RALFFERS

Good Book

What's a good book you all have read - I need suggestions. It's been a while since I've read something; my brain needs stimulation.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Well, the last few books I read were Black Like Me, Savage Inequalities...and I've been meaning to get through Children of the Matrix.

As far as what I like to read - anything really. I like going out of my comfort zone and learning something I knew no idea about; expanding intellectually in general.

Philosophy with a modern spin, or something about what makes [the hunan mind] us tick is cool too.

Or maybe I should start reading the SIM.
:P

Seriously - I've been meaning to order 1, and think I'll finally do it tomorrow.

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Most recent stuff I've read and enjoyed (I've been on a nonfiction kick lately). The first two would probably fit best into your "what makes us tick" interest:

Predictably Irrational (Dan Ariely)
Blink (Malcolm Gladwell)
One Drop (Bliss Broyard)
The World Without Us (Alan Weisman)
Plenty (Alisa Smith and JB MacKinnon)

Currently working on In Defense of Food (Michael Pollan). Can also recommend two others by him (Omnivore's Dilemma and The Botany of Desire).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sci-fi:
Dan Simmons:
Hyperion/the fall of Hyperion/Endymion/the [rise] of Endymion.
All nice and thick, each should last you a week.

Humour:
Jasper Fforde
The Big over Easy/the Fourth bear
Easy reading, no need to think while going through this book. Interestingly, the writer managed to take a really dumb and silly idea and turn it into good novels.

Fantasy:
George R.R. Martin:
"a song of Ice and Fire": A game of Throses/A clash of Kings/A Storm of Swords/ A Feast for Crows / A Dance with Dragons (and two more to come)
You have to read it. The interactions between the human characters are so complex and well described, you keep finding new stuff even on the third reread.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

angels and demons - dan brown
the princess bride - s. morganstern (seriously the book is great)
harry potter series - it is not beneath you - great easy reading
james patterson is pretty good, any of his are worthwhile
theres a random start - and seriously theyre all great
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

There is only ONE good book:)
:P

I remember as a kid watching an Western on TV, (might have been Bonanza or Gunsmoke); In the episode there was a family passing through with a hard-headed old woman minister preaching, saving, souls, and performing marriages, all the while proudly displaying her Bible. Then they encountered the local sheriff:

Sheriff (looking at the Bible she was holding): "Say, where did you get that book?"

Minister: "A good man in Texas gave it to me. He presented it to me and told me: 'Now you take care of this good book'."

Sheriff: "You don't read, do you?"

Minister (embarrassed): "Why...uh...no. Why do you ask me that?"

Sheriff: "Well, that is a good book, but it is a dictionary."

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This will sound strange but one of the most fascinating books I have read is-

“The Making of the Atomic Bomb” by Richard Rhodes

Rhodes starts with the Physics knowledge from the 1800’s and follows each step as this knowledge grew into atomic physics. He then flows this into the development of the Manhattan Project and its eventual outcome. Even if you are anti-nuclear weapons like most people, you will find this book to be an incredible combination of Science, Politics, People and History. He also won the Pultzer Prize for it.

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas. This is a really good book, but very long. Think "War and Peace".

I'm currently reading James Joyce's "Ulysses". "Finegan's Wake by the same author is also good.

Anything by William S. Faulkner
Anything by John Steinbeck. East of Eden is my favorite.
Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is good, as long as you don't get suckered by her crackpot idealism.

Anything by Kerouac or Kesey.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Three fiction authors I've really enjoyed over the last few months are the following:

Vince Flynn (read all of his novels, very entertaining)
Brad Thor (read all of his novels, very entertaining)
Lee Child (read half of his novels so far, and its entertaining)

I did just finish "License to Kill" which is a book about security contractors. It was a really good read. Same with "Lone Survivor" which is about a SEAL from Texas in Afghanistan. Both of those are non-fiction.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas. This is a really good book, but very long. Think "War and Peace".

I'm currently reading James Joyce's "Ulysses". "Finegan's Wake by the same author is also good.

Anything by Wendy Faulkner
Anything by John Steinbeck. East of Eden is my favorite.
Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is good, as long as you don't get suckered by her crackpot idealism.

Anything by Kerouac or Kesey.

Joyce's Dubliners is good - Just the stories of everyday people who, surprisingly, all live in Dublin.
Ulysses - couldn't get trough it. I put it down during the scene where the guys were planning to go to the beach and never looked back. The way the dialogue is written is just too annoying for me to enjoy the story. [:/]
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

If you like historical fiction, one of my favorites is The Alienist by Caleb Carr. About a serial killer in NYC during the late 1800s, at time when Theodore Roosevelt was police commissioner. Reading that book years ago also sparked my interest in Roosevelt and another of my favorite books is The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. An amazing biography taking you through the life of Roosevelt from birth through finding out he would become president. Much more like a novel than a dry bio.

Both have pretty good follow-up books as well.
Killing threads since 2004.

Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
A People's History of American Empire by Howard Zinn (text or graphic)
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

• Johnathon Livingstone Seagull - Richard BachB|
  • Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance - Pirzig (?)
  • Diary of a wimpy kid - Jeff Kinney:)
  • The Death Zone: Climbing Everest Through the Killer Storm - Matt Dickenson
  • Into Thin Air: Personal Account of the Everest Disaster - Jon Krakauer

(.)Y(.)
    Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome