CanuckInUSA

Frank Zappa Fans

Calling all fans of Frank Zappa. What was your favorite song(s)?

I think mine was "Cosmik Debris" though there are many others.

DANCIN FOOL.

Ì don't know much about dancin', that's why I got this song
One of my legs is shorter than the other and both my feet's too long
'Course now right along with 'em, I got no natural rhythm
But I go dancin' every night, hopin' one day I might get it right
I'm a dancin' fool (Dancin' fool)
I'm a dancin' fool
I'm a dancin' fool (Dancin' fool)
I'm a dancin' fool
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Although not a technically a "song", this was IMHO, one of his best things ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxB-ZePpS7E

I just finished watching Mr Zappa's testimony. I sure was not thinking that this thread belonged in SC, but Mr Zappa's testimony here just illustrates how out of touch politicians and their bureaucrats are with the rest of us who live in reality.

RIP Frank ... you were one of a kind.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

So many favorites.. and dammit, it's been too long since I rocked out on some Zappa.. I need to put some on my shuffle...

- Montana (ideally, the live Whipping Floss version from You Can't Do that on Stage Anymore)
- The whole Don't Eat the Yellow Snow and Nannok saga (again, the You Cant do that on Stage version is awesome)
- Dancing fool
- Joe's garage
and on and on and on...
Remster

The Torture Never Stops from Zoot Allures is amongst my favorites.
Last time I saw Zappa was during bootcamp liberty, San Diego, 1980. Acid and Zappa.;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw05xgp5Gw8

Should, also, add 'Black Napkins'. I think it is amongst the best of jazz fusion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI5JQFdv8Fs

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Me too. Probably the best concert I ever went to was my first Frank Zappa concert. For their encore, they just came out and jammed for about 30 minutes. I'm not real musical, but it was just incredible. That was a year that he had Jean-Luc Ponty touring with him.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Me too. Probably the best concert I ever went to was my first Frank Zappa concert. For their encore, they just came out and jammed for about 30 minutes. I'm not real musical, but it was just incredible. That was a year that he had Jean-Luc Ponty touring with him.

Wendy P.

:D:D you guys are SO old:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Side one
Over-nite sensation
1. Camarillo Brillo
2. I'm the Slime
3. Dirty Love
4. Fifty-Fifty

Side two

1. Zomby Woof
2. Dinah-Moe Humm
3. Montana

Frank Zappa – guitar, vocals on all tracks except "Fifty-Fifty" and most of "Zomby Woof"

George Duke – synthesizer, keyboards

Bruce Fowler – trombone

Tom Fowler – bass

Ralph Humphrey – drums

Ricky Lancelotti – vocals on "Fifty-Fifty" and "Zomby Woof"

Sal Marquez – trumpet, vocals on "Dinah-Moe Humm"

Jean-Luc Ponty – violin, baritone violin

Ian Underwood – clarinet, flute, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone

Ruth Underwood – percussion, marimba, vibraphone

Kin Vassy – vocals on "I'm the Slime", "Dinah-Moe Humm" and "Montana"

Tina Turner and the Ikettes - Backing vocals

I also loved the Best of Zappa album,how can you go wrong with "My guitar wants to kill your mama"

So many excellent songs on that one.

you guys are SO old

Zappa was big in the 70s and 80s (a time when I was a teenager and a young adult). Initially I was not a huge Zappa fan, but many of my friends were. So I had to listen to Frank whenever a friend put a Zappa record on (which happened a lot). At first I thought the music was bizarre. But in time it started to grow on me. I think it was 1981, when I got to see Zappa live in concert and it was a fantastic show. Too bad I consumed so much alcohol and hashish that evening as I was a bit of a zombie myself. Oh the silly things we do in youth ... and some people never grow up even if physically they are old. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

My uncle started "Ontario Music" in 1957 in Ontario, California. His store grew nicely over the years and he went from selling instruments to pianos and amps and lighting for bands.

My Uncle Jim was a Morman and one of the most straight laced men you would ever meet. He wore pressed white dress shirts and a tie every day at his store. One of his favorite customers was Frank Zappa. Go figure!

Zappa lived down the street and came in all of the time in the 60's. One day he rented a piano and rolled it down the street to his garage with his band members. Uncle Jim always got a kick out of Zappa and he always paid his bills, so that made my uncle a happy guy too.

My uncle passed away about 5 years ago and the store is now owned by another family. He had great photos (my cousin has them all now) of famous muscians that came into the store over the years.
I'm going to call her and see if she can find the one with Zappa in it. B|

I have seen Zappa about 30 times, went to his Baby Snakes film preview in a small theater in NYC with him there, I’ve hung with Flo and Eddie in the village, been to Zappa’s panty quilt exhibition in Denver, and still have about 35 old vinyl albums of his. I guess I’m a fan from long ago and one of my favorite songs is Mud Shark, but there are many others too.

A couple non-typical songs from Zappa I ran across in recent years sound more like jazz than his better-known compositions:

Watermelon in Easter Hay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bwtMPXG_0

Black Napkins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-NMnYhM3Q
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.