes before arriving and eating). I've seen a couple where they ha an early wedding and a later reception - most people hit something while waiting and you don't have to spend a fortune on the apps.

Open bar only before dinner and then go to cash - cuts down on the guzzlers.

Don't skimp on the DJ - it will make or break the reception. A good one is more of a coordinator as well as the DJ - I've got a guide somewhere, PM me if you're interested.

All that being said, we had my best man DJ (he was my equal in the DJ world), apps, sit down and open bar - BUT, I knew everyone and had worked with them for years...deals all around if you're in the biz.:P

Good luck!
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

we have The Shed (bbq) cater our reception. we held it in the quansit hut on the dz (free). our parents gave us a little shit for having a reception in a tent and food served in large foil tubs, but they stopped complaining once they started eating. we had the ceremony in a chapel and told our parents that the wedding was for them and the reception was for our friends.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Wait until you're at the reception..

Apologise profusely and explain to all your guests that they will have to get their own meal since the useless incompetent twats who were supposed to cater your wedding double-booked and will not be coming!!!:D

Not only will people oblige, but you will get lots of sympathy (and probably a free meal) from appalled guests!!:ph34r:

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Wait until you're at the reception..

Apologise profusely and explain to all your guests that they will have to get their own meal since the useless incompetent twats who were supposed to cater your wedding double-booked and will not be coming!!!:D

Not only will people oblige, but you will get lots of sympathy (and probably a free meal) from appalled guests!!:ph34r:

Been watching "Fandango" again, eh?:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Huh?? I'm gonna have to google that.. What is it??
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

220 jumps and you haven't seen "Fandango"???:S

What the hell are they teaching you kids in AFF class these days???[:/]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fandango_(1985_film)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

what did you have?? any suggestions to save on cash?

Invite good friends to your reception and don't serve food. Have a cash bar. Explain to them that you don't have extra funds to wine and dine them. If they're true friends they'll be okay with the idea.

This isn't about you having to feed people. It's about friends celebrating your wedding. Shit... if anything they should be pitching in to give you a feast.
Owned by Remi #?

Edit: just realised 90% of this post was unrelated to the topic, so have just kept the related bits :)
But back to the wedding question.. I've been to a couple of weddings now where no actual meal was served - just a series of finger-food platters circulated for a couple of hours. I don't know if this worked out as more economical.. I'm pretty sure everyone ate a whole lot less food, and enjoyed the experience more.

Might be worth looking into?

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I've been to several weddings that were pot lucks. These were some of my favorites.

We had an afternoon garden wedding, followed by cake and refreshments. That night we had a party with the skydivers, keg and all. Pretty inexpensive wedding. We celebrate our 25th anniversary this June.B|

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been watching "Fandango" again, eh?

220 jumps and you haven't seen "Fandango"???

What the hell are they teaching you kids in AFF class these days???

http://en.wikipedia.org/...Fandango_(1985_film)

They may be watchin Wally Gubbins instead....wasent he a brit?

...but still no excuse for not seein Fandango ! No excuse!