DJL

Best Work Boots - Need advice from people who work in boots.

My $20 rubber boots from Agway aren't cutting it, as in regardless of arch support my feet feel like shit. I'm a brewer and work on a concrete floor that tears the tread out of anything in a few months, need a steel toe, and my feet constantly get soaked with wet grain, beer, and sugar water. Anyone, know a good boot?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I have been wearing steal toed, water proof dr martins for years. I work on concrete and steel grating and i can usually make my boots last about a year. I just put new arch supports in them every 4-6 months. They're a little expensive but it beats having sore feet.

My $20 rubber boots from Agway aren't cutting it, as in regardless of arch support my feet feel like shit. I'm a brewer and work on a concrete floor that tears the tread out of anything in a few months, need a steel toe, and my feet constantly get soaked with wet grain, beer, and sugar water. Anyone, know a good boot?

I used to work at a meat packing plant back in the eighties. Also very wet conditions. I purchased a pair of the boots I wore a few years ago because the were comfortable and tough. I just looked on line and can’t find them.

How about getting a good pair of leather boots and wearing overboots like these.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/134545-11/Tingley-18-Contractors-Overboots?sku=134545-11&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=134545

I used to work at a meat packing plant back in the eighties. Also very wet conditions. I purchased a pair of the boots I wore a few years ago because the were comfortable and tough. I just looked on line and can’t find them.

How about getting a good pair of leather boots and wearing overboots like these.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/134545-11/Tingley-18-Contractors-Overboots?sku=134545-11&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=134545

Have you looked at something like this? http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/XTRATUF-Safety-Boots-9ERC9?Pid=search

I like my "Muck" boots. I got the higher style of chore boot $89. There is a lower/lighter chore boot available for $84. They are very warm for winter and mud season. Muck makes another style called Wetland which isn't as insulated and may be lighter.

Neither of these are steel toed but there may be a model if you search.

Some swear by "Bogs" too. I dunno.

jon

I work in a food production plant too. The last few pairs i've bought has been timberlands. They have a titanium toe in them. This makes them extremely light, as light as some pairs of sneakers i've got. Which helps big time with fatigue. They are made with a leather that is pretty soft so it doesn't have to be "worn in". These also have electrical protection. (required for me because i'm in skilled trades.) They have lasted me over a year, up to two, per pair. Also a good choice that I had one time was something made by georgia boot that has rubber up about two inches from the bottom of the sole, so it is nice if your in an area that has puddles and such where water would normally get in just over the sole seam.

I like the muck boots. That was my second choice, but again, it's the tread that wears out so quickly.

Maybe I should grab some Docs and retread them every so often.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

In the mines we use a rubber boot, the best I have found are the Viking steel toe and the Lacross Metapak AP.
underground they get run through the mill, sharp rock and all. they seem to hold up to oils well also.
the arches seem to be good except for a couple guys have High arches and use inserts.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Try Danner boots. Last forever, super tough, handmade in Portland, OR (good for economy obviously), and when their Vibram souls wear out you can send them back to get resoled. The boot is a bitch to break in, once it does they fit like a glove.

I have two pairs. The older pair I've had for about seven years now, resoled 4 times. I wear my boots from 6am-8 or 9pm everyday (stand for about 10 hours) They're too comfy! I wear skate shoes to skate in once in a while, my
feet hurt.

Pricey, but you get what you pay for. Good luck!

Danner.com

Been lurking for well over a month now, figured now is as good a time as any to post..

Matterhorn's were by far the best boot i have ever worn. they were issued to me while i was in bootcamp camp years ago. they made it through bootcamp, 2 serious hurricanes, fire fighting academy, police academy, 2 years underway (after everything else already listed), and an extra 1 1/2 years working at a power plant after i left the service...they are an amazing boot, but they are almost 300 a pair..

the timberland pros are very nice too...those were the replacement to the bootcamp boots. wore those for 2 years and never had an issue, other than being a little heavy..your looking at about 135 for a pair of those..

and i currently wear wolverine "carbon max" boots..they have a carbon toe, and are made of gortex, rather than leather..so far so good with them, but i dont expect for get more then a year or so out of them..they were also in the 140 range..

**note, all of them had a "steel" toe, a shank, and are electric and oil resistant**

First rule of thumb is if you are going to Walmart/Kmart/Target or any place like that to buy boots you should just save the trip and throw your money in the trash. Second, unless you are going to be filming a hippity hop/rap video don't bother with Timberlands, they stopped being usable as real work boots some years ago.

As a previous poster said before Redwing makes a great boot but they are quite pricey. Just remember when it comes to work boots you get what you pay for. Redwing also offers a moldable insert that is comfortable but I always just buy a good pair of Dr. Scholls every 6 months or so and put those in and it keeps my feet comfortable and my back and legs from aching after a day full of being on my feet. Redwings also last a long time. I work at steel mills across the country which is probably one of the toughest enviroments possible when it comes to wear and tear and my Redwings routinely last well over a year.

I also have boots from a company called Leheigh. They are not as expensive as Redwing, they last well and are pretty darn comfortable.

As for being in a constantly wet enviroment unless your boots are made out of rubber they will never stay dry if they are always wet. When you get your boots start by putting several applications of mink oil on them before wearing them to work in. The only real solution for that is to buy a pair of rubber over-boots to keep the water from your boots.

As I said before the #1 rule is you get what pay for and a bad pair of boots can make your day miserable.
It's time for my nightly ritual: Pleasure myself, weep, and repeat.

Matterhorn's were by far the best boot i have ever worn. they were issued to me while i was in bootcamp camp years ago. they made it through bootcamp, 2 serious hurricanes, fire fighting academy, police academy, 2 years underway (after everything else already listed), and an extra 1 1/2 years working at a power plant after i left the service...they are an amazing boot, but they are almost 300 a pair..

+1
Have had a pair of Matterhorns for about 6 years now. They soles have survived the flight deck nonskid and alot of time in the water. They're waterproof but that also means that any foot sweat will stay in the boot. I found that packing them with newspaper at night will dry them out very well. They get pretty warm in hot weather though. They are pricey.

Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

It's funny seeing the span of answers, it's like asking what the best ice cream flavor is. Personally I bought two pairs of red wings, dif models, and they were the most god awful uncomfortable pairs of boots I ever had. I gave them time to try to wear in but they just didn't. The one pair literally tore up the sides of my feet. As for the negative comments about timberlands...well if you buy boots at foot locker or a chain store, well then yes they are going to be some hip non working boot thats meant for fashion. Kinda like comparing the dickies clothes at the mall skater's store zoomies to those you would find in a uniform store. I've bought my timberlands at stores that sell working stuff and they bear no resemblance to those you'd find at a fashion outlet, besides a logo.

Redwings. Can't wear them out. They're heavy, though. Their waterproof system is good but not as good as Goretex. But they have great support. Also they'll measure your feet at the Redwing store so that the arch and toebox are correct--often that means your "Redwing size" will be different than the size you usually get.

Don't buy anything on the net. Fit is everything.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

+1
Have had a pair of Matterhorns for about 6 years now. They soles have survived the flight deck nonskid and alot of time in the water. They're waterproof but that also means that any foot sweat will stay in the boot. I found that packing them with newspaper at night will dry them out very well. They get pretty warm in hot weather though. They are pricey.

we used to stick a potato in them and stick them in the oven on the lowest setting..

my wife gave me a boot dryer for x-mas, i just stick them on there at night and in the morning i have very dry, very warm boots...i will never go without one again
[url]http://www.peetshoedryer.com/benefits.html

I would suggest going to a good, reputable store that handles high quality work boots. Take the time and try them on till you find one that is comfortable and meets your specifications. Be prepared to pay a bit more than you would probably care to. Then, put-in some Dr. scholls 'Gel-soles'. Don't scrimp on your feet! Bad shoes or boots can lead to foot, leg and back problems and also can make you miserable in general.

Chuck

+1

[url]http://www.peetshoedryer.com/benefits.html

+ 1 for sure. peet shoe dryer is the shit. I've been using them for 20 yrs
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

The best boots by far are Redwings. Pricey, but worth it especially if you require an in between size.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I work in a food production plant too. The last few pairs i've bought has been timberlands. They have a titanium toe in them. This makes them extremely light, as light as some pairs of sneakers i've got. Which helps big time with fatigue. They are made with a leather that is pretty soft so it doesn't have to be "worn in". These also have electrical protection. (required for me because i'm in skilled trades.) They have lasted me over a year, up to two, per pair. Also a good choice that I had one time was something made by georgia boot that has rubber up about two inches from the bottom of the sole, so it is nice if your in an area that has puddles and such where water would normally get in just over the sole seam.

Georgia boot only way to go. Comfortable from the gito . Fuck Redwing. Breaking em in is misery.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.