guppie01

If you were a 16 year old young man...

would you enjoy this road trip:

Yosemite - 2 days (hiking / camping)
San Francisco - 2 days (wharf, alcatraz, golden gate bridge, etc)
Redwoods - 2 days (hiking / camping, maybe kayaking)
San Jose - Winchester House
Monterey - Aquarium (big maybe - depends on time)
San Simeon - Hearste Castle

edited for LOTS of spelling errors - ;)

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Don't know about the camping, but the other stuff would be fun. Most of the 16yr olds i know are too into video games, texting, and other technology to enjoy camping. [:/] I loved the winchester house, it's amazing!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

San Simion - Hearste Castle

If he's into art, architecture, US history and/or gardening he'll love it.

While you're there, I highly recommend going to the other side of Highway 1 from the castle entrance. Visit Sebastian's General Store (built in the late 1800's and still operating), check out the warehouses that Hearst had built there, walk on the pier, hang on the beach and if you're really wantin' to give him an edumacation, ask a local how to get to Pirate's Cove.

There's also some excellent beach walking on the north end of Cambria (but you know that, you've stayed there ;)), and camping is available at the state park campground north of Cambria.

Oh, and it's San Simeon. Minor point I know, but people spelling it wrong usedta piss me off when I lived there.:D

would you enjoy this road trip:

Yosemite - 2 days (hiking / camping)
San Francisco - 2 days (wharf, alcatraz, golden gate bridge, etc)
Redwoods - 2 days (hiking / camping, maybe kyaking)
San Jose - Winchester House
Monterey - Aqarium (big maybe - depends on time)
San Simion - Hearste Castle

g

I didn't have the patience for sight seeing until my late twenties and fifth trip to Europe unless you count the inside of taverns and Amsterdam while under the influence.

Now I'd only go acompanied by my wife, who I find sexy and interesting regardless of where we are. Our idea of sight seeing is getting a plane ticket and one night hotel reservation. We walk in increasingly large concentric circles eating anything that looks tasty, look at the interesitng sights we pass, and proceed onward to the next location when we get bored.

That usually works well. We found a small fishing village on Gran Canaria where they'd yet to build hotels for tourists (just rooms at the yacht club) with the tastiest little sun fish served with the local mishapen potatoes + garlic aioli and abandoned beaches to walk on in the moon light. We did run into one town closed for the season, but got directed to an apartmento we could rent for one night and the one remaining restraunt and a little more advanced planning would have let us time things so we could take the direct flght to Marrakech.

Travel for sports was always OK though. Snowboarding, cycling, skydiving, BASE jumping.

Come to think of it, while I like to spend a little time perusing works of the Dutch masters or Antoni Gaudi's buildingings for me it's still mostly about what I can snowboard down, jump off, or eat with an ocasional show thrown in for good measure. As a mature adult I haven't become much more appreciative of culture in large doses, I've just added eating to my list of reasons to travel, having better memories of the best flan ever in Las Palmes and squid in their ink from Madrid than the couple of museums and famous buildings we visited.

You might talk to the kid and see what he actually likes. I know that as a 16 year old I could eat a large Pizza Hut pizza or 10 pack of Taco bell Tacos and lament wasting that capacity on such mediocre comestibles. Maybe the 16 year old would be more into food tourism too.

In San Francisco, I'd recomend the Swan Oyster Depot (like your neighborhood butcher but for sea food and with a counter where you can inhale all the tasty raw food you can handle) and Zuni Cafe.

LOL thanks Lisa!

He's pretty open minded. I'm more worried about the camping / hiking part of the trip with him. :ph34r:

g

"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
OMG, is she okay?

Hey Drew,

We promised him a road trip this summer - he will be 16 so it's an opp. for him to get some driving hours in, and also because he will be moving to Kazakhstan in the fall for 2 years.

Originally we were going to head to Yellowstone, but we wont have the vacation time. So we are now taking a week to explore CA. We've talked to him about Yosemite and the Redwoods - he was pretty excited. I just double checked with him about Alcatraz - he wants the night tour. When I asked him about the Winchester House / Hearste Castle his reply was - whichever one has a better scary story. :ph34r:

I've seen and done everything I listed with the exception of the Redwoods, but the boys haven't experienced any of it.

I'm trying to keep the schedule open so if there is something he'd rather do/see we can deviate a lil, but making reservations for a few of the places are a must.

g

OMG, is she okay?

That would be a dream vacation for my son. He'll be 18 in two weeks, but can I send him along too? :ph34r:

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That would be a dream vacation for my son. He'll be 18 in two weeks, but can I send him along too? :ph34r:

Sure! B|

g
OMG, is she okay?

Driving over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and looking back at SF is great, and you might continue up the coast a bit to Point Reyes, its a great park! Or hike up Tamalpais for a view of everything.

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Most of the 16yr olds i know are too into video games, texting, and other technology to enjoy camping.

When I was 16 I would go on survival hikes/camps and was in a frontiersman reenactment organization.

Camping kicks ass, it did back then and it does now.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When I was 16 I would go on survival hikes/camps and was in a frontiersman reenactment organization.

Camping kicks ass, it did back then and it does now.

Well of course you like it...you're one of them cool kinda kids. B|:)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

If you can the evening tour of alacraz is better( I have been there a couple of times an the audio tour they have now is great). We were kind of taken off guard by how cold and windy San Francisco can get.

Just a quick heads up be carefull of where you stay in the San Jose area because the hotel we stayed at was in a really bad neaborhood (the kind where afer showering you still feel like you need a shower) Also at the wincester house they have a behind the scenes tour that I thought was more interesting than the regular tour.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

When I was 16 I took off on "independent summer vacation", which my parents called "running away from home". Spent the summer hitchiking around the New England states and stayed at a bunch of different hippie communes waaaay out in the woods. Lived in a barn with a dozen people and some goats, in a five story treehouse straight out of a fairy tale (with a pot garden on the roof), and in an abandoned delivery truck.

Most valuable lesson learned - what REAL hunger is like. I've never forgotten.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

If you can the evening tour of alacraz is better

That was his choice - so I am rearranging the plans to make it happen.

Just a quick heads up be carefull of where you stay in the San Jos

Lucky for me I have family in Hollister I'll be staying with. ;)

Last night he decided he wanted to do the aquarium instead of Hearste Castle.

So, looks like we have a pretty good trip planned for us.

I'm pretty excited. B|

g
OMG, is she okay?

LOL thanks Lisa!

He's pretty open minded. I'm more worried about the camping / hiking part of the trip with him. :ph34r:

g

Bring some weed. He'll get into it. Oh, your kid? Tell him to bring the weed. He probably gets better shit than you.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher