apixel

Tiny compass

The other day on the way up to altitude, I noticed someone had a tiny little compass attached to their alti strap. Does anybody here use something like this? I'm very bad when it comes to getting oriented in general, so initially this seems like a nice aid device for me. On the other hand, I use landmarks on the ground to tell me where I am. It's probably just my love for gadgets, but maybe there are some genuine good uses for something like this?

1) The metal of the altimeter is going to throw the compass off.

2) Unless you know what direction you need to go, a compass isn't going to you any good.

3) Time spent looking at a little compass is beter spent looking for traffic and looking for a place to land.

Skip the compass, it won't do you any good.

Derek

yeah, forget the compass, get a GPS;) Unless your doing cross country jumps and you're unfamiliar with the area and know how to navigate with a compass, it won't do you much good on normal jumps.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

If your ali is made of a non-magnetic material (aluminum) then it won't affect the compass, I say do it! The only thing you would loose is the 10$ you spent on the damn thing if you really don't use it. Plus then you get the 'look what that guy's got' factor.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

I would think that 1) The airport's runway makes a badass compass, 2) the sun makes a badass compass (except at noon), 3) roads around the DZ makes a badass compass, 4) major landmarks around the DZ makes a badass compass...

and lastly, in the worst scenerio, moss grows more on the north side of trees.:P

So basically, unless you're doing some sort of HAHO insertion into abc-stan in from 20 miles out from 32k at night, during a hailstorm with midget german snipers taking shots at you, a compass might be a tad bit overkill and pretty pointless.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I say do it! The only thing you would loose is the 10$ you spent on the damn thing if you really don't use it.

Did you read what Hooknswoop wrote?

3) Time spent looking at a little compass is better spent looking for traffic and looking for a place to land.

This worthless little compass may also lose the person thousands of dollars in hospital bills too. [:/]

In all the years I have been jumping I have NEVER found a compass valueble on any skydive.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Just call our toll free number now! I have an operator standing by to sell you a tiny compass, a swiss army knife, an emergency blanket and lot's of other gizmos to help you survive any skydive!

Oh. We sell parachutes too! Those really come in handy!

:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Just call our toll free number now! I have an operator standing by to sell you a tiny compass, a swiss army knife, an emergency blanket and lot's of other gizmos to help you survive any skydive!

Oh. We sell parachutes too! Those really come in handy!

:)

:) That way when you land waaaaaaay out, you've got the space blanket, compass and swiss army knife handy...

And for those that didn't notice, the above is VERY tongue - in - cheek.... :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I carry a compass in my jumpsuit pocket. It is for use after you land, not before. I'll wager it is the same case for the jumper you saw. I have been in many situations where I was glad I had a compass. Suppose for example you land out, and so do others, including in the dense swampy forest nearby. If you take a compass heading on them before you get into to woods, you might actually find them. Same for finding cutaway mains.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I had a little compass once, it came on the altimeter I bought used. It never seemed to be very accurate on the ground, and I never looked at it under canopy.

One day I was trying some new velcro on the wrist strap and the thing flew off in freefall. I haven't missed that little compass yet.

Isaiah

Doesn't everyone carry their out-landing kit?

Mine is in my jumpsuit pocket and contains a closing loop, rubber bands, pull-up cord, $5 bill and 2 quarters. Who knows when you might have to pack after landing off the dz, pay for a ride or need a drink, make a call?

If I do a cross country, I also include my cell phone.

Blue skies,

Jim

If you land out, and do not know which way the DZ is a compass will not help. If you know which way the DZ is, you do not need a compass.

Darkwing described an out in a swampy dense forest. This isn't applicable to any DZ in California I've been to, but I can certainly see the value of the compass there. In the air, you know where the DZ or a useful point is, but once you're on the ground, you may lack any useful navigational aids. This would be esp true in a flat state like Florida. No faraway mountains to use as reference points.

I could probably get by with the sun and deck reckoning, but it would likely mean more walking than if I had a compass and a good bearing.

An altimeter has more than enough metal in it to throw off a compass.

You made me curious. I tried it (photo attached). No effect on the compass - it worked fine.

3-rings, on the other hand, make it spin like a top! Other metal hardware, such as B-12 snaps and ripcord handles: very minor effect.

The only times that I can imagine where it might do you some good, is if you land out in the boonies, and know the general direction you need to travel to get to a road. Or if you're descending into a cloud, and want to hold a heading to get back to the airport. But those things happen very rarely. Or they should, anyway.

It wouldn't hurt to have a small flat one in a jumpsuit pocket, just in case. Along with a pull-up cord and spare rubber bands. Just like adding a whistle to your pocket for night jumps...

the sun makes a badass compass

Here's a little Boy Scout tip for night-time navigation. If you have a crescent moon, draw a line across the two tips of the moon, and extend it down to the ground horizon. Where that line touches the ground, is "south".

If you don't have a crescent moon, well, I guess you better hunker down and wait for one to come around...

Ya don't need one.

It would be a waste of time.

As Hooky said you would be better to be looking out for the others trying to kill you under canopy.

As Aggie "D" said the Ground reference points and the sun are the best ways to tell where you are and where you need to go.

As Sparkster said a compass is worthless unless you know where you are to start with.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334