grimmie

Official NHL 2011/2012 thread!

Pittsburgh v. Philly and Kings v. Vancouver. Will either or both go up 3-0?

Fun stuff!

I am neutral on the Flyers/Pens series. But hopefully the Kings can drill one more nail into the Knucklehead's coffin later today. Show no mercy. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Philadelphia and Pittsburg is one of the wildest games I have seen in a long time.

And it's still only in the first.

Pens got spanked... in more ways than one! :D:D:D I noticed that hot-shot Crosby stayed out of the fracas until he had a chance to pull-down one of the Flyers by the back of his sweater from behind and another penguin jumped-in. He's a real tough guy, all-right! :D:D

I don't like either team but I dis-like Pittsburgh more. Hope, they get swept.

Chuck

I love it ... Kings win again!!! ... 3 down 1 more to go.

I dig it myself. I was so tired I had to go to bed before the third period. But I actually wasn't all antsy and thought they'll pull it off. They did. Wednesday night will be groovy! Despite the happy shock at the Kings series, I'm probably blown away by the Penguins-Flyers. The Penguins scored 3, 5 and 4 goals in their three games and have lost by 8 combined goals. That's just mindblowing.

Tonight are three more evenly matched - all three have series tied at 1-1.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

All right. As much as I was interested in teams hating each other, this bullshit going for blood and trying to kill each other on the ice is too much. We're seeing too much thug hockey. Hossa just taken off the ice on a stretcher. What Asham did. Hagelin on Alfredsson.

Some of these guys are looking like they are out to end careers. I've never seen it like this.

Some of these guys are looking like they are out to end careers. I've never seen it like this.

From the replay I have seen (I did not watch the game live), Torres appeared to slightly leave his feet moments before the collision with Hossa, But then I saw the replay from another angle and while yes Torres did launch himself into Hossa, it was more a case where Hossa was not expecting the hit.

It's unfortunate that Hossa was hurt, but it's not like Torres cross checked Hossa in the face (unlike what Dave Brown did to Thomas Sandstrom back in the 1980s). It's not like Torres took a swing with his stick and hit Hossa in the head (like what Marty McSorely did to Donald Brashear). It's not like Torres punched Hossa from behind and proceeded to drive Hossa's head into the ice (like what Todd Bertuzzi did to Derek Morris). There have been some rough moments in these 2012 playoffs. But yes I have seen these sort of things before and I have seen worse. :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I've seen worse, in the past, especially at play-off time. This year, I think, the 'flood-gates' have been opened because of the slap on the wrist that Weber got for smashing Zetterburg's head into the glass. This seemed to have sent a message throughout the League that it's O.K. to do stuff like that.
After all the hub-bub all season long about hits to the head, Weber's penalty was a big nothin'. Chump change!

Chuck

All right. As much as I was interested in teams hating each other, this bullshit going for blood and trying to kill each other on the ice is too much. We're seeing too much thug hockey. Hossa just taken off the ice on a stretcher. What Asham did. Hagelin on Alfredsson.

Seeing Hossa taken off on a stretcher and watching Torres leave his feet makes me sick. Do these guys have no consideration/respect for their opponents as another guy with a family to raise, a life to live and that it would be nice for them to do so without permanent brain damage?

Given the numerous prior infractions of Torres I hope Shanahan suspends him for a season. The only thing that will stop the brutal unsportsmanlike hits is not being able to play and having no income.

I'm not enjoying any of this headhunting horseshit.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Do these guys have no consideration/respect for their opponents

Interesting question. I really don't think they do. Check out Crosby's comments.

These are guys playing for the Holy Grail. I know that. But here's something else - the players aren't paid in the classic sense. During the regular season, if a player is suspended for a game that player forfeits a game's pay. These players already played out their season so they, in a sense, are not salaried. The teams get bonuses that are paid out to the teammates equally. So their loss for a game doesn't hit them. Might hit their team, but think the Hawks are gonna miss Hossa more than the Coyotes are gonna miss Torres? How about Ottawa losing their captain?

What's the NHL doing? Officials are not calling it. Clowe playing a puck from the bench a couple of weeks ago got away with it (understandable - rules prevented supplemental discipline). But missed calls in the playoffs (Torres wasn't penalized, the Philly offside, etc.) Officials lose control.

Shea Weber's slap on the gloves set a tone. I myself was noting how wild this was getting with Philly-Pittsburgh and teams that hated each other. I wrote a week ago:

the Philly-Pitt series has it all. The star power, the fans and home arenas, and two teams that really really hate each other. Fans hate each other. The players and coaches hate each other. Teams are evenly matched. It doesn't get better than this.

I foresaw intensity and hard hockey. But it's playing out like Slap Shot. The whole first round is being defined by cheap shots and concussions (perhaps the only happy person is Marc Andre Fleury - attention is being focused more on Asham and Neal than Fleury getting shelled).

Seeing Hossa taken off on a stretcher and watching Torres leave his feet makes me sick. Do these guys have no consideration/respect for their opponents as another guy with a family to raise, a life to live and that it would be nice for them to do so without permanent brain damage?

Given the numerous prior infractions of Torres I hope Shanahan suspends him for a season. The only thing that will stop the brutal unsportsmanlike hits is not being able to play and having no income.

I'm not enjoying any of this headhunting horseshit.

Torres has been suspended indefinitely....although the fact there was not an on ice penalty was r-tarded...

Agreed about the headhunting horseshit...I haven't enjoyed the playoffs much (other than the fact the Hawks are down 2-1 in the series)

Philly got shelled today. Amazing that the Penguins have scored 22 goals in four games and trail 3 games to 1.

Kings are up 1-0 (KOPI!!!!). Can my beloved Kings sweep the Canucks? And Ottawatta tied up the series. Must get sleep tonight...

I agree with pretty much everything you said below. Just want to say that for me there has to be a line drawn where, despite your hatred of an opponent and your desire to win you have to be a sportsman and not injure your opponent....especially the head shots which can leave guys with permanent impairment. Torres could have taken out Hossa without sending him to the hospital.

I'd be all for permanent bans on repeat offenders like Torres. If they are willing to fuck people up so that they can't earn a living playing hockey (or anything else if their brain injury is severe enough), I have no problem with taking away their ability to do so.

One suggestion I read elsewhere to help get teams to take this seriously is to reduce the number of players they can dress by the number of suspended players they have. Take away 1, 2 or even 3 skaters and it sure changes things.

I think the Kings have got to be worried...the Canucks team they saw last night was a much different and better team than they have faced so far. The Sedins together are really something else.

It looks like the Penguins may make a series of it....provided they can actually win a game at home.

Murray

Do these guys have no consideration/respect for their opponents

Interesting question. I really don't think they do. Check out Crosby's comments.

These are guys playing for the Holy Grail. I know that. But here's something else - the players aren't paid in the classic sense. During the regular season, if a player is suspended for a game that player forfeits a game's pay. These players already played out their season so they, in a sense, are not salaried. The teams get bonuses that are paid out to the teammates equally. So their loss for a game doesn't hit them. Might hit their team, but think the Hawks are gonna miss Hossa more than the Coyotes are gonna miss Torres? How about Ottawa losing their captain?

What's the NHL doing? Officials are not calling it. Clowe playing a puck from the bench a couple of weeks ago got away with it (understandable - rules prevented supplemental discipline). But missed calls in the playoffs (Torres wasn't penalized, the Philly offside, etc.) Officials lose control.

Shea Weber's slap on the gloves set a tone. I myself was noting how wild this was getting with Philly-Pittsburgh and teams that hated each other. I wrote a week ago:

the Philly-Pitt series has it all. The star power, the fans and home arenas, and two teams that really really hate each other. Fans hate each other. The players and coaches hate each other. Teams are evenly matched. It doesn't get better than this.

I foresaw intensity and hard hockey. But it's playing out like Slap Shot. The whole first round is being defined by cheap shots and concussions (perhaps the only happy person is Marc Andre Fleury - attention is being focused more on Asham and Neal than Fleury getting shelled).

Another thing about the Kings/Canucks is that Luongo appears to be the backup until the Canucks can trade him. Schneider played very well last night and I think that him in net will make it harder for the Kings to prevail.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I like what you said! To me, the League has a big part of the blame for allowing these ugly hits to continue throughout the play-offs. It started with Shanny, not coming down hard on Shea Weber for his slamming Zetterburg's head against the glass. Also, the inconsistancy in penalties. The refs also, need some 'refresher' courses in their job. I fully understand the fact that hits are a part of hockey but like you said, there needs to be a distinct line drawn on them.

Chuck

I think the Kings have got to be worried...the Canucks team they saw last night was a much different and better team than they have faced so far. The Sedins together are really something else.

Absolutely. The biggest impact with Daniel Sedin's presence is that Sutter has to decide whether to juggle his lines and how to play them. Last night it seemed that Sutter chose the second line forwards and Doughty Scuderi to play against the Sedin line.

Next game is at Vancouver, so the Vancouver will have the chance to make its line choices based on what Sutter does on faceoffs.

I'm really interested in what strategy each coach will turn to. The Daniel Sedin factor is what makes this so tough for the Kings - what they'd been doing doesn't work now. It's especially seen on LA's penalty kill.

Note: not that the Kings did badly. They took more shots and had more chances. But Dustin Brown's failure to convert the penalty shot followed by a Canucks goal seconds later was friggin brutal.