Nataly

Gimme a tip, dammit!

I had an interesting experience a few days ago in Nacogdoches, Texas. I checked into the restaurant on FourSquare, and noticed there was a "mayor" on there, so I asked the waitress if she knew the person. She said "no, why?" So I tried to tell her that the person was the mayor, and the waitress proceeded to chew me out and state that "THIS restaurant doesn't HAVE a mayor". She got really rude with it, too.

So -- no tip. She really shouldn't have chewed me out until AFTER I left the tip!

I'm not sure I understand this. Mayor? Restaurant?

www.foursquare.com

Anyhow, maybe you and she were talking past each other. Maybe she is proud of Mexican cuisine, and thought you were asking for "mayo", which she considers vile, and thought you were insulting her so she was deeply offended and it's a good thing you left when you did because she was going to get her brother to take care of you.

So here's your tip: never ask a Texican waitress for mayo.

I grew up in Texas, and a whole lot closer to the border than Nacogdoches. This waitress was just a youngster who had a bad attitude. And NOT Hispanic in the least.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

This waitress was just a youngster who had a bad attitude.

Then you gave her the best tip of all: learning from experience how not to behave.

I kinda thought I tipped her what she was worth.

And she really, really shouldn't chew out her customers and then expect a tip.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

I see your bicycle incident has not impared your ability to come up with just the right hillarious tidbit of comic genius!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

It's not like they made her sit in the corner starring at a wall with no food...no service.

Yes, actually that is *exactly* what they did! I was put in a corner next to/behind a pillar and forgotten. I kept fighting to get the waitress' attention. People who arrived after me finished their meal before I even got mine.

And that is totally beside the point. I don't care about the waitress' 10 illegitimate kids - should salary be adjusted to fit needs? Mine isn't. I don't care if they work their asses off - should we reward effort and not results? I worked for 3 months as a Recruitment Consultant - I didn't bring in the cash despite working like a maniac. I got sacked. Are the circumstances beyond her control? No. She can do *her* job well, and if she doesn't like her job she can get another one.

And if I don't feel like giving a tip, she can suck it up and bitch about it later.

After reading this little tidbit into your psyche, I've changed my mind about her bitching you out in front of everyone. It was awesome and you totally deserved it. To your face. I'm glad she didn't wait till you left to do it.

Hope she spit in your food as well.

In Boston a server will pull in $150 to $250 an night in tips at a mid priced level establishment.

At a fine food spot, they can bring in $300-$600 a night.

Which is exactly why I don’t tip, those fuckers earn more than i do why the hell should i be subsidising them.

Friggin baby factories can give me some of their wealth

Good. Stay in Australia. Fuck over the hard working waiters there.

I just committed a big social no-no...

If the waitress did her job, there's no reason to punish -her-. Punish the restaurant for the the shitty seat and the shitty food by never going back, but realize those things aren't in the control of the wait staff.

If the waiter got your order wrong and spilled shit on you, sure, be upset with them, but you HAVE to realize what is and isn't in the waiter's control. Seating assignments and food aren't.

These are good points.

As for asking you about not tipping - were you in an area that has lots of travelers? Tipping isn't customary in lots of parts of the world, so in places like Banff they explain it on the menu (that 15% is custom) because many tourists aren't expecting it. Maybe she thought you were unaware, and so wasn't being rude but just thought you didn't know the custom?

Tipping is customary in Canada. Whether or not you agree with it does not change things. If you received poor service, leave a poor tip and talk to the manager.

I don't necessarily agree with the system, but if you are eating out in Canada expect to pay about 15% in tip (more for great service, less for poor service). Not tipping is rude in Canada - if the service is so poor to warrant no tip then walk out before finishing.

Ill be over there shortly to fuck over your hard working baby making wait staff as well:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

After reading this little tidbit into your psyche, I've changed my mind about her bitching you out in front of everyone. It was awesome and you totally deserved it. To your face. I'm glad she didn't wait till you left to do it.

Hope she spit in your food as well.

I'd left her a 2 cent tip, especially on a credit card, with a note under it that says "You're lucky I didn't call your managers attention to your service or lack thereof"

I've done it before, and hopefully won't have to again.

ETA: The hooters chick didn't find it funny... Guess she thought she could be a complete bitch to our entire group of 8-10 people, just because she had nice tits, we should tip her.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The hooters chick

Well, at least, you knew the food would be bad... :P

Hey, it wasn't MY choice of places to eat, yeah the food sucks, but it was the service that took the cake that time.

(Yes, the food was better than the waitress... think about THAT)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The hooters chick

Well, at least, you knew the food would be bad... :P

I've found food always tastes pretty good when there are nice tits to look at.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Ill be over there shortly to fuck over your hard working baby making wait staff as well:)

*EXCELLENT* :D:D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

What's up with everyone referring to waitresses as illegitimate baby factories? If that's how you see them and think of them maybe that is part of the reason for your bad service issue. I walk into a restaurant with a smile on my face and a pleasant attitude. I have a quick conversation with the server, making sure not to say the same line they've heard over and over about the weather or how busy their day has been. Friendly banter if you will. Please and thanks you's always. And call them by their name. End result my service is great and I just made their day a little better.

