oldwomanc6

Stick Shifts and Sports Cars

If I had the cash right now I would have had my GPZ fixed and rode it today. If i had some more cash I would have picked up that nice Ducti 848 that I took for a spin last month. And so on and so no.

I like 911, beautiful car, the funky physics really make it a fun car around a race track but like most gorgeous cars she will kill you if you don't pay attention.
As you said DO NOT FREAKIGN TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS!

But you know how law suits are and well sadly I've driven older air cooled 911's and their modern brother and well...the older ones were just that much more raw. But what can you do? You produce a product for a given market.
And in the US as it stands....the market wants automatic sports cars.

And don't laugh, automatic bikes are right around the corner. Just look at the new VFR.

I have to admit, I am very turned on by a girl who knows how to drive stick. It's sexy, it's nice and it indicates she perhaps enjoys driving as much as I do.

But I guess maybe....I could teach a girl to enjoy the drive as well.

And who knows maybe when I'm out from under this condo, I'll pick up a nice middle of the road sports car?
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/12_01/RedCar_468x278.jpg

What a mans car! Two doors, two seats and the open road.
Can't wait till I'm done with my MBA, condo is gone, the economy heats up and the future looks better.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

If it has a lid on it Shah, it's NOT a SPORTSCAR! :P

Ah well...hum...aaahh...well....
I have no hair....sun burn is an issue.
So....well I need a lid!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Ah well...hum...aaahh...well....
I have no hair....sun burn is an issue.
So....well I need a lid!

'Real Men' drive fast at NIGHT! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If it doesn't have a roll bar it's not a sportscar! "hoop" don't count! Hardtops do look a hell of a lot better though.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

If it doesn't have a roll bar it's not a sportscar! "hoop" don't count! Hardtops do look a hell of a lot better though.

Yeah right...rollbar, like on a forklift :D:D:D

Yeah right...rollbar, like on a forklift :D:D:D

Safer than the hoops on that Z4. :o I'd go with a full blown cage but not sure if any cars actually come stock with them.

Ever since seeing this show (not my vid) I've wanted a car to make backwards, preferably a sports car.

http://youtu.be/xcOqPZxd540

I've always wanted to learn. I had a boyfriend who started to teach me right before I left for college, but I left before I really got any good practice in and that was over four years ago.

The husband and I have looked at a few manual cars since coming to Korea, but we always end up either talking ourselves out of the car (because we dont need it, not because it's a stick); or once we commit, something happens to the car that we can't/won't buy it.

One of these days, I'll learn.

I own a sports car, had it since age 18. It's a six speed manual. But with my aftermarket springs being so stiff I don't think any girl would want to learn in it. They would probably have to use both feet to push the pedal down. At the same time though, learning to drive stick in a sports car is 10x easier just because you have that big ass motor. I can start off in 3rd gear no problem, and go from 1st to 6th even.

"If it has a lid on it Shah, it's NOT a SPORTSCAR!"

Err, Pops? Last time I checked. Convertibles have less structural rigidity than their hardtop brethren. As such, they are less of a sports car, not more. True sports car appreciation isn't about posing in front of a Starbucks. It's about hauling Ass, & the mail. Hardtops get around corners better than too-flexible ragtops.

You should be glad she can't drive it. She can buy a Subaru if she wants to drive a stick. They've got that hill-holding feature on some of 'em.

P.S.: Ooops. More high tech crap. I guess they're really not sticks then, either...

I am willing to bet the ratio of women on here that can drive stick vs the regular community is higher.

+1

I despise automatics. all of my vehicles have been sticks...other than a couple beaters with heaters I had back in the 60's when it became painfully obvious that it was time to park the sports car for the winter as the snow was swirling around in the inside of my TR-3 on the way to school.:ph34r:.

Err, Pops? Last time I checked. Convertibles have less structural rigidity than their hardtop brethren. As such, they are less of a sports car, not more. True sports car appreciation isn't about posing in front of a Starbucks. It's about hauling Ass, & the mail. Hardtops get around corners better than too-flexible ragtops.

You do understand the difference between a sportscar and a racecar right? :P

See, I knew this was going to be entertaining :D

I'm also glad to see that the difference between the two is understood.

Everybody needs one of each :P The convertible for the beautiful days when you want to cruise around, and one to take to the track, but is still drivable on those days when you want to commute in it. B|:)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

See, I knew this was going to be entertaining :D

Everybody needs one of each :P The convertible for the beautiful days when you want to cruise around, and one to take to the track, but is still drivable on those days when you want to commute in it. B|:)

A proper sports car does not have rollup windows or a hard top, it has a soft top and side curtains:ph34r:

Sorry Lisa, but I never bought that approach to sport cars. Full-race cars are too extreme for the street, yes. Making the extreme compromise of structural rigidity & safety for trolling main street never made much sense to me. Go-fast cars should go fast. Poseur cars are like the fat guy who sucks his gut in when the pretty girls go by...

Sorry Lisa, but I never bought that approach to sport cars. Full-race cars are too extreme for the street, yes. Making the extreme compromise of structural rigidity & safety for trolling main street never made much sense to me. Go-fast cars should go fast. Poseur cars are like the fat guy who sucks his gut in when the pretty girls go by...

I take your point about "full(true)race cars" But there are levels and levels of sports cars. Some are closer to race cars than others :P and are able to go to the track and give it a damn-good show. :)
So, Kenny, You sayin' you never want more than one fast car at any given moment? ;):P

Sorry, but I like knowing I can leave even the cops in the dust :) (although, they can radio ahead to head me off at the pass :o:$) I actually had a cop ask me if I could outrun him and (that is what I answered):D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Making the extreme compromise of structural rigidity & safety for trolling main street never made much sense to me. Go-fast cars should go fast. Poseur cars are like the fat guy who sucks his gut in when the pretty girls go by...

Yeah but did ya ever notice the guys needing to drive a car so hard on the street where 'structual rigidity' is a major concern, usually have a big watch and really small shoes too?

Yeah but did ya ever notice the guys needing to drive a car so hard on the street where 'structual rigidity' is a major concern, usually have a big watch and really small shoes too?

Don't forget a small brain.

Obviously there is a certain safety concern with convertibles on race tracks, but there is nothing wrong with a convertible sports car on the public roads. Ever since I started to track my car, there has been a clear separation between how one should drive a car on the public roads versus how a car can be driven on a race track. At the track the only limits are your own personal limits and the limits of how much grip your tires give you and how well your brakes are performing. Exceed any one of these limits and you could be in for some expensive repairs, or worse. But the public roads are not the place to explore limits. So if you do drive a convertible, put the top down and enjoy the day in your fine automobile well within the limits where structure rigidity is not an issue.

I was at the track again today and I can't tell you how much fun it is. But it has it's downsides. I kept my normally aspirated 993 on the track where it belonged, and put in some good laps. I even got to ride in a couple of 993 Turbos (a first for me) which was awesome and now I lust for a faster car. But I was also left with an empty feeling at the end of the day as I realized my front brakes need to be replaced ... again ... and my tires are also approaching the end of their life. This stuff is fun fun fun ... but dang I need to find cheaper hobbies. Maybe I can find pleasure in watching paint dry? LOL

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

>:( A sportscar does an occasional trackday. A racecar does an occasional streetday. :ph34r:

Seriously cars look soooo much better with hardtops. I have a soft top for mine but much prefer the looks with the hardtop on. Now those little Mercedes I think it was had an excellent idea with the convertible hardtops.