Ketia0

Have you ever lost your breath in a skydive?

?

It happened to me today, and i cant explain it. It was my 6th jump of the day. 3 hop and pops, and this was my 3rd jump at alititude. Anywho. When I jumped out at 14,000 I lost my breath. I focused the whole skydive on trying to breath. I couldnt get oxygen from my mouth or my nose. Once I was down to about 5,000 feet, I dumped, and was able to breath again... :o

On the bright side, I landed EXACTLY on target!! :ph34r:

Has this ever happened to yall? I have a headache now. I think thats all the jumps im going to do for the day. Ganna go home and take a break..
[:/]
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Nope.

Were you tired or stressed?? Anxious?

Maybe think about how you were feeling before the dive - might help you identify *why* this happened..
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Yep, a few times. First time was when I forgot my goggles and was jumping with just sunglasses, probably all mental. The other times were when I was doing AFF video in the 182. I was exiting Golden Knight and when the students would climb out the airflow changed. Once we exited it was okay.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

?

It happened to me today, and i cant explain it. It was my 6th jump of the day. 3 hop and pops, and this was my 3rd jump at alititude. Anywho. When I jumped out at 14,000 I lost my breath. I focused the whole skydive on trying to breath. I couldnt get oxygen from my mouth or my nose. Once I was down to about 5,000 feet, I dumped, and was able to breath again... :o

On the bright side, I landed EXACTLY on target!! :ph34r:

Has this ever happened to yall? I have a headache now. I think thats all the jumps im going to do for the day. Ganna go home and take a break..
[:/]

Yup, twice now. The first time was Beezy Shaws dive when I took Lee out as video. The second was last weekend. I discovered for me it was the cold air that just took the air right out of me. After about 10 seconds into the first time, I put my hand over the opening in my full face helmet and it allowed me to draw slower, and what I think was "warmer" air. The second time was the same helmet but without the visor so my big nose was probably exposed a bit, quickly I covered it for about a second, breathed, and from there on it was normal. At your jump level anxiety may play a factor, but I think the temperature can have an affect as well.
Try covering your nose and mouth and breathe in once, (staying stable) for just a second or less and see if it helps.
My trouble occurred right out the door at 13,500 in early fall or late winter.

And skybitch makes a great point too, I was probably at least one of those. ;)

Yep. On my 5th skydive, way back when I was still a student. First jump I had video on as well.

Turns out I was smiling with my mouth open (for the camera). Air rushed in faster than I could breathe. Next skydive I kept my mouth shut and the problem was solved. :$

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Yes. Recently during the AFF Instructor rating course. I am not sure if I breathed during the practice and evaluation jumps. When I landed I was so out of breath I felt like I had just run a marathon - completley gasping for air...
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

First time was when I forgot my goggles and was jumping with just sunglasses, probably all mental.

That might be it, mixed with anxiety.. This was the first time i jumped from altitude with just sunglasses. I usually wear sealed off goggles... I hope thats all it was. [:/]

But it could have been a number of things.. I dont think i was stressed. but hey. who knows.. Ill be jumping tomorrow afternoon to see if it happens again..
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

At the '85 World Meet in Mali Lojine, Yugoslavia. I was part of the Air Bears entourage/contingent and we were the first ones to arrive at the site. When the MI-8 helicopters got there the pilots needed some practice/training in flying skydivers so they took us up. The team took a piece off the tailgate and the rest of us, 4 or 5, followed. I went last with Mike Raible because we wanted to run the length of the aircraft and off the tailgate. As I approached the edge, I was getting a veiw of the Adriatic Sea and the coast of Lojine. It was absolutely spectacular. The water was almost as clear as Silver Springs and I could see maybe 50 to 75 feet down through the water. The beach was not at all like Florida beaches with all the sand but very rocky, big rocky, so there was something to see on the bottom. The view "took my breath away". I realized I wasn't breathing and hit myself in the chest and got back to the business of the skydive. It's one of those jumps that I'll always remember for something unrelated to the actual skydive.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Once. Anxiety. I had just arrived and was jumping by myself at Eloy about two years ago. A ff organizer came over and asked if I wanted to be on their sunset tracking dive. During the dirt dive I looked around at the people on the dive and realized I was way out of my league. I was so intimidated that about half way through the dive I realized I was holding my breath.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

If you kiss a woman in freefall who takes your breath away on the ground, will you need CPR by her in freefall?

These are the things i worry about lately.[:/]B|

I still havent done a kiss pass...

But that was my favorite jump! Is it still a "pass" if you hold it for some length of time?
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

Nope, Kim.

I don't drink. However, that smile of yours absolutely is the most devastating thing I've seen in a long time. My little heart slams around in my wimpy little chest and I can't breath. Ahhhhh....such is life.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

Yes. I remember one time in particular when I did a belly jump after a couple hundred freefly jumps in a row. I just couldn't get my breath with all that wind in my face! I wasn't used to it.

Sure I'm always on my belly for a little bit at deployment, but only a very little bit as I typically back track away and then flip over.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Nope, Kim.

I don't drink. However, that smile of yours absolutely is the most devastating thing I've seen in a long time. My little heart slams around in my wimpy little chest and I can't breath. Ahhhhh....such is life.

TripleF

Awww Trip - you know how to make a girl feel good! Thank you!
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I