Para5-0

Judge Bans skydiving? Legal

I had a call for some assistance, from a USPA member going through a custody dispute with an ex. The ex told the judge she didnt want him skydiving while he was responsible for the child. The judge bought into it and banned the guy from jumping during visitation. I personally have never heard of such a thing.
How can that be legal. My immediate thoughts are why skydiving? Why not ban him from driving or jogging, or golfing? I dont get it.

Am I completely out of it? Can this be happening out there? A little input would help me help him. I contacted USPA and they had never heard of it happening before.

I didnt even know where to post the question. lol

If it's banned during visitation who cares. Why would he want to spend his time jumping when he is supposed to be visiting his kid anyway?

What she said ^

Actually I believe certain activities can be banned by a family judge while the child is in that parents custody (visitation) I have a friend who placed similar restrictions on the EX hubby when he had their kid.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

If it's banned during visitation who cares. Why would he want to spend his time jumping when he is supposed to be visiting his kid anyway?

that was my first thought as well
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

While I understand where y'all are coming from, it should bother everyone that a judge can limit your activities on a whim. And like someone else said, why not banning him from other dangerous activities.

I'm betting the guy could fight it and win if he wanted to

While I wish that was so I am willing to bet that it is not. Family court judges have extraordinary discretionary powers and it is extremely difficult to have one overruled.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

While I understand where y'all are coming from, it should bother everyone that a judge can limit your activities on a whim. And like someone else said, why not banning him from other dangerous activities.

This isn't a criminal court, it is a civil court, the judge can place restrictions in any manner that he/she sees as reasonable and prudent to the situation he is overseeing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So we don’t know the age of the child. We don’t know the frequency or duration of visitation or anything else but a few of you are getting uppity about how that time is spent? Way to knee-jerk. Please, think of the children.

What is the proper way to spend visitation?

What if this guy has his the kid say thursday through Sunday and wants to get a babysitter so he can make a few extra bucks. Oh yeah he works as a skydiver sorry. I have brought my kids to the DZ when I was jumping. In fact my daughter helped put harnesses on and off while I jumped. I thought it was quality time. So, a judge can tell me I cant do that? I disagree on this one sorry. If that is the case an ex could make it so a full time skydiver couldnt work when he had custody. That is a bit over the top if you ask me.

This isn't a criminal court, it is a civil court, the judge can place restrictions in any manner that he/she sees as reasonable and prudent to the situation he is overseeing.

This is the USA:)
If daddy wants to hire a lawyer to plead his case in court thats his option as long as he has the money.

There will be plenty of lawyers that will be standing in line to plead this poor guy's case all the way no mater the cost. :)
Win or lose.:(

I suspect there is one pissd off X wife that will stop at nothing to get even with her x, with the poor kid caught in the middle.

FWIW I'm not a lawyer:|

R.
One Jump Wonder

This is the USA:)
If daddy wants to hire a lawyer to plead his case in court thats his option as long as he has the money.

There will be plenty of lawyers that will be standing in line to plead this poor guy's case all the way no mater the cost. :)
Win or lose.:(

I suspect there is one pissd off X wife that will stop at nothing to get even with her x, with the poor kid caught in the middle.

R.

Sure, but what is the cost benefit analysis going in? Is the guy a full time skydiver who depends on the jumps to earn a living or is he a fun jumper?

Also, whose to say that skydiving was a significant factor in the marriage falling apart in the first place? Whose to say that the child isn't old enough to say that he doesn't like going to the dropzone? Maybe the guy has a drug problem and spending a weekend on the DZ is how he gets wrapped up in it?

The point is we don't know enough to make any sort of real opinion besides that it sucks for that guy. We all love skydiving, that's what brought us here, but the only person who has heard both sides of the good and bad is the judge and that judge set for the conditions.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

R.

Yeah it could not be anything like the mother having concerns about the welfare of her child at a DZ, cause nothing untoward ever happens at a DZ, nor could it be that if the sperm donor is jumping, he is NOT looking after (or visiting) the offspring. It HAS to be that she's bitchy, 'cause there are no alternatives.:S:S:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

A little input would help me help him.

If he already has a lawyer, there's really not much more you can do for him. And if he does, just because he didn't prevail in court doesn't mean that he didn't have a good lawyer.

If he doesn't have a lawyer, the best you can do for him is tell him to lawyer-up ASAP, and get himself a lawyer who specializes in family law. If affordability and/or not knowing where to start is an issue, he should call his county bar association's lawyer referral service.

What if this guy has his the kid say thursday through Sunday and wants to get a babysitter so he can make a few extra bucks. Oh yeah he works as a skydiver sorry. I have brought my kids to the DZ when I was jumping. In fact my daughter helped put harnesses on and off while I jumped. I thought it was quality time. So, a judge can tell me I cant do that? I disagree on this one sorry. If that is the case an ex could make it so a full time skydiver couldnt work when he had custody. That is a bit over the top if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure that if skydiving was the guy's vocation, the judge would not have banned him from working in his field. However, I think that would have prompted the judge to set up visitations for days that he is NOT working.

Or, if the judge wanted to, he could tell the guy...skydive or visit, but not both on the same day....which sounds like what he did.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

A little input would help me help him.

If he already has a lawyer, there's really not much more you can do for him. And if he does, just because he didn't prevail in court doesn't mean that he didn't have a good lawyer.

If he doesn't have a lawyer, the best you can do for him is tell him to lawyer-up ASAP, and get himself a lawyer who specializes in family law. If affordability and/or not knowing where to start is an issue, he should call his county bar association's lawyer referral service.

Sorry Andy but I disagree.:o

The dude is beyond helping.:(

Some divorces end up where everyone is friends B|and some end up where the X's hate each other for ever>:(. A lawyer can't fix that. But he will get paid for his time.:|

No telling which X is at fault in any relationship

We've all heard the stories about the X wife getting almost everything.. Then she goes and sells the X's, H.D. and Corvett for chump change just to "get even".:S Thats one pissed off spouse

IMO a marriage is a life long contract so before you do the deed better be sure your marrying the right person. Having children to argue over just prolongs the pain and means more lawyer time.

FWIW 25 Jan will be our 37 wedding anniversery. My boss is B| and i do as I'm told.:ph34r: SCORE!!!!!

R.
One Jump Wonder

How old is your daughter and who what she putting harness on and off of while you were jumping?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What if this guy has his the kid say thursday through Sunday and wants to get a babysitter so he can make a few extra bucks. Oh yeah he works as a skydiver sorry

If he claims the income on his tax returns, and the income was considered when they established child and/or spousal support, then he might have something. If it's under the table, or just money he leaves at the DZ for fun jumping, the 'I need to make money' argument will not work.

Overall, I don't the the judge is discriminating against skydiving, he's discriminating against whatever it is that this guy's ex feels is going to keep him from spending time with his kid. It could be anything really, any activity that clearly does not (and can not) involve the child, and that the ex knows the other ex is likely to be pre-occupied with might be subject to this type of ruling.

Is the ex just trying to fuck the guy (not in the good way)? More than likely yes. Maybe not because she's a bad person, maybe he spends too much time at the DZ, and too much of his other time thinking/talking about jumping. It wouldn't be the first time an ex tried to screw someone, nor would it be the first time a jumper ended up 'married' to skydiving instead of his wife.

Hi P-5 and everybody else,
The thing that bugs me about this ruling is the"Light that Skydiving is put under??" Why ban skydiving?? On what Grounds?? As a skydiver who is not involved in this "Case" I am still involved and so are you because this Black Robed individual has set a president about our sport!!! It's a legal issue in a court of law and we are the guilty parties, not just "That Guy!!!!" Not just him but all of us are "Fu*ked!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

>So, a judge can tell me I cant do that?

Yes, he could. He could also tell you you couldn't move out of state, or couldn't drink while you had the child, or couldn't work as a hooker (where it's legal of course.)

Fortunately you don't have to heed any of those restrictions if you don't want partial custody.

What is the proper way to spend visitation?

Since the child is "visiting" the parent, the parent should do activities WITH the child, not have the child watch the parent have fun. The dad can skydive when the child is with mom. Since he's already a part-time parent now, that should be a no-brainer.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon