shah269

Well it was good fun but the sky gods have asked me to go

Will I every fly again? If I can drive in 4 weeks and walk in 6 then hell yeah! If it's one of those 4 month things....i'll have to think about it.

Mine is one of those "four month things" and I'm not thinking about it at all. Can't wait to hit the air, and bawl at the site of pretty puffies and my friends flocking. Lotsa metal, lotsa broken bones, lotsa pain...can't wait to fly.:P

It is an awesome sensation when you are out on injury and then come back to the air. I know I have a huge appreciation for the fact that I can still jump.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I could be wrong but I thought rods were only for bones that got real fucked up in which case they had to be hollowed out to put a rod in them.

I have two 9inch rods holding my lower back together...I sure HOPE they didn't hollow out my SPINE! ;):ph34r:

Well spine I assumed they didn't. I should have been more specific. For round bones I thought they did. I have a friend who busted his femur and he said they had to hollow out the bone to put the rod in (I think. Again I could be wrong).

Ah I think it's something like a 13in titanium rod...finally I can stop measuring from the crack of my ass.....this was a guy joke.
Yeah one fluted titanium rod + 2 pins (one on top and one on the bottom). I'm told the rod will be mine to keep. The pins on the otherhand are up to me and the doctor. Depending on the level of risk I take and how my body works out. So they may be keepers as well.
As for the larger bone, I think the Tibia broke into three large chunky bits and the fluted titanium rod was shoved in to keep them inline. The pins at the top and bottom are put in place to keep everything inplace. I'm told the Fibia will automaticly come back inline....kind of cool!
As for a cast? No stinking cast! It's an overdone ace bandage thing with an L bracket.
I was suppose to call the local doctor to set up PT.....but I don't remember much of it...but per the instructions that were given on paper I've been moving my toes and moving my foot around.
I just hope it heals fast!
Oh and the first poo.....ladies I'm very sorry about this but pleas don't ever have kids! Addopt! It's not worth it!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Ah I think it's something like a 13in titanium rod...finally I can stop measuring from the crack of my ass.....this was a guy joke.
Yeah one fluted titanium rod + 2 pins (one on top and one on the bottom). I'm told the rod will be mine to keep. The pins on the otherhand are up to me and the doctor. Depending on the level of risk I take and how my body works out. So they may be keepers as well.
As for the larger bone, I think the Tibia broke into three large chunky bits and the fluted titanium rod was shoved in to keep them inline. The pins at the top and bottom are put in place to keep everything inplace. I'm told the Fibia will automaticly come back inline....kind of cool!
As for a cast? No stinking cast! It's an overdone ace bandage thing with an L bracket.

Shah

Sorry about your owee. Hoped you heal fast.:)
Can you post a x-ray of your metal:P
One Jump Wonder

I didn't have a cast either. The "L bracket" is simply called a splint. That's what I was in the entire time until going into the walking cast. Going to PT now probably wont make much of a difference. Once you get into the boot though it makes all the difference. The week you go from the splint to the boot call the physical therapist. The sooner the physical therapist starts massaging it and moving it around the better your chance of gaining full range of motion.

While I'm thinking about it. Try to score yourself one of these. They are nice because they are large enough to wrap completely around the leg even for us big guys with meaty calfs. They also get much colder (which is important) than the crappy ones you get at the drug store. Lucky for me I have a medical supply store 20 mins from my house so I was able to get it the same day the PT told me to. You may want to order one ahead of time in preparation for when the splint finally comes off. They help a bunch.

Oh and the first poo.....ladies I'm very sorry about this but pleas don't ever have kids! Addopt! It's not worth it!

I don't understand the connection between having a baby and pooing. Please explain that one to me. You know they come out different holes, right? ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

But I'll be doing a lot of hops and pops till i'm comfy landing again.

I don't get that. The only difference between a hop and pop and a regular skydive is how long you spend in freefall. The landing is just the same.

True to a point, but hop'n'pops are jumps devoted entirely to canopy flight. Especially for students, not having the "distraction" of freefall tasks keeps the focus on the canopy part.

Shah - Don't make any serious decisions quite yet. Let the hurt fade, and the newness wear off a bit before you decide if you want to continue.
The sky will always be there. Whether or not you will have the ability or desire to go up again is a different issue. Follow the doc's advice, watch your weight, stay focused on your recovery.

While I disagree with you personally on some things, I'm sorry to hear you got hurt.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I don't understand the connection between having a baby and pooing. Please explain that one to me. You know they come out different holes, right? ;)

Between the epidual (sp?) and the passing of what could be called a 5lb brick....moms don't get enough respect!

As for the splint, I was told I could start plaing a bit of weight on my legs which actually feels kind of good.
Because when I go from laying down to standing up the buildup of pressure is nuts!
My short term goal is simple, get better enough so as to drive my self to and from work and not take any pain medications.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Shah, really sorry to hear you broke yourself so early in your jumping career.

Take care to let yourself heal properly, and remember there's no need to make any decision about going back to the sport, or not, until you have.