shah269

Well it was good fun but the sky gods have asked me to go

Every one,
I just want to start off by saying thank you to every one for every bit of information you have offered me and welcoming me with open arms into the community.
But this past Sunday around 14:00 I had a hard landing and broke my tib and fib in my right leg.
It was a great AFP, I cleared the plane confident and happy, found my center and floated like a feather, turned 360 left, docked, undocked 360 right docked and was just tickled pink about how great it felt to fly and be one with the universe.
I pulled at 5.5kft and had a perfect deployment, thank you so much Alaksa, but at from then it kind of went to crap. I wasn't comfertable and was feeling a lot of turbulance on the way down. I hit some good ones at about 300ft but keept it cool and all was ok. But I noticed I was comming in very hot and at about 20 ft I cought a down draft and the sky gods put me down hard. I felt a snap and I knew my wife was going to kill me.
Long story short I broke the bit and fib and now I have a rod in my leg.

I feel like crap and these pain killers really suck! But I'm I've gotten multiple readings of the xrays and it looks as if I'll be ok. I hope to at least be driving in 4 weeks and maybe walking in 6.

Will I ever jump again? I don't know. My wife says she would support me if I decided to jump again but I don't know if I could put her in this position again.

Well again thank you so much every one and thank you for all of your help, and enjoy the flight.
You are doing what people dream of.
Shah
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

speaking from experience, in this sport its not a matter of if your gona get hurt, but when...i have had three surgeries from injuries sustained in the sport, will i ever stop? prolly not unless i get hurt so bad that i am physically unable to jump. But each one to his own, heal fast and good luck with your decision
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

We have all had bad things happen to us in the sport. Maybe not that bad, for which I am sorry and hope you heal fast my man, but dont give up. i remember doing a down winder when i was learning (always learning) and being dragged across rocks/grass/etc. Lots of blood and pain. Did not not jump for 6 months. Biggest regret of my life. Now i jump all the time and new once I got back up that I will do this until it kills me (or anything else). It happens and it's a sacrifice you'll have to make dude. Heal well, think about it, meditate and get back up there. The gods in the great chapel of the sky will appreciate the commitment. Later man. Aloha!!

If you had broken your leg while riding your motorcycle, would you quit riding too?

Just wondering. I hope you heal quickly.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you had broken your leg while riding your motorcycle, would you quit riding too?

Just wondering. I hope you heal quickly.

No.....riding is kind of in the blood. Flying......that was and is in the heart. Maybe i'll jump again next summer if its ok with my wife.

But I'll be doing a lot of hops and pops till i'm comfy landing again.

thank you again for all of your help and wow these drugs sucks! I feel like shit!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

If you broke your leg having sex, would you quit that too?:P

People in this thread will say the sky will always be there. Don't believe them.

Work out with the rest of your body that still works. Don't put on weight. Feel lucky to be able to fly.

A GPZ is as close as you can get to a ZX. Keep riding and when your healthy, make your decision about jumping. see you then!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

But I'll be doing a lot of hops and pops till i'm comfy landing again.

I don't get that. The only difference between a hop and pop and a regular skydive is how long you spend in freefall. The landing is just the same.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Heal quick dude! shit man I know what it is to get hurt in this sport:)

You wife!!! I didn't think ya was hitched the way you talked.

And you got a rod so early in your jump career...man it took me 1336 jumps to do that..ya beat me dude!!B|

Well be cool and keep us updated about your condition!!

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

speaking from experience, in this sport its not a matter of if your gona get hurt, but when...i have had three surgeries from injuries sustained in the sport, will i ever stop? prolly not unless i get hurt so bad that i am physically unable to jump.

Define "hurt"? Do you mean broken bones or something requiring surgery to fix?

Man that sucks! I wish they would emphasize a PLF more in ground school. That is the one good thing that my ground school instructor taught me, "A PLF will not only keep you from being hurt, it will save your life!" [:/]

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Ok,what kind of painkillers?

just have to ask:S:P

Bry

Oxycodon?
They freaking suck! I feel like shit!
And the "rod" hurts way more than the broken bone.
A good family friend is a retired Orthopedic Dr. and he indicated that it would take me longer to recover from the rod than the broke bone.
Shucks!
Will I every fly again? If I can drive in 4 weeks and walk in 6 then hell yeah! If it's one of those 4 month things....i'll have to think about it.

Not bad drug....:)
What they keep me on for my back pain all the time.
Now the rod.Is it an internally placed rod or do you have a external fixation?

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Bry

its a keeper!
an internal titanium rod + 2 pins
and man this pain killer sucks!
makes me feel drunk in a bad way and gives me hot flashes!
Why would any one ever get addicted to this!

[:/] Bummer... I took care of a friend of mine with a broken tib/fib for a month... poor fella couldn't even walk the first week (even with his crutches)! Glad to hear you're good, and you have your wife to help take care of you.

Live, learn, and keep on truckin!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Bry

its a keeper!
an internal titanium rod + 2 pins
and man this pain killer sucks!
makes me feel drunk in a bad way and gives me hot flashes!
Why would any one ever get addicted to this!

Wait till you start itching and can't go to sleep!

[:/] Bummer... I took care of a friend of mine with a broken tib/fib for a month... poor fella couldn't even walk the first week (even with his crutches)! Glad to hear you're good, and you have your wife to help take care of you.

Live, learn, and keep on truckin!

g

see that is what i am worried about.
I can get around on crutches but I'm busy as hell at work and have very little down time.
So I'll have no choice but to work hard to get better ASAP. My boss and good friend depends on me to be the hammer in the office.

I just don't want to be a burden on any one. It's a pride thing.