What's up with everyone referring to waitresses as illegitimate baby factories? If that's how you see them and think of them maybe that is part of the reason for your bad service issue. I walk into a restaurant with a smile on my face and a pleasant attitude. I have a quick conversation with the server, making sure not to say the same line they've heard over and over about the weather or how busy their day has been. Friendly banter if you will. Please and thanks you's always. And call them by their name. End result my service is great and I just made their day a little better.

You haven't dined with me, I think those who have have enjoyed the experience, including wait persons.
Hippy, Gonzo and I had a great time hassling the wait staff in an AZ dinner one night.:ph34r:
I think she was fine with the tip that was left:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I for one was merely responding to all the lame excuses for why I should have tipped the waitress. Waiters should not expect a tip from me if they don't do a good job. End of.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I use to keep score for the PBA tour when I was in high school, (I was an aspiring pro bowler) they use to come to town once a year. Not always, but sometimes the bowlers would give you a couple of bucks as a tip after each match. After keeping score for the great Marshall Holman and not being tipped, I asked him "How bout a tip' he replied "Sure, what are you doing wrong?"

After never fully picking up the sport, I was politely told I might try skydiving.

I use to keep score for the PBA tour when I was in high school, (I was an aspiring pro bowler) they use to come to town once a year. Not always, but sometimes the bowlers would give you a couple of bucks as a tip after each match. After keeping score for the great Marshall Holman and not being tipped, I asked him "How bout a tip' he replied "Sure, what are you doing wrong?"

After never fully picking up the sport, I was politely told I might try skydiving.

Bowlers revenge for all the klutzes we send their way.....:ph34r::ph34r:
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I for one was merely responding to all the lame excuses for why I should have tipped the waitress.

Not as lame as your excuses for not tipping.

They did not hold a gun to your head and make you sit in the corner under a drippy air conditioner...that is your fault...you could've moved.

It is not her fault the poutine was disgusting. (as if it's such a delicacy to begin with...[rolls eyes]

It's not her fault that you would actually pay $12 for that crap. (unbelivable)

The waitress is just taking the brunt of punishement for a bad cook, bad management and your bad decisions.

The only thing that I agree with is that the waitress should not have complained to you in public about not receiving a tip...that is just as tacky and tasteless as not tipping.

Oh...I also agree with your other comment about you calling yourself a twat...:P:ph34r:
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I'm a "horrible" tipper. Never worked as a waiter growing up. My GF did and she always gives me shit. I was raised 10% and you can work your way up to 15% if you were great or down from there. What can I say, dad raised me a tightwad.

That being said, excellent service earns excellent tipping.
-My sushi chef - 20%+ depending on what we ate, as he usually gives me something new to try out, and his artwork is usually something to behold. He also knows my name, shakes my hand when I walk in, and let's me critique new sauces (ghost/habanero over white tuna and crab....mmmmmmm)
- If I come into a restaurant within 10 minutes of closing - I have tipped the waitstaff/bartender up to 100% of the bill, simply because I absolutely ABHOR people that do that to me at work. I'll only do it if I have NO other options.
- Just the other week, a few of us from the DZ went out to a local joint that has had "iffy" service in the past. The macaroni (main dish) came out lukewarm to cold for three of us. The waitress apologized, and we were polite with her about it. She comes back over and lets us know that the main dish is going to be comp'd, without us even asking for it. She ended up actually getting tipped more than the cost of the meal. Her service and attitude were excellent.

I despise "For parties of 6 or more an 18% gratuity will automatically be added to the bill". In trying to make sure that the large parties don't screw over the waitstaff it gives them an excuse to be lackluster in their service and still know they are getting a better tip than they probably deserved.

I for one was merely responding to all the lame excuses for why I should have tipped the waitress.

Not as lame as your excuses for not tipping.

They did not hold a gun to your head and make you sit in the corner under a drippy air conditioner...that is your fault...you could've moved.

It is not her fault the poutine was disgusting. (as if it's such a delicacy to begin with...[rolls eyes]

It's not her fault that you would actually pay $12 for that crap. (unbelivable)

The waitress is just taking the brunt of punishement for a bad cook, bad management and your bad decisions.

The only thing that I agree with is that the waitress should not have complained to you in public about not receiving a tip...that is just as tacky and tasteless as not tipping.

Oh...I also agree with your other comment about you calling yourself a twat...:P:ph34r:

Nope - you quoted a lot of things but not my reasons for not tipping.

The waitress' service was bad. The waitress put me at the only small table. This makes sense because the restaurant was relatively full - but it's still her responsibility to wait on all her tables. Everyone else got waited on and not me - I got forgotten. I don't call that good service - do you?

She was snappy and never offered an apology for repeatedly making me wait (when no one else was waiting). Is that good service?

I smiled at her when she first came over to the table, thinking perhaps she was overworked - she didn't return the smile. Is that good service?

From where I was sitting, things seemed to be running pretty smoothly - lots of waiters per table, speedy service, smiles all-round, but not my waitress... Is that good service?

So where the hell does she go off demanding a tip???!

Her job is to take my order, bring my food, give me the bill and take the payment. Those are the bare minimums. Tips, in my view, are for doing those tasks well. She did them badly. Yes, it could have been worse, and then I would have complained to the manager and asked for a refund.

Edit: spelling
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss