Skyper

Landing Boeing 727 without nose gear

Mental note - the 727 stops much faster without the nose gear extended.

It looked for sure like he was going to over-run the runway. Between a long touchdown, and then holding the nose off as long as possible to reduce the impact when it did hit, it looked like he would need another mile. Once the nose hit the tarmac, it was game-over.

I can only imagine the size of the runway in the windshield when the nose dropped below the standard, gear extended height. Looking downhill, right at the runway had to increase the 'pucker factor'.

What? They didn't have a pick up truck? The commercial on TV makes it look routine. ;)

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Crap like that happens when your only source for Boeing replacement parts is on the Black Market...

That was my thought; pretty good pilot, mediocre maintenance. :D

Nah.. its just another NATO plot:D

Yeaahhh...NATO is hugely popular in Iran...:S

I realize that sarcasm is tough on here.. but if you had been following Skypers posts recently..... what can I say... as an attorney one would think that perception problems would be detrimental:ph34r::ph34r:

Crap like that happens when your only source for Boeing replacement parts is on the Black Market...

Nah.. its just another NATO plot:D

Yeaahhh...NATO is hugely popular in Iran...:S

I realize that sarcasm is tough on here.. but if you had been following Skypers posts recently..... what can I say... as an attorney one would think that perception problems would be detrimental:ph34r::ph34r:

Meh. It was a long day...

Between a long touchdown, and then holding the nose off as long as possible to reduce the impact when it did hit,

To reduce impact when it did hit, the pilot would be better off not keeping the nose off the runway as long as possible.

In fact, this landing is about speed management, for the sake of impact management. Maintaining airspeed over the horizontal stabilizer means you maintain more control.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Between a long touchdown, and then holding the nose off as long as possible to reduce the impact when it did hit,

To reduce impact when it did hit, the pilot would be better off not keeping the nose off the runway as long as possible.

In fact, this landing is about speed management, for the sake of impact management. Maintaining airspeed over the horizontal stabilizer means you maintain more control.

Exactly. Control contact would've been better than letting it just, fall through.

Exactly. Control contact would've been better than letting it just, fall through.

It looked like a soft touchdown at a low speed, so I don't see reason to argue about the tradeoff that the pilot made.

I would not expect landing without a nosewheel to be a big deal. Lots of noise and damage but really not a reason to get too worked up.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I didn't know Skyride had a 727?!? :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The pilot would want to keep the nose off the runway until as much airspeed as possible had been bled off to minimize the risk of fire. The impact damage is negligible compared to the friction damage.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

No hucka's were knocked over not glasses of tea spilled on that landing...all is well all is well...nothing to see here....thank you for flying Persian Carpet Air what we lack in functioning wheels and landing gear we make up in looking sexy!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!