grimmie

Official NHL 2011/2012 thread!

I was wondering if Doan was going to beat down on Brown in the post game handshake lineup. But I guess not. Seconds after play resumed following the hit I said to myself "The best thing for Dustin Brown would be for the Kings to score now while Doan and Brown were on the bench" and low and behold, that is exactly what they did.

Congrats to the Kings for returning to the finals 19 years after the last time they were there.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Give credit to Hanzal for confronting Brown about dirty play after the game - I guess Hanzal is a changed man from three games ago. And for Smith being pissed off about dirty play - the same Smith who did a Lizzie Borden impression on Brown's knee. And Doan - with his Lady Byngs - is an authorty on clean play. I'm surprised Morris stayed out of the discussion.

I think that Brown's hit was borderline. But he got about 1000% more body contact than Morris did on Scuderi. And for Smith to say that Brown's hit was worse than what Torres did and that if Torres got 25 games Brown deserves life? Shut up, Smith. You had an amazing year and a great playoffs. I think you outplayed Quick for most of this series. I thought you were great. You sound whiney now.

Now the Ranger-Decils. Great series. Great teams. Back and forth. I don't think the Devils have any business being in it but they are. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of the series.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I think the Devils should be up 3-1 in this series. Tonight's game is a wild one. 3-0 Devlls and now 3-2....Rangers have the momentum and devils are just hanging on.

Edited to add- they managed to come away with the win. Rangers are 0-7 when they give up 3 or more goals and 6-0 when they give up less than 3. For a team that did so well in the regular season they sure haven't been getting the scoring. I guess that also shows why Lundquist is up for the Hart as well as the Vezina.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

This is going to be an interesting final. Kings have been on a rampage but I think the Devils will be tough to beat. They are getting contributions from the whole lineup, are disciplined, have a still-great goaltender and some goalscorers. But...you can say the same thing about the Kings. It would be nice for the Kings to get their first Cup but it would also be great for Brodeur to cap his career with another Cup win. I got no preference.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I got no preference.

I don't normally cheer for the Kings, but since I have been on their bandwagon from day #1 of these playoffs, there is no reason for me to get off of it now. I like the Kings chances but the Devils are the Devils. They have been here before and they have one of the game's best ever goalies (who is still playing well) between the pipes. Let's hope every game (whether it is only 4 games or 7) is a competitive hard fought game.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Fayne misses the open net! Nearly 2-1 Devils. Devils look like the better team now but it took two periods for them to wake up.
--
Murray

Game could easily have been won by the Devils. They rope a doped the Kings for two periods and had several great chances before the defensive breakdown lead to the winner.

I think that no matter who winds up winning this the Kings' road streak is going to stand for a long time.
--
Murray

Game could easily have been won by the Devils. They rope a doped the Kings for two periods and had several great chances before the defensive breakdown lead to the winner.

I agree. Neither the Kings nor the Devils were at their best. And the Kings still won. That's tough for the Devils, but they've lost game 1 twice already.

It also looks like the ice was a major factor. Both sides said a lot about it, and I can't help but wonder whether the ice contributed to the misfire by Fayne. That ice was soft and mushy and was causing all kinds of problems for both sides.

As an aside - I tip my hat to Lidstrom on his retirement.

The puck was bouncing on Fayne. Glorious chance!

I think last night was three Game 1 losses in a row for the Devils. One thing you won't get from them is panic.

Yes, Lidstrom had a terrific career and was a classy guy throughout. 22 years! Long, long , long time to play NHL hockey.

I thought Marty Brodeur played pretty awesome last night...54 shots on goal! Just before the Kings won it he made two great saves...the pad stack and then another one shortly after...Devils took it to the Kings, didn't score and then made the breakdown at he Kings' blue line that lead to the winner.

I think they were checking each other out a lot last night. The next games are going to be a lot better.
--
Murray

I just came home from the lake turned the tv to see Kovalchuk put one off the crossbar with a few seconds left. OT again.
--
Murray

I didn't see the game but did hear that the Devils played very well and your. Omments just confirmed that. I thought the Kings were better in OT...Brodeur kept the Devils alive as long as he could.

Three stars for both games:
1 - OT Goal scorer
2 - Quick
3 - Brodeur

Hey, when teams start getting the lucky breaks....it just could be their year! I've been real impressed with Brodeur...at 40 he is playing unbelievable but I have the feeling he is not going to get another Cup for his efforts.
--
Murray

In looking at some other things, I'm wondering whether DeBoer will do anything differently, try any line changes, etc. Taking a look at the series so far, DeBoer's been reacting to the Williams-Kopitar-Brown. Then look at Sutter - he doesn't care about the matchups. He's just rolling out whatever line happens to be rested and goes with it.

DeBoer has neutralized Brown. Not Kopitar and certainly not Williams (other than Doughty, Williams, I think, has been the most dominant skater out there). And DeBoer is learning that dumping the puck in Doughty's corner and forechecking him is a recipe for disaster. Doughty is just humiliating them.

On the other side, mad props to Brodeur. It's almost sad seeing him skate off the ice in defeat. Quickie and Marty have been the class of this series. I tip my hat to Brodeur.