shah269

Ever want to just shoot your IT guys in the eye?

And how about bald people?
Sheesh!
Get a rug or a transplant already!:P

No, I like people being scared....

Uh huh...just scare all the little people.... [:/]

Well not all of them ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

i was just wondering if its just me or does anyone else consider eener's avatar quite possibly the hottest picture on this website. anyone?

Ever see the avatars of RoysPlayThing?:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

i was just wondering if its just me or does anyone else consider eener's avatar quite possibly the hottest picture on this website. anyone?

Ever see the avatars of RoysPlayThing?:)

Squeak B|

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Wow, I tried the exact opposite today - I was really nice to the guys on the help desk line and amazingly, good things happened.

Call #1 to report a browser issue (which impacts my productivity since many of the apps I use daily are web-based). He sets up a service request for me, then at the end of the call I say "Oh by the way, I think I'm due for a new laptop, can you help me with that?" He transfers me over to a different area (Call #2) and they log my request for a new laptop (which he also informs me is 4 months late, which is like years in technology time!).

So then I get a call back on the browser issue. He says "Hey, since you're also due for a new laptop do you think we can skip fixing this issue if you get your new laptop soon?" Fine, says me. He immediately follows up with the team that does the laptop replacements and I've got an appointment tomorrow to get a shiny new-to-me laptop.

Both problems solved ... and being nice to everyone certainly helped.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Just think, if you handled that like Shah sounds to be handling his, you could still be working on an Apple IIe
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Just think, if you handled that like Shah sounds to be handling his, you could still be working on an Apple IIe

I still have a couple of those in my "collection";)

I had one up until a couple years ago, still worked.

Was my first computer, I even learned how to program on that!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well, I work for an extremely large organization, so I can't say that my new laptop is going to be totally bleeding edge, but it'll be a big improvement over my almost 3-year old one.

Was thinking of replacing my work Blackberry while I'm at it but I got the scoop that if I sit tight till September iPhones will be approved on the corporate plan. I figure if work buys it and pays for the plan I'm not personally giving any money to the cult, right? :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I figure if work buys it and pays for the plan I'm not personally giving any money to the cult, right?

LOL!!! Not quite sure that is really how it works, but I like the way you think. ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I don't think it would work for me, it would go something like this.
Shah "Yo IT DUDES! How is it hanging!"

IT Dude "Oh hi Shah, you hot sexy bitch you! We be good! What's the problem brother from another mother once removed?"

Shah "Buddy, what is up! My email....I type this gorgeous responses to people and every other time I press send the darn thing crashes on me! Braaaa what gives with that!"

IT Dude "Fo shizza"

Shah "Hizza!"

IT Dude "We be working on it, you know the engineering chicks be sending pictures of their catz in hi rez to each other...."

Shah "Word!"

IT Dude "To your mother!"

Shah "Speaking of bitiches..."

IT Dude "No you didn't! Your mother is as big as Kanesh!"

Shah "Shut yo face before my mother Vishnu slaps you upside the head with her thousand arms!"

IT Dude "Ha!"

Shah "Any how what gives why can't I Google bitches on Google?"

IT Dude "You be googling the bitches yo!"

Shah "Yeah!"

IT Dude "Yeah!"
and so on and so on.....better not call and just come to terms there will be no googling of ass, tits, bitches and man thongs.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

It's like the Pterodactyl or Paracommander of computers, isn't it? Don't you still have some of those hanging around, too?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I had one up until a couple years ago, still worked.

Was my first computer, I even learned how to program on that!

I have a few of the II series...

one II+
couple IIe
couple IIc
IIGS
and all the printers monitors, external flooy drives etc that were common to each one

I also have one of the best clones of that series... the Franklin 1200 that pissed Jobs off so much :D:D

Then there is the Apple III.... not going to see many of those around;)

The Franklin was my first home comp!!!!!!! Need to see if mom and dad still have it..... I would play origon trail for hours on that.... And the hours programing the bomb droping sound!!!!
It's wild that I'm the IT director for SunPath now!!!
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

You're a colorful guy, and I feel kinda bad for you. Your threads generally take on this flavor:

- You analyze (and not infrequently complain about) something in earnest detail.
- Everyone thumps you for 150 posts.

Now back to our show.

In other words, nothing has changed in the past year around here :D. I didn't miss much B| ...

O

Well, I work for an extremely large organization, so I can't say that my new laptop is going to be totally bleeding edge, but it'll be a big improvement over my almost 3-year old one.

Either the computing world has slowed down over the past few years or I'm just getting old and less interested in following it. My work laptop is a Dell Precision M4400 that's over two years old and it's still a hell of a machine.

Also, our IT folks are pretty cool... especially considering they have to put up with a bunch of engineers all day.

>I was really nice to the guys on the help desk line and amazingly, good things happened.

Me too.

About six months ago my very old PC started having very minor problems. I lived with them for a while, then finally decided I needed a new computer. Went through the usual channels, but since my computer wasn't actually broken I didn't qualify. I considered getting a 120 volt cheater cord and seeing what that would do to the processor clock, but thought better of it.

Instead I started calling over all the minor problems.

"Yeah, opening a PDF causes the browser to freeze."
"Firefox or Explorer?"
"Both."
"OK, we're going to reboot your computer. Do you know how to do that?"
"Yes, but it will take a while."
"No problem, go ahead."
(time passes)
"Is it rebooted yet?"
"No, it's just starting to shut down. Giving me lots of warnings that this process and that process won't shut down cleanly."
"Just say OK to everything."
(time passes)
"So where are you guys located? India?"
"No, Tennesee. It's a support center for your IT department."
"How's life in Tennessee?"
"It's pretty good. We're getting a lot of rain though. The street flooded and we . . ."
(time passes)
"OK, has it rebooted?"
"No, it hasn't even shut down yet."
"Did you tell it to shut down?"
"Yes, a while ago."
"What's it telling you?"
"WINDOWS IS SHUTTING DOWN."
"Geez, that's a long time."
"Makes me wish this thing was a Droid."
"Yeah, a friend of mine got a Droid, it's great."
"I got a DroidX last week."
"Really? What's it like?"
"Big screen. Still getting used to the on screen keyboard."
"Oh yeah, it doesn't have a mechanical one."
"Nope."
"So . . . has your machine rebooted yet?"
"No, still hasn't shut down."
"How long does this usually take?"
"10 or so minutes to shut down, 8 or so to restart. Then another 3-4 minutes until it's usable."
"That's . . . too long. Your computer must be broken. I'm starting a trouble ticket that says 'replace motherboard and hard drive.' That should do it."
"OK thanks!

Either the computing world has slowed down over the past few years or I'm just getting old and less interested in following it. My work laptop is a Dell Precision M4400 that's over two years old and it's still a hell of a machine.

Also, our IT folks are pretty cool... especially considering they have to put up with a bunch of engineers all day.

I'm happy with the new one I picked up yesterday, and glad to have something a little faster (and with updated versions of the M$ apps), but my old one was just fine, too. It's just that (like Bill's) it had gotten to the point where the whole boot sequence was ridiculously long so that any time I did have a problem and had to reboot, that was 10-15 minutes of lost productivity.

But if someone had cleaned out and reimaged my old laptop, I probably could have been happy with it for a couple more years. I don't do a lot that requires heavy-duty speed/power, so what I had was more than adequate. The standard issue HP's we get take a lot of abuse - my issues seemed to be all OS/software related - the hardware was doing great.