ryoder

Nasty motorcycle crash video

Damn, you're just more vulnerable on 2 wheels than four. Wish he could have laid it down or gone around. [:/]

Hard to say if "counter steering" would have saved his bacon (did the motorcyclist even know about such a basic life saving maneuver that is taught in all motorcycle safety classes). Braking clearly did not save his bacon since he was locked up.

1) Motorcyclist was speeding.
2) SUV driver made an unsafe left turn.
3) SUV driver was a dumb ass for leaving the accident scene.
4) Was the SUV driver under the influence?

Sad that the motorcyclist and SUV both made decisions that destroyed both of their lives. But these sorts of bad decision happen all the time. Oh and the girl they interviewed should learn some first aid. First aid is much more productive than prayer.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It's a streetbike, of course he was speeding. /sarcasm

One of the reasons I got rid of my sport bikes is because I was constantly tired of being profiled and harassed.

This accident is a great example of another reason I got rid of them. Dumb drivers.

Speed didnt look to be an issue in this case. I would be very curious if he was wearing a helmet or any armor though. I would also be curious to see what his experience level was. Riding a bike is like flying a parachute, head on a swivel. In high traffic areas I typically let my rpms stay high so people could hear me and was always conscious of other cars "towing the line." His attention should have immediately be drawn to the SUV when he saw him pull up to the street. I'm not saying it was the bikes fault by any means, but you ALWAYS have to assume that person is going to pull in front of you.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

Man you have good eyes, I can't even see a speed limit sign.
Given that is a 4 or 6 lane road with a center turn lane, isn't it possible the speed limit is 45mph, maybe 50?

If he's speeding, I don't think it's by much.

Look at the other vehicles. They clearly are going a lot slower than the motorcycle. From the moment the motorcycle comes into view, the other traffic only covers about 30% maybe 40% of the distance the motorcycle covers before impact. We do not know know when the motorcyclist saw the SUV, the smoke from the tires locking up only appears in the last 20-30 yards but the motorcyclist could have been on the brakes sooner.

Please I am not placing 100% of the blame on the motorcyclist (I myself have many miles logged under two wheels). The SUV driver made an unsafe left hand turn and one has to ask why they left the scene of the accident (DUI?).

The ones going the opposite direction or the ones that slowed down because of the accident?
The bike is the only vehicle coming from the left.

How can they be slowing down because of the accident when the accident has not even happened yet. Plus watch the traffic speed from the interview from the next day.

Those vehicle may have just pulled onto that road and might not even be up to speed or might be slowing for a turn into an entrance, you cannot tell from the limited view.

Virtually every vehicle in the two videos segments are traveling the same speed (the same speed one would expect on a somewhat busy city street). I am not saying the motorcyclists is going 100 mph, but he clearly is going faster than everyone else based on the distance he traverses compared to all other vehicles. The white pickup truck going the opposite direction travels only about 30% of the same distance the motorcycle covered in the same amount of time.

Once again I am NOT placing 100% of the blame on the motorcyclist. The driver of the SUV made an unsafe left hand turn. If he had only waited (did he even look?), this accident would never have happened.

The vehicles in his direction of travel might have just gotten a green light, if so he might be the only vehicle doing the speed limit already and others are simply slowly accelerating.

Hard to say but looking down that road it appear there was a controlled intersection he was traveling away from

There are two different videos. The one of the accident, and the one they next day where they interview the girl who felt prayer was more effective than first aid. In both videos all other vehicle traffic is traveling at roughly the same speed based on how long they take to traverse from point A to point B. The motorcyclist, takes much less time to traverse this same distance.

How does that Grade 7 physics formula for speed work again?

Speed = Distance divided by Time.

Sad that the motorcyclist and SUV both made decisions that destroyed both of their lives

Not to pile on the biker, but the other thing to notice is how slowly the SUV pulled into traffic. It wasn't a quick 'whip out' into traffic, the SUV was easing into the road anticipating a space in the trafic moving opposite to the bike.

I agree it looked like the bike was travelling a notch faster than everyone else, and he did hit the brakes late. Earlier braking, or a possible swerve to the right to cross behind the SUV would have made a big difference. It really looks like the guy was speeding and almost just hauled straight into the SUV.

That said, I ride and have nothing against bikes. For the SUV driver to just drive away is unforgivable. Not everyone is capable and 'together' enough to jump out of the car and administer aid, or even comfort to the injured biker, but you don't leave. Even if you just pull over to the side of the road, call the cops, and weep in your car until they show up, you don't leave (and I mean that morally, the legal aspect notwithstanding).

Limit for that part of Federal is 30 or 35. The biker was going WAY over that. But laying the bike down is the wrong decision - you get a lot more stopping power by staying upright and keeping the wheels on the road. Veer right, you're going into a parking lot. Veer left, your going into oncoming traffic. No win, because you are riding too fast.

At night, the SUV driver would only see the one headlight, and cannot judge the bike's speed because he doesn't have enough depth perception, based on one headlight. The only thing he had to do was stop and call the cops, and he would get off (assuming he's not drunk).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

That bike had to be doing at least 40 mph at the moment of impact judging by the energy from pushing that truck around. I can figure that he was in excess of 60 or 65 mph before hitting the brakes. It looks like he was slowing down BEFORE he locked the brakes.

Now, the left turn was unsafe. Perhaps the driver did not think that the motorcycle was going that quickly No excuse. Still, the motorcycle was traveling well in excess of a resonable speed.

THis is shared fault.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

look very closely at the video on full screen on the upper lefthand corner and you can see him pass a car. in my estimation he was moving along pretty fast.
doesn't look like he used any front brake and got a little sideways and let up.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Yeah, obviously it was a panic braking scenario. He should of been standing on the front wheel, with the rear tire off of the ground instead, if he was applying all the brakes he had.

Riders: practice emergency braking and turns!

The biggest disadvantage motorcycles have in emergency situations: They can't turn right away. You first have to turn the wrong way, to get the bike to lean, and then make your turn. Cars can instantly crank the wheel.....

Yeah, obviously it was a panic braking scenario. He should of been standing on the front wheel, with the rear tire off of the ground instead, if he was applying all the brakes he had.

Riders: practice emergency braking and turns!

The biggest disadvantage motorcycles have in emergency situations: They can't turn right away. You first have to turn the wrong way, to get the bike to lean, and then make your turn. Cars can instantly crank the wheel.....

Precession is a bitch >:(

Unfortunately half the drivers of cars think it is necessary to swing right and then left for a left turn, and vice-versa.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Speed kills.

Sure the SUV Failed ROW, but if the MC was traveling a more appropiate speed, then braking may have been more effective. Also, instead of locking it up, brake and escape. It is taught for a reason. I've personally used it to save my life. That's on a 850lbs sport touring bike with electronic ABS (now I'm on a Honda ST130 previously it was a BMW 1150RT, which is when I had to use that skill).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The biggest disadvantage motorcycles have in emergency situations: They can't turn right away. You first have to turn the wrong way, to get the bike to lean, and then make your turn.

Huh? If you are referring to counter steering? It's not rocket science. It is in fact pretty instantaneous (within a tenth or so of a second). All motorcyclists should be aware of this potential life saving technique. When you want to turn you don't lean into turn, you simply:

1) Look where you want to go.
2) Push on the handlebars in this direction.

Push right to go right. Push left to go left.

ABS is a great feature on any motorcycle, and might have helped save this rider's life if he had it. BMW has anti-lock brakes on some of their bikes, including the new 1000RR. Keith Code’s California Superbike School has seen a 60% reduction in accidents at the school since they adopted the BMW race ABS and traction control packages on their training bikes.

We have no way of knowing how experienced this rider was, but there are some good choices to be made for safety. The most important is know your limits and not outride them. But good technology can help save lives, too.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD