Para5-0

Judge Bans skydiving? Legal

What if this guy has his the kid say thursday through Sunday and wants to get a babysitter so he can make a few extra bucks. Oh yeah he works as a skydiver sorry. I have brought my kids to the DZ when I was jumping. In fact my daughter helped put harnesses on and off while I jumped. I thought it was quality time. So, a judge can tell me I cant do that? I disagree on this one sorry. If that is the case an ex could make it so a full time skydiver couldnt work when he had custody. That is a bit over the top if you ask me.

Dude your post is pretty far off the mark, you are arguing for visitation while you work, and calling it quality time, or alternatively saying you want to get a baby sitter during visitation. I can see the merits of this very occasionally so your kid sees what you do but it wouldn't be quality time for long. You should not be working during visitation, that's a red flag, same with the baby sitter frankly. Ask a judge for this and you'll get what you deserve.

My impression from the OP was it was a fun jumper who's spending 20 minutes on a load every hour or more.

I just cant sit here and wrap my arms around this idea. A judge can determine what is good or bad for your own child.

One of the parents asked him to consider the issue and he was obliged to.

I think it makes our sport look bad.

It's not about our sport, it's about what is in the best interests of the child.

I also want to know what criteria was used to single out this sport.

The mother raised a concern, and he considered the complaint on it's merits based on the arguments presented to him at the time. You'd need a transcript of the hearing to know what went on. There could have been all sorts of information presented, overblown or not. Perhaps the kid was bored, you just don't know.

Do judges take this stance on all activities.

The judges stance is to consider what is in the best interests of the child. Perhaps he felt leaving the kid alone for 20 minutes at a time at an airport was not desirable, perhaps he felt that visitation time focused on the father's hobby was not child-centric enough for visitation.

I agree with you that I don't necessarily think this is the way it "should" work. I agree that parents, even divorced parents and maybe especially divorced parents, should be the ones who decide how to spend time with their children.

Yup but sometimes concerns are valid and a judge is supposed to rule where the concerns raised are in the best interests of the child.

It doesn't always take a judge. Before I was awarded sole legal custody my ex mailed every dropzone and every wind tunnel in the region demanding that our 4 year old daughter never be allowed to skydive, fly in the jump plane or fly in the wind tunnel. She'd have done the same for general aviation if she could have.

Ignorance and fear are a powerful combination.

I've never known anyone who ever said, "I wish my parents didn't spend so much time with me when I was young."

Really? Only every teenager/pre-teen I've ever met has been embarrassed by their parents to the point they don't want them around, sometimes for years in their development. It's actually quite normal and healthy. Just because they don't say it to the parents they'd offend, doesn't mean they aren't thinking it.

I can tell you firsthand that abused children sure wish thier parents hadn't spent so much time with them.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

I'm not going to read two pages but...THAT FRACKING BITCH! Thank god he dumped her ass!

Now let's see...have the kid sit at home playing Xbox and stay inside and turn into a blob....OR
Have the little one come out see airplanes and help the packers and get some sun light and have a good time?

I don't know...thos packers are sure dangerous if you ask me!

WTF! is wrong with that judge?

Hi #2

"Fracking Bitch". In your world it's always the womens fault isn't it.:o

Maybe the judge is......... one of them?. You know a women that you find unattractive.

R.

I can tell you firsthand that abused children sure wish thier parents hadn't spent so much time with them.

Oh, Good Lord, of course we're not talking about abused children. :S And, I'm not talking about never letting your child out of your sight either. But, if you're a part-time parent and are already missing out on half of your child's life, it doesn't make much sense to me that one would do a selfish activity like skydiving while you have precious time together.

FWIW, my opinion is based off my own experience as a divorced parent who skydives and shared custody of the children.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Other than abused children, what is the percentage of people who, in retrospect, wish their parents had spent less time with them? I'll bet it's going to be higher in 10 years than it is now, with ever-increasing helicopter parenting (at least as far as I can tell).

Of course teenagers want as little as possible to do with parents. I'm not sure teenagers are the best possible judge of what they actually need.

All that said, the legal system places the onus on the judge of considering what's brought before him. It's his friggin' job. And vindictive or controlling ex-spouses of either gender can be pretty awful. Best move is not to let the relationship get to the point where they've become vindictive.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I had a call for some assistance, from a USPA member going through a custody dispute with an ex. The ex told the judge she didnt want him skydiving while he was responsible for the child. The judge bought into it and banned the guy from jumping during visitation. I personally have never heard of such a thing.
How can that be legal. My immediate thoughts are why skydiving? Why not ban him from driving or jogging, or golfing? I dont get it.

Does this mean that the Father can't go to the Drop Zone and watch the swooping with his kid, or watch the CREW Dogs fly formations, or watch the Accuracy Pilots hit the tuffet ? Have a picnic on the grass, hang out with his kid and his freinds, but
not jump that day..... :S...?

Life is short ... jump often.

Oh, Good Lord, of course we're not talking about abused children. Crazy

Of course not!, because abused children never come from broken homes. :S

As far as most are concerned on here, it's being an abusive parent by ignoring your kid to go jump while in your custody.
So was it when the parents were still married and he, or they both, selfishly jumped? Probably not.
Bitterness seems to be the driving force here. Then again, I wasn't in the courtroom either.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

I had a call for some assistance, from a USPA member going through a custody dispute with an ex. The ex told the judge she didnt want him skydiving while he was responsible for the child. The judge bought into it and banned the guy from jumping during visitation. I personally have never heard of such a thing.
How can that be legal. My immediate thoughts are why skydiving? Why not ban him from driving or jogging, or golfing? I dont get it.

Does this mean that the Father can't go to the Drop Zone and watch the swooping with his kid, or watch the CREW Dogs fly formations, or watch the Accuracy Pilots hit the tuffet ? Have a picnic on the grass, hang out with his kid and his freinds, but

You appear to have quoted me and deleted everything I wrote, retaining only what I replied to.

In answer to your question, none of those activities would be skydiving. If he's prohibited from skydiving he can't skydive. Court orders are generally not difficult to understand or interpret although some contrive to. He can do what he likes except skydive. i.e. leaving his kid to wander around the DZ alone as he gets on a plane and jumps out is prohibited.

Your :S would be valid if true, but we can all think of fictional stuff to get :S over.

There are so many variables

Yes, there are. None of which we have knowledge of.

Hi A

So true:)
But when you look at the tittle of this thread the OP almost yelled FIRE!!!! in a crowd.:ph34r:

#2 took the bait.:o It's all the womens fault.
Case closed next.

R.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. I'd take the kids to the gun range and have a family shoot fest. ;)

B|B|Wouldn't the judge love THAT.:D

My kids did both growing up. They turned out alrignt. We also took them to the zoo, the science center, the library, the museum, the beach . . .

Am I completely out of it? Can this be happening out there? Anything can be happening out there[q/uote] A little input would help me help him. I contacted USPA and they had never heard of it happening before.

You don't need to contact the USPA about this incident/problems. It's a family civil matter and will/can be judged by the sitting judge in the town & county where you were married. One thing to remember, whomever has the child, and who ever gets to the clerk's office and whomever gets served first wiill have the sole custody of the child until the case goes to court, usually 60-90 days gets to keep the child until the final divorce decree is final, then that's when you get into the rythem of how things will be. The judge has no business telling you what you can and can't do wilth your own child, unless it's in a divorce court and is written that way in the final decree When my son was in Iraq, he was married and this woman is deinitily "batty" she got to where she decided to not letting Jr. get his boy. So I WENT over to her house my self divorcee decree in hand, and of course she wasn't there. GPD was there, and I could swear to God she was intantly healed by the hand of Jesus. I flashed the final divorce decree, which is nothin more than court orders compiled into a divorcee. We finally starting to get our visitation rights, which was great, but she made it plain that she was going to be the biggest ass hole in the world about the whole affair. Since I had his right of attorney, financial & physical rights, it still took me 2 years and some $12K to rid him of that scourge. You really do some research on Father's Rights, you can search it on the www. Make damn sure you write in the decree you're lawyer draws up, that she has to bring them, and take them home, plus make her pay for your lawyers fees & court costs. This makes it hard for a lawyer to take on a case such as this, because you've allready "File up the paper bin" When Jr. was in Iraq, he gave me his dog tags, I was awarded all of his rights, ALL of them. It took me 2 years and about 5K-6K to finally rode thr rough of her. Good luck.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

You appear to have quoted me and deleted everything I wrote, retaining only what I replied to.

