oldwomanc6

Stick Shifts and Sports Cars

Ahhh TR-3. 1971, me 14, brother 17 bought 12 yr old beat up TR-3.
Rebuilt it, Funnnn car. Learned to drive stick with it. At one point starter went. Took about 2 weeks to get parts. My brother took me everywhere cause he needed me to help start it. One time at a traffic light he stalled it. Guy behind us was honking and yelling, started laughing his ass off when I got out with the hand crank and started the car. It had a hand crank like a jack handle that went thru a small opening in the grill. Now laughing driver said he hadn't seen that in 30 yrs. Sorry bro got rid of it.
Even trade for a BSA single cylinder 441 Victor motorcycle, but thats another ankle breaking starting story.

A guy in a convertible is gayer than a rainbow flag. There simply isnt a manly convertible.

i beg to differ. . . :)
http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/pagani-zonda-cinque-1-450.jpg
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

That's not a car, its a pride week advertising sign.

If ya really need a CAR to define your masculinity, buy whatever hides the insecurities.;):ph34r:

I quit caring what people think about my choices back in high-school, if I'm happy that's really all that matters to me. B|

Ragtops I've owned~

MGB
TR6
Rambler American
'67 GTO
'70 GTO
TR8
Spitfire
'70 Vette
Jeep CJ 7
Sidekick
'95 Vette
Currently have- a Sebring & a Z4.

Personally I really enjoy driving with the roof down, like at night after a good day at the dropzone...it's about an hour cruise, but seems to go by a lot quicker.B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

"So, Kenny, You sayin' you never want more than one fast car at any given moment?"

One love at a time, Lisa. One bike...one car.

I wouldn't want to try & drive an F1 McLaren on the street. (Ok, I would but could never afford one.) Lopping the top off is too much of a compromise for the Purist in me. Convertibles are nice. I just can't get into ones that think they're sports cars. Case in point. I saw a recent Ad for a new Nissan. It was their SUV Murano, as a convertible?! It was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

I like 911, beautiful car, the funky physics really make it a fun car around a race track but like most gorgeous cars she will kill you if you don't pay attention.
As you said DO NOT FREAKIGN TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS!

But you know how law suits are and well sadly I've driven older air cooled 911's and their modern brother and well...the older ones were just that much more raw. But what can you do? You produce a product for a given market.
And in the US as it stands....the market wants automatic sports cars.

I finally got around to reading a two part article in the PCA's Panorama magazine concerning "Stick versus PDK". For those who don't know, the Panorama magazine is sent out to all PCA members similar to the USPA's Parachutist rag. Anyway it was an interesting read with many pros and cons for Stick or Porsche's new PDK transmission. Most respondents (2 to 1) favored stick over the PDK. But the general consensus was if you only drive on the public roads and you want to maximize your driving experience, then the manual transmission was the way to go. And while mastering "heal toe" shifting on the track can be a beautiful engaging thing, when it comes to pure performance on the track, nothing can beat left foot braking using the PDK with paddle shifters. My car is not a modern car, so I still use the stick and my 993 is the last year of the air cooled engines so it has a little extra character that the more modern 911 cousins have. But as one person in the article pointed out "Today's innovation is tomorrow's tradition". Manual transmissions are not going away in high end sports cars. They just won't be the norm and they will need to be special ordered.

Oh and I am not so sure we should be blaming the US market for influencing Porsche's move to the PDK transmission. Two points here (as someone from the Panorama article pointed out):

1) "In America, women tend to wear the tight pants, $400 shoes and shave. In Europe it is the exact opposite. In America sports cars still have stick shifts while in Europe many of the cars imitate Formula One Technology". And well it is not just Europe. Look at what Nissan has done with their GTR. I have never driven one, but from everything I know about it, it is a performance beast that even a dummy could drive fast, as long as they don't hit anything.

2) America is still a huge market for Porsche, but the largest growing market for them is China and soon we will be forced to buy options that the Chinese think are important.

So it's a combination of catering to the people who want to emulate F1 technology and cater to the Chinese. That is just the way it is in our ever changing world. The bottom line is, if you do enjoy driving cars, drive one that makes you happy. I thoroughly enjoy driving my 6 speed 993 on the public roads and it is even more fun to track it (though I never use 6th gear on the track). But if I had the money for another higher performance track car, you better believe I would be left foot braking with a PDK just as long as it had paddle shifters to override the transmission when the need came up. Unfortunately right now I do not have the $$$ to be running out and buying a PDK equipped car. :|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over