millertime24

DONT BUY A FUCKING COBALT!!!

When I learned to jump, they taught me to cutaway a streamer.
Sheesh!
And I thought the 700-1100 foot openings my my Diablo were slow!

I have certainly modified my low emergency exit procedures to know when to go directly to my reserve. I have also raised my hard deck for deployment to 3,500 feet, but typically deploy at 4,000 - 4,500 feet. I've gotten used to that streamer feeling and actually enjoy it. It's a smooth and seamless transition from horizontal to verticle body position.

Speaking of pinched, as in nerve, get yourself checked out by a doctor. As in now. Your spine just might be more injured than you realize (even if you don't feel it). As in, hairline vertebral fracture. And if it is, you need to know to act accordingly and do nothing that might exacerbate it. You won't know for sure until you get checked out. A C-spine is not something to f*** around with.

If any medical professionals disagree with this, by all means speak up.

Andy9o8 knows what he is talking about. Although my neck was broken and my left hand and arm didn't work, I stayed in a state of denial for a week before seeking medical attention. I even jumped two more times a week later and that night, there was a 2 in the morning trip to the ER. When I told this to my neurosurgeon, she told me that unlike a typical broken bone, it was common for people with severe neck injuries to not realize it. I know two other skydivers who had broken their necks jumping and didn't know it.

I have a Spectre 150 and had my fastest opening at Flock & Dock. However, everything happened in sequence so it wasn't my hardest opening ... although it was hard enough to make my chin cup come loose and make me wonder what happened.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Damn, well, start packing the slider up. :P

I must agree.
I saw no evidence the slider was ever up.:S
But damn!
A hard opening on a wingsuit dive???:o

You can actually have harder openings on a wingsuit skydive than a regular skydive due to the horizontal component. Add that the d-bag is coming off the back at a 150-180 degree angle vs a 90 in a regular skydive...it can make a whale of a diff if the wingsuiter does not slow the horizontal.

You can actually have harder openings on a wingsuit skydive than a regular skydive due to the horizontal component. Add that the d-bag is coming off the back at a 150-180 degree angle vs a 90 in a regular skydive...it can make a whale of a diff if the wingsuiter does not slow the horizontal.

I've always had a softer opening on wingsuit jumps.
But then I've always pitched head-up on deployment.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Damn, well, start packing the slider up. :P

I must agree.
I saw no evidence the slider was ever up.:S
But damn!
A hard opening on a wingsuit dive???:o

I got reminded of the importance of shutting down all the wings on my 2nd wingsuit jump this past week, my Sabre2 felt like it went from packed to fully open in half a second. Saw stars and my tail wing.

But then I've always pitched head-up on deployment.

Good on ya!
Head up, knees bent, arched....almost like you're going into an on-knees praying position facing the horizon/skyward.
Seen several really slammer openings from people improperly instructed on deployment. Had one student come complete with a minimum of 360 line twists on every jump. Their FFC had taught them to ball up "for a second before deploying."

And here's why.

My equipment:

-Cobalt 135 main
-Pheonixfly Shadow Wingsuit
- Well... the rest doesn't really matter

This is the second time this thing has smacked the ever-loving holy fuck out of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFwK07bcRBE

I had a cobalt 150 for a few years. I LOVED IT. SLOW openings on heading every time.
My photos

My Videos

Some of us have been saying this very thing for a long time. Sometimes people actually listen to the jumpers who came before them.;)

Amen brother Dave. Monkeylip used to jump one of these with his WS back in the day, watched him have one reserve ride only to have it repacked and have another. I think there are several threads on this from years back. Seemed to be hit and miss on how the openings faired from one person to the next. Solution seemed to always end with getting a different canopy or live with either hard or extremely long opening times.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Something I learned from a packer: while he is slaving away in the heat, packing your canopy for a mere $5, don't drink beer, call him your bitch, and flirt with his girlfriend.

What I learned from not being a whining bitch - do all the above, fuck his gf, and kick him whenever you feel like it to keep him in his place.

Not that Cobalts are that good for WS jumps (after my 2nd cutaway on it, I decided to tone the canopy down a bit :)

but - if you are keeping it, you should strongly consider getting an H-mod done to it. It will have the nose braces, kinda like the canopy pictured.

How do I get that done? More importantly, who does it and how much does it cost?
Muff #5048

Not that Cobalts are that good for WS jumps (after my 2nd cutaway on it, I decided to tone the canopy down a bit :)

but - if you are keeping it, you should strongly consider getting an H-mod done to it. It will have the nose braces, kinda like the canopy pictured.

How do I get that done? More importantly, who does it and how much does it cost?

Search is your friend---->CLICKY.

I haven't talked to Howard( H mod) in awhile but I have his number. Joe Bennet is also known to have done this mod to peoples canopies. Can't say I have heard of anyone having it done lately and I'm not sure if either are still doing it. It used to cost around $150.00 9-10 years ago and the results were a canopy that would snivel longer, dive better and some claim, swoop better.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I haven't talked to Howard( H mod) in awhile but I have his number. Joe Bennet is also known to have done this mod to peoples canopies. Can't say I have heard of anyone having it done lately and I'm not sure if either are still doing it. It used to cost around $150.00 9-10 years ago and the results were a canopy that would snivel longer, dive better and some claim, swoop better.

There are some local riggers out there in the wild that can do an H-mod, it isn't hard, it just takes time and has to be done right.

A friend of mine who used to jump (and was a mad-scientist-rigger), changed the lineset on his Stiletto and H-modded it. He ended up with something I would compare to a Katana style canopy in terms of opening and dive.

With the Cobalts, it really is if you get a good one, you have a good one. If you don't, then you're pretty much boned. Quality control was a big problem with Dan's civilian side of the shop, although he would get mad and yell as you if you said anything bad about his canopies. I had a 170 that I demoed for a bit. It opened like a freight train hitting a Yugo full of Anfo!

I talked to Dan personally and he recommended that I get a main pilot chute that was 24"-ish and that I double stow SMALL rubber bands. Uhhh, no, that's ok, a PC in tow followed by a bag lock would have been a much softer opening...until I chopped and dumped my reserve.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Masterrigger1 does them. I'm sending my canopy to him in the morning. The way I see it, Ill do the cheaper things first before buying a new canopy. If the H-Mod fixes the problem then Ill likely jump it for the next 300-500 jumps.

Anywho, Ill keep everyone updated on weather the mod works or not.
Muff #5048