In answer to your question, none of those activities would be skydiving. If he's prohibited from skydiving he can't skydive. Court orders are generally not difficult to understand or interpret although some contrive to. He can do what he likes except skydive. i.e. leaving his kid to wander around the DZ alone as he gets on a plane and jumps out is prohibited.

Your :S would be valid if true, but we can all think of fictional stuff to get :S over.

Sorry Dorbie........I was not aiming my comment towards your quote. Your post was just handy to attach to. My point is that he should be able to spend time at the DZ with his child " if he is not jumping ".........

Life is short ... jump often.

If it's banned during visitation who cares. Why would he want to spend his time jumping when he is supposed to be visiting his kid anyway?

I fully agree that he should want to spend time with his kid but who the hell is the court to say what he can and can not do with his personal time. If he wants to be irresponsible it;s not the judges decision.

The judge can/should have ruled that "IN THEIR OPINION" skydiving is irresponsible and that is the child should not be left unsupervised anywhere(dropzone etc) but if no one cares how ridiculous this is youre just giving up a personal right that may next be yours... and it will be ok because NO ONE CARES.

(Yes, I've had one of those days today. I am just tired of the retarded people trying to run the lives of other retarded people. BACK OFF, Judge this is not an appropriate call.)
My photos

My Videos

the only person who has heard both sides of the good and bad is the judge

Ding!

We weren't in the courtroom to hear the evidence, folks. The judge was.

Thanks for the reminder guys. Sometimes, I feel the need to make a comment. Then, I realize it doesn't matter. this is just the internet. Going to take my angst and deal with lowe's/Home depot tomorrow. But I'm still tired of retards controlling retards.

I'm changing career's. Retard coordinator.
My photos

My Videos

>but who the hell is the court to say what he can and can not do with his personal time.

It's their job.

>If he wants to be irresponsible it;s not the judges decision.

If he wants to be irresponsible by himself then yes, that is his decision.

But if he wants to get custody of a child from a woman he decided to not live with any more he might have to put up with the terms set for joint custody.

>The judge can/should have ruled that "IN THEIR OPINION" skydiving is irresponsible . . .

Or he could have ruled that since the last time the child was there someone got him drunk, being at the DZ is harmful to kid's development. Or the woman could have said "I don't want you to skydive when you have him" and he could have said "OK that's fine with me" - and then changed his mind when he sobered up.

Or something completely different. You (or I) have no idea what happened in that courtroom.

If you don't get it why did you drop the bomb with the BS topic line and then disappear? Was this whole thread that you started a troll?

Are you Mr 5-0 the jumper thats unhappy with the judges decisiion. Because it involves you and and your daughter?

When you made the statement about your daughter helping people put on their harness and someone called you on it. You vanished and we never heard from you again?

Don't worry be happy;)

I just cant sit here and wrap my arms around this idea. A judge can determine what is good or bad for your own child.

What do you expect when morons turn their family life over to the courts?

They're just asking for it, literally.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Oh, Good Lord, of course we're not talking about abused children. :S And, I'm not talking about never letting your child out of your sight either. But, if you're a part-time parent and are already missing out on half of your child's life, it doesn't make much sense to me that one would do a selfish activity like skydiving while you have precious time together.

FWIW, my opinion is based off my own experience as a divorced parent who skydives and shared custody of the children.

At the same time, I've been to drop zones where the parents and the kids bond over sky diving. I've seen kids (12 and up) earn a few extra dollars packing and editing video. Then the parents and kids camp out on the DZ cooking hot dogs and hamburgers over a fire pit while spending time together away from the TV and Video Games.

It's already been pointed out that we don't all know all the details, I just don't want people to jump to the conclusion that DZ's are automatically a bad place for all kids.:)
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything