grimmie

Official NHL 2011/2012 thread!

They'd have turned into great investments for anybody with enough faith to bet on either of them. They are still a long way from winning but one of them will have a shot!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Coyotes-Kings is an intriguing matchup. Both teams know each other well and both teams have goalies who are playing lights out right now. I think that Smith may actually be playing somewhat better than Quick because of the sheer volume of shots he has taken. Which is why it's a shame as a Kings fan that he'll have so much rest before the series starts.

However, I do give the Kings an edge because of the defense. The Blues series showed that it wasn't all Quick. The Kings were doing a great job of keeping forwards out of Quick's way and being there to cover the goal line when Quick was out of position. Check out Kopitar's save in Game 4 - blocking the puck gently nudging it into Quick's glove. Quick is also making good saves. I myself think that the number of shots against quick going off the pipes are evidence of how well positioned he is. The last goal he allowed was two hole off post and was the ONLY place that could have scored. It was just a perfect shot.

The other factor is the number of shots that Smith is taking (and that defensemen are blocking). The Kings are not putting a whole lot of shots on goal but are doing well with scoring opportunities - making something happen a few times a game.

Should be a helluva series. :)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Coyotes-Kings is an intriguing matchup. Both teams know each other well and both teams have goalies who are playing lights out right now. I think that Smith may actually be playing somewhat better than Quick because of the sheer volume of shots he has taken. Which is why it's a shame as a Kings fan that he'll have so much rest before the series starts.

However, I do give the Kings an edge because of the defense. The Blues series showed that it wasn't all Quick. The Kings were doing a great job of keeping forwards out of Quick's way and being there to cover the goal line when Quick was out of position. Check out Kopitar's save in Game 4 - blocking the puck gently nudging it into Quick's glove. Quick is also making good saves. I myself think that the number of shots against quick going off the pipes are evidence of how well positioned he is. The last goal he allowed was two hole off post and was the ONLY place that could have scored. It was just a perfect shot.

The other factor is the number of shots that Smith is taking (and that defensemen are blocking). The Kings are not putting a whole lot of shots on goal but are doing well with scoring opportunities - making something happen a few times a game.

Should be a helluva series. :)

Yes, it should be a helluva series and I would give the edge to the Kings as well.

Unfortunