oldwomanc6

Stick Shifts and Sports Cars

How many of you (especially youngsters) even know how? If you do, would you be willing to teach a potential hook-up? in your own car? or borrow one so as not to screw yours up? Or is your Prius your dream car?

This might will be fun to see what you all answer.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I've owned two stickshift vehicles: a 97 Jeep Wrangler and a 99 Jeep Wrangler. The number of people who have driven both vehicles, other than me, I can count on one hand.

I just can't handle sitting shotgun while somebody grinds the gears and clutch to dust. Part of me smiles because I bought the 99 when it was 11 years old with 140,000 miles on it: the clutch's maiden virtue was LONG gone by the time I got my hands on it. But it just doesn't matter: it's MY clutch, my transmission, and I can't stand somebody else hurting it.

Never mind a "potential hookup:" I'm trying to get my WIFE used to driving the thing and it's a jaw-clenching, white-knuckle, tongue-biting exercise in restraint.

... especially when she misses the 2nd-to-3rd shift and instead finds 5th.

B|

Elvisio "it's the OTHER stick I like her hands on" Rodriguez

I am willing to bet the ratio of women on here that can drive stick vs the regular community is higher.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

How many of you (especially youngsters) even know how? If you do, would you be willing to teach a potential hook-up? in your own car? or borrow one so as not to screw yours up? Or is your Prius your dream car?

what about column shift, how many of you can drive a column
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

whart about column shift, how many of you can drive a column

Meee! Mee! Mee! Three in the tree, four on the floor! :) Hmmm, a new permutation. BTW, Edsels and Ramblers don't count as sports cars. >:(
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Groan. That was one of Detroits dumbest ideas ever.:S

I knew a guy who had a mid-60's Chevy Impala with a 427 4bbl, and a 3-speed column shift. Some old man had ordered it that way.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I drive a stick shift, and I will (and have) taught people on my car. So I answered yes & yes. but if I had a manual sports car.... maybe I'd be less than willing to teach on that. ;) Though I have found not all guys like being taught how to drive by a girl even if I'm the only one willing to let them kill the clutch.

o and for your curiosity as to the young thing, I learned how to drive it when I was 19.B|

This is so funny Most UK drivers get taught to drive as you guys call it stick shifts. Only ever know one person who had a automatic only license:S,which i found weird:D.

Its only been in the States where i ever hear of large groups of people driving Automatics, only ever had one as a hire car and well it was ok but would not swap for Manual.Stick to you guys is normal for most people here and my petrol head days where all sticks :D:D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

How many of you (especially youngsters) even know how?

All I have driven since 1990 is stick (3 different vehicles in that time).

If you do, would you be willing to teach a potential hook-up?

Absolutely, someone needs to drive if I can't drive.

in your own car?

Not a problem. Heck they would even have a choice as to which one to learn on. Either a five speed '99 Jeep Wrangler or a six speed '97 Porsche 911. Question is do they want to learn how to "Heal/Toe". I can't "Heal/Toe" in the Jeep even if my life depended on it (the pedals are too far away and the center console also gets in the way). But "Heal/Toe'ing" in the 911 is not hard ... heck it's made to "Heal/Toe".

Actually they should probably learn to drive both vehicles.

Or is your Prius your dream car?

Please don't make me laugh. There is however one hybrid I would love to get my hands on, except that it is not available for the public buy and even if it was I could not afford it.

My dream hybrid

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I learned driving at 12, my Grandad's pickup with column shift. Bought a stick shift Camaro as soon as I could. Got a Nissan Maxima 5 speed when I had to teach my daughters to drive. They like stick shifts and one bought a Vue with a stick.
My cousin's daughter learned in a Prius and he says she cant drive worth a damn, thinks she's in a state fair bumper car, go and stop,, thats all she can do. ( kind of scary, too )
I have a theory that if one goes to flight school and especially heli school, the manual shift experience is extremely valuable.

Back in the early 80's I had a '69 Camaro...with a bench seat & 3 on the tree! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Back in the early 80's I had a '69 Camaro...with a bench seat & 3 on the tree! :S

I can beat that;
I had a 1967 Camaro with 327 2bbl, and a Powerglide.
TWO, count 'em TWO gears in that slushpump.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I can beat that;
I had a 1967 Camaro with 327 2bbl, and a Powerglide.
TWO, count 'em TWO gears in that slushpump.:S

Better yet, a friend in high school had a '67 with a straight 6 and a slushpump...50's on the back and 60's in the front. I think he had more $ in the Craiger SS wheels than the car was worth! The tired lil' 250 could barely pull the TIRES! :D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

This is so funny Most UK drivers get taught to drive as you guys call it stick shifts. Only ever know one person who had a automatic only license:S,which i found weird:D.

And the other thing is, using a manual gearbox is not hard. At all. Full synchromesh has been standard in pretty much every car you can buy for several decades now, so how anyone could fail to grasp at least the basic technique of clutch goes in, stick moves, clutch goes out is beyond me...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

And the other thing is, using a manual gearbox is not hard. At all. Full synchromesh has been standard in pretty much every car you can buy for several decades now, so how anyone could fail to grasp at least the basic technique of clutch goes in, stick moves, clutch goes out is beyond me...

yeh true only had 1 clutch fail on me after 20 years of driving as well and that was after 70,000 miles on it from new on a 4x4 :D:D very straight forward to drive Manuals :)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Meee! Mee! Mee! Three in the tree, four on the floor! :) Hmmm, a new permutation. BTW, Edsels and Ramblers don't count as sports cars. >:(

My first car was a 74 Nova with 3 on the tree.

Learned how to drive a standard in that car, and was scared shitless of it (was a beast)

Learned an important lesson... buy the clutch and U-Joints with the lifetime warranty... I got REALLY good at changing those out! (even on the side of the road, no joke!)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well, I would teach anyone to drive my manual transmission vehicle... but it's not called the antichrist for nothing!

I know people who normally drive a manual who won't even think of trying to drive it... :)

omg! I love your car! I would SO drive it!

Well, I would teach anyone to drive my manual transmission vehicle... but it's not called the antichrist for nothing!

I know people who normally drive a manual who won't even think of trying to drive it... :)

That looks awesome!! B|

I had a 95 4Runner with a 2 inch lift and 33 inch tires...I bought about 2 minutes after I found it on eBay because it was a manual! Love that beast...it was nicknamed The Stomper, like those 1980s RC cars that made lots of noise w/ their tires. :P I miss it... [:/]

Careful, those LR Defenders are tricky sometimes.

But they're all kinds of fun to drive around with the doors off, cranking thru the gears!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Define Youngster, Lisa. Almost all of my cars have been sticks. I've also driven tractor trailers w/15 & 18 speed trannies. Once you're used to them. You don't even use the clutch unless you come to a complete stop. Hell, I even drove a dinosaur once w/two sticks (main & auxiliary). I won't teach someone on one of my vehicles. It's too abusive to the drive train.

I remember a news report about a year ago. Some ghetto bonehead carjacked a sports car. It was a stick. The turd didn't know how to drive it, & fled on foot.