Airman1270

I told a cop to mind his own business. What happens next?

I was delivering pizza to a townhome Sunday evening. While at the customer's door a neighbor came out and went toward the road. We finished transacting commerce and, as I turned to leave, the guy (a black guy - relevant?) returned, showed me a badge, and said I was blocking the driveway. (Yes, I WAS blocking his car, just a little, but he could have easily gotten out.) It quickly became ugly -

Cop: "Next time you park over there in the parking lot!"

Me: "No, I think I'll keep doing it this way. I'll be gone in a minute and besides, look - you can get out. Piece of cake."

Cop: "If you do it again I'll give you a ticket."

Me: "I don't think so." (Off-duty cops don't write tickets.)

Cop: "Oh yes I will."

Me: "Don't you think you're being a bit petty?"
(Climbing into van) "You need to mind your own damn business!"

Cop: Didn't catch what he was shouting as I drove away.

Funny, but frightening. Why did he need to drag a badge into the conversation? If he had just asked me not to block his car in the future I would have said "Sure, no problem." I detected sort of an uppity attitude, an eagerness for confrontation by a guy who is not used to being defied. Was this a quota hire? Don't police have to demonstrate some measure of emotional stability as part of the pre-employment screening process?

Not sure his race is relevant, but we're supposed to notice these things.

Out of respect for the company whose uniform I was wearing I kept my comments brief, but was tempted to remind him not to threaten me any further, as I know where he lives.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Here's the way it should have gone down;

You: "Uh, ok."

Exit stage right . . . (who gives a shit?)

'Roid-boy goes away. It probably doesn't matter for the rest of your life even if you repeat the sequence indefinitely.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Cops have bad days too. If you had made a threat including the fact you know where he lives, I would have no respect for your argument.

A funny story (not really): A friend of mine was driving while slightly intoxicated, in New Orleans a couple years back. Gets pulled over, cop mentions the smell of alcohol, yadda yadda. My buddy says "Don't you have anything better to do?" Cop just stares at him and then drives off. Somehow I don't think that would fly in most parts of the country hahaha

I was delivering pizza to a townhome Sunday evening. While at the customer's door a neighbor came out and went toward the road. We finished transacting commerce and, as I turned to leave, the guy (a black guy - relevant?) returned, showed me a badge, and said I was blocking the driveway. (Yes, I WAS blocking his car, just a little, but he could have easily gotten out.) It quickly became ugly -

Me: "No, I think I'll keep doing it this way. I'll be gone in a minute and besides, look - you can get out. Piece of cake."

Cop: "If you do it again I'll give you a ticket."

Me: "I don't think so." (Off-duty cops don't write tickets.)

Cop: "Oh yes I will."

Me: "Don't you think you're being a bit petty?"
(Climbing into van) "You need to mind your own damn business!"

Cop: Didn't catch what he was shouting as I drove away.

Funny, but frightening. Why did he need to drag a badge into the conversation? If he had just asked me not to block his car in the future I would have said "Sure, no problem." I detected sort of an uppity attitude, an eagerness for confrontation by a guy who is not used to being defied. Was this a quota hire? Don't police have to demonstrate some measure of emotional stability as part of the pre-employment screening process?

Not sure his race is relevant, but we're supposed to notice these things.

Out of respect for the company whose uniform I was wearing I kept my comments brief, but was tempted to remind him not to threaten me any further, as I know where he lives.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Watch out. You'll banned here for cop bashing. Trust me. Bannd for life from SC:P
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

>Out of respect for the company whose uniform I was wearing I kept my
>comments brief, but was tempted to remind him not to threaten me any
>further, as I know where he lives.

I think it's pretty sad that someone would threaten to hurt someone else (or their family) based on a parking dispute. People like that end up shooting each other on LA freeways.

We go out of our way these days to save weak links
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Since you mentioned it twice, obviously his race WAS relevant.

To you.

I fail to see how it had anything to do with the actual event, though, or the telling of it here in this forum.

Sounds like he was being a dick, and you let it get to you.
__

My mighty steed

What next?

Well, the next time you do that, he may well write you a ticket. Off duty cops have their stuff in their briefcase and can and will write tickets if you piss them off enough. Telling them what they will or won't (or can and can't) do tends to piss them off to the point where they will put in the time and effort.

You've managed to paint a target on yourself and all the other guys who drive for that place (or chain).

I drove pizzas a long time ago and we had a driver who did something similar. It didn't make him real popular among the others.

Right or wrong, he has the badge, the authority and the ability to make your life pretty miserable.

Do you normally go around throwing rocks at hornet's nests?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I doubt anything happens next. But why did you argue in the first place? Even if he wasn't a cop (and it's just stupid, in my opinion, to fight with cops), you said you WERE blocking his driveway. Even if it's just partially, why didn't you just say, "Oh, my mistake. Sorry about that."
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

I think both of you were more confrontational than you needed to be, but people are funny about driveways, parking spots and their cars. I don't think he should have whipped out the badge. That's a power trip to start with, and he's usually not used to being defied. And we all know there's a certain percentage of cops that are on a bit of a power trip. We've all met them. At the same time, I think he had you cold, and I would have given a bit of an apology and gone away, badge or not. But it is tough to do sometimes. I've been in a situation or two myself.:D

You've managed to paint a target on yourself and all the other guys who drive for that place (or chain).

This is true. Back in the early 90's I worked for a steak and potatoes delivery chain (deliver hot steaks, chickens, cheeseburgers, etc for lunch and dinner) as a driver.

I don't remember who or what happened to start the whole thing, but one night 4 of our drivers came back saying someone had thrown something at their vehicles, myself included. I got a big jolt but never saw what it was, but I saw the mark on the windshield, which looked like it was some kind of athletic ball.

Straying off topic: Another time while I was driving on the job, I was forced off the road by some young fuckhead nigga making a sudden swerve between my car and the one in front of him. Man I was soooo pissed, but, I had the uniform and the lighted sign on the roof, so all I could do was glare at him when I caught up and passed him when he slowed for a left turn. >:(

When I got my college degree, I swore that I'd never drive for a food delivery service business again. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

WTF does the N word have to do with anything???
[:/]

Nothing. Just black trailer trash. I see plenty of white trailer trash drivers out in my area these days. My opinion of them are just as bad.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Man I was soooo pissed, but, I had the uniform and the lighted sign on the roof, so all I could do was glare at him when I caught up

Another thing that will do wonders to make truck drivers behave is one of those signs on the back of the truck that says; "How's my driving? Call 1-800-123-4567". When you, as a truck driver, know that everyone else on the road can see that number, and has their cell phone within reach, you don't do stupid stuff.

I think every car ought to have one of those signs...

Nothing. Just black trailer trash. I see plenty of white trailer trash drivers out in my area these days. My opinion of them are just as bad.

Yeah? What name do you call them?

Wigga. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Yeah? What name do you call them?

YO Wigga.... why U B all up in his grill:ph34r::ph34r:

And to the OP

DUUUUUUUDE.. you just made it to the local PD "BOLO" list

WTF does the N word have to do with anything???[:/]

WTF does the word "fuckhead" have to do with anything???[:/]

Seriously? OK: When someone engages in road rage, they are acting like a fuckhead, but their race is usually irrelevant.

Race is very relevant a lot of the times! I can tell you grew up in an all whit area!;)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

WTF does the N word have to do with anything???[:/]

WTF does the word "fuckhead" have to do with anything???[:/]

Seriously? OK: When someone engages in road rage, they are acting like a fuckhead, but their race is usually irrelevant.

Race is very relevant a lot of the times! I can tell you grew up in an all whit area!;)

Wigga pleaz!:P
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama