oldwomanc6

Stick Shifts and Sports Cars

Careful, those LR Defenders are tricky sometimes.

But they're all kinds of fun to drive around with the doors off, cranking thru the gears!

It pre-dates the D's... it's actually a Series 2A, 1971 (well, most of it is 1971...)

and cranking through all 4 gears? Top speed, 50 MPH (and that's downhill, with a tailwind!) :P

Well, I would teach anyone to drive my manual transmission vehicle... but it's not called the antichrist for nothing!

I know people who normally drive a manual who won't even think of trying to drive it... :)

omg! I love your car! I would SO drive it!

Well, hopefully I will be driving it to Byron in a few weeks on weekends, so I can re-start/finish AFF. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can drive it is welcome to give it a try while I'm there! :)

How many of you (especially youngsters) even know how? If you do, would you be willing to teach a potential hook-up? in your own car? or borrow one so as not to screw yours up? Or is your Prius your dream car?

This might will be fun to see what you all answer.

Define Youngster, Lisa. Almost all of my cars have been sticks. I've also driven tractor trailers w/15 & 18 speed trannies. Once you're used to them. You don't even use the clutch unless you come to a complete stop. Hell, I even drove a dinosaur once w/two sticks (main & auxiliary). I won't teach someone on one of my vehicles. It's too abusive to the drive train.

I remember a news report about a year ago. Some ghetto bonehead carjacked a sports car. It was a stick. The turd didn't know how to drive it, & fled on foot.

My :D car @16 was a '47 Chevy pick-up...how many of you 'youngsters' know how to drive a 'double clutch'...no key, just a starter switch on the floor, and vaccum wipers! B|

It was the only thing my dad would trust me with, after I flipped his '65 442 ragtop two weeks after I got my license! :|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It was the only thing my dad would trust me with, after I flipped his '65 442 ragtop two weeks after I got my license! :|

How the hell did you not kill yourself flipping a ragtop???:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

How the hell did you not kill yourself flipping a ragtop???:S

I got lucky...lemme tell ya, it's real tough explaining to dad what happened to his pride & joy Oldsmobile as it goes by on a flatbed lookin' like a horseshoe! >:(

I lost it in a curve @ 110...It went 3X end over end....my Algebra book was stuck in the windshield, it wouldn't come out. ~ like I said...LUCKY! :$

I lost it in a curve @ 110...It went 3X end over end....my Algebra book was stuck in the windshield, it wouldn't come out. ~ like I said...LUCKY! :$

Math, people! Math! Vectors and such.. Math, people!!

Yikes, Is your middle name something feline?:ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I've driven a stick for the last 7 years. And yeah, I suppose at 23 I fit into your youngster category. Wouldn't teach anyone to drive stick on my new car (Infiniti G35 Coupe) but definitely wouldn't mind teaching people on my old Saab
This shit, right here, is OK

:D:D Oh it only got WORSE the next couple years!

My folks were REAL happy I took up Skydiving at 18...I had to sell my motorcycle to buy a rig! ;)

Manual tranny column shifters allow 3 across seating. Of course it is possible to have someone in the middle and still use a floor shifter, but car mfgs will not acknowledge it - I don't think they'd make a bench seat with a floor shift.

I've driven many, many cars with manual trans, and it is fun when driving aggressively in a car worth driving aggressively. I've never owned a car with a manual trans though - just want to get around easily in a basic way without racing around.

the use of the clutch and shifter on a motorcycle seems like no burden at all compared to a car.

Many modern cars will get better highway gas mileage with an auto tranny because the mfgs put slightly taller gearing on the auto vs manual.

I don't understand why a stick is attractive for a non-sports car daily driver.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

:D:D Oh it only got WORSE the next couple years!

My folks were REAL happy I took up Skydiving at 18...I had to sell my motorcycle to buy a rig! ;)

I knew this was going to be entertaining, :D

Keep it coming, folks!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

An automatic sports car?
That's like kissing your own sister!
I don't care how freaking hot she is that's just wrong!
Any guy...her person caught buying an automatic sports car should be shot on sight...TWICE!

This subject gives me major issues! I know for a freaking fact that not too far from now enough well to do retards will make enough money and buy enough cars such that porsche will no longer import any sticks into the US. At which point I will have no choice but to buy a slush-O-matic!
Thus the career change / figuring out how to off load the condo.

So the answer would be "how cute is this girl?"
And most likely no!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

So your answer is "Paddle Shifters and Boobies", yes?

HELL NO!
I'm sorry slappy paddles are even worse!
That's for guy who THINK they can drive stick!
Yes bla bla bla technology bla bla bla bla fast shifting bla bla bla...the only reason they are there is so that the freaking Hipster can hold a bladder buster frapamockahalfcafnofatsoychai thing!

Real men...and I'm talking guys with hair on their chests and who know how to pump their own gas, check the oil and tire pressures....drive stick!
And here is why. With my eyes closed, i can place my hand on that gorgeous piece of machinery and I can feel the heart of my car. I can feel the engine. And simply said we are one.
No drink in hand, no texting no tweeting....man doing what a man does best! Taking charge!

And don't the ladies love it! UUUH!
Driving a city girl around NYC in a stick...almost a sexual experience right there! Hell even in my 02 1.8T the cute little things eyes dilated and she had a smile on her face.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I've driven a stick for the last 7 years. And yeah, I suppose at 23 I fit into your youngster category. Wouldn't teach anyone to drive stick on my new car (Infiniti G35 Coupe) but definitely wouldn't mind teaching people on my old Saab

what if I already know how to drick stick? then can I drive it?;)

Modern auto trannies are much less "slushy" than in decades past.

I seem to remember the best and fastest dragsters in the world having auto trans.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Modern auto trannies are much less "slushy" than in decades past.

I seem to remember the best and fastest dragsters in the world having auto trans.

As a very fun girl once said to me "No matter how good the toy, you just can't beat the real thing!"

Sorry mate no dice! The ladies do love that take charge kind of guy and nothing says take charge like a man who knows how to properly drive his car regardless of the make or model.

You know...it's the old, grab her by the hair and kiss her, methodology.

I don't think a human can out perform an automatic transmission in a straight line. It's exiting the corners where the manual transmission is needed as you want to have control of the torque selection. Also, paddle shifters are total overkill for the public roads, but paddle shifters shine on the race track.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

:D Thanks for that, you are funny when you put your mind to it. :D:D

Oh, BTW, keep your eyes on the road, not on her eyes or closed :o

And the hand should be firmly placed on the stick (as in shifter), not her leg (or ...) :P

...and the heater on high, gotta get that sweater off SOMEHOW! B|

:D Thanks for that, you are funny when you put your mind to it. :D:D

Oh, BTW, keep your eyes on the road, not on her eyes or closed :o

And the hand should be firmly placed on the stick (as in shifter), not her leg (or ...) :P

...and the heater on high, gotta get that sweater off SOMEHOW! B|

*the light clicks on* So THAT'S what happened? :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

How many of you (especially youngsters) even know how? If you do, would you be willing to teach a potential hook-up? in your own car? or borrow one so as not to screw yours up? Or is your Prius your dream car?

This might will be fun to see what you all answer.

All my cars have been stick shift and my wife does a fine job driving my Audi (we've had her chauffeur us up winding dirt road switchbacks from the bottom of a canyon in Moab, UT where we took the fast way down).

what if I already know how to drick stick? then can I drive it?;)

I would let you drive mine. I am not overly protective. After all it is a car and it was made to be driven. In fact, not counting learning how to drive it at the limit, my car is not that hard to drive at all. You just need to remember one very important rule about it. It is actually safer to be on the gas exiting the corner than to be taking a corner with no throttle applied. Follow that basic rule (be on the gas in the corners) and you will be fine.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

First two cars were stick shifts, including one of my favorite cars ever, a Honda CRX Si. I have a Prius now and like it a lot. The most fun car I've ever driven (Tesla Sportster) basically doesn't have a transmission - and I have a feeling we'll be seeing more cars like that.

Putting boobies with paddles isn't fair.

Now I'll teach someone manual but not in my sports car. :o The manual concept also carries over to motorcycles. ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.