skybytch

Whatcha readin'?

I got a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble for Xmas. It needs to be spent.

Tell me what you're reading right now and if you'd recommend that I buy it or not.

I'll read damn near anything so no worries about genre.

I'll start. I just finished "The five people you meet in heaven" by Mitch Albom; good book. Albom also wrote "Tuesdays with Morrie" which is a great book that I'd recommend to anyone.

I got a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble for Xmas. It needs to be spent.

Tell me what you're reading right now and if you'd recommend that I buy it or not.

I'll read damn near anything so no worries about genre.

I'll start. I just finished "The five people you meet in heaven" by Mitch Albom; good book. Albom also wrote "Tuesdays with Morrie" which is a great book that I'd recommend to anyone.

Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker, 6th Edition Extended.

(setting homework problems for my class)

You might enjoy it, I can't say. Good if you have insomnia.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

'Positively Fifth Street' by James McManus

It's a book about a murder, and the World Series of Poker. Basically this guy gets paid by Harpers Magazine to go to Vegas and write a story on this murder, he ends up using the money the magazine gave him to buy into the $10,000 poker tournament, where he does surprisingly well. True story, good book, doubt you'd like it though...unless you're a poker player.

Amazon's Listing

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Just finished 'Peace like a river' by Leif Enger (isbn 0-552-99935-0)

It follows the Land family, living in Dakota in the early 1960's. It's written from the perspective of the 11 year old son, witnessing life and his father's apparent ability to perform "miracles" and his relationship with God. Their peaceful existence is shattered after the boy's older brother kills two boys who are terrorising the family, and goes on the run in the Dakota Badlands, and the story follows their journey trying to find him, and the changing views of the main character through this.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, it was brilliantly written, and well worth a read if you are into that kind of thing.

Edit to add: Well, "that kind of thing" is a bit broad really.. my usual book genre is Science Fiction, I read this out of boredom and lack of anything else to read. So that might give you an idea of how good a read it is ;)

'buttplugs? where?' - geno

I like spy novels where the hero shoots the terrorists and gets the girl. If you like that stuff too you might like Vince Flynn. I would suggest reading his books in order though because some of them play off the older ones. Term Limits is his best, I loved that book.

I'm also reading the Thru-hiker's Handbook, but that is a guide to hiking the Appalachian Trail so it might not apply.

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

"Three Roads to Quantum Gravity" by Lee Smolin
Loved this book (don't call me dumb Kellend)

"A soldier of the Great War" by Mark Helprin
Probably one of the Novels I've enjoyed the most...ever.
"Weaveword" or "The Great and Secret Show" by Clive Barker
Stephen King wishes he was Clive Barker
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Just finished "On Killing.....The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society" by Lt Col Dave Grossman. Great Book!!! Especially for anyone that's either in or is close to someone in the Military or Law Enforcement.

I have a new one sitting here waiting for Wednesday when I go back to work.

"An Intimate History of Killing
Face-to-Face Killing in 20th Century Warfare." -Joanna Bourke

Definitely read "Jack the Ripper: Case Closed" by Patricia Cornwell.

Also read Harry Potter if you haven't yet. I promise they're not kids books. I've given five or six friends copies of the first one, and every one of them have gone out and bought the rest of the series.

Also on my recommneded reading list:

Anything by Mercedes Lackey
the "Irish" series by Andrew Greeley (make sure you start at book 1 or its confusing)

Don't bother with The Da Vinci Code. Blech.

Stephen King's newest release is out - great read. I am in the middle of re-reading all the books connected to the Gunslinger saga - Salem's Lot, Hearts In Atlantis, The Stand, The Regulators, Everything's Eventual, Skeleton Crew, and lots more....I am getting ready for his next release...September, I think.

Other than that, I haven't got much suggestion....I tend to avoid bookstores...I buy too much and enjoy them far too much. My dream is to have a house with enough room for several libraries - and have all my books out. B| Not sure that will happen, but that's the goal.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I have a new one sitting here waiting for Wednesday when I go back to work.

"An Intimate History of Killing
Face-to-Face Killing in 20th Century Warfare." -Joanna Bourke

Give "Intimate History of Killing" cause the first 1/3 of the book will probably piss you off. It did me and I'm liberal as hell (she draws conclsions about the homoerotic nature of combat that I disagree with) but if you get past that the rest is well worth it!

Next get "Unspeakable Acts, Ordinary People: The Dynamics of Torture" by John Conroy
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

I got "Five People" before Christmas on audio . . . it was excellent.

Right now I'm reading "Trojan Odyssey" by Clive Cussler. It's a series of novels with a recurring character that I have been reading since I was 14.

I just finished "Bleachers" by John Grisham which was just OK.

Over the holidays I read "Under The Banner Of Heaven" by Jon Krackauer - excellent.
Arrive Safely

John

I'm working on the non-fiction "The Closing of the Western Mind" by Charles Freeman. Basically it discusses the turning point in Western civilization and its alliances with the church. It's heavy reading.

as a side book, cause sometimes you just want to easy reading. I'm working on "The Bourne Identity" by Robert Ludlum

Just finished "Strip City: A Strippers Farewell Journey Across America":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786886757/qid=1078086624/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-2508253-9576718?v=glance&s=books

It's the true story of a former stripper, about to get married, who travels the country and strips at a variety of clubs in an attempt to reconcile her past and come to terms with her future. It was delightful.

And for anyone slightly morbid like me, you'll enjoy "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers." So good -- and chock full of interesting info.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0393324826/qid=1078086760/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-2508253-9576718

Lisa, I read "Tuesdays With Morrie" and it changed my life forever. I just started reading "The Five People You Meet In Heaven." Good stuff! There is a group of books by Halberstram and Leventhal. They are called: Small Miracles, Small Miracles II and Small Miracles of Love and Friendship. They are all great reads. They are true stories of extraordinary coincidences from everyday life. Enjoy!

One Hundred Years of Solitude is awesome. I'd have to vote for that one too. In fact I may have to read it again....thanks for the suggestion! :)

Lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I just finished reading "The Privilege of Youth" by Dave Pelzer. Highly recommended along with his other books, "A Child Called It", "The Lost Boy" and "A Man Named Dave". I highly recommend all of these books as this true story is astounding! I am currently reading "Without Pity" by Ann Rule. She always writes about true crime cases, excellent reading can be found in any of her books, if you like true stories.

I love to read and my collection is way too large!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

If you liked Neal Stephenson's previous work (Snow Crash, Diamond Age, Cryptonomicon, etc.), you might want to grab a copy of Quicksilver. It is a prequel to Cryptonomicon (the Waterhouses, Shaftoes, von Haeckelhebers, and a mysterious man who doesn't seem to grow older named Root are all there) set in the 18th century and written in the style of historical fiction (leaning way towards the fiction). It is also a very slow read, almost frustratingly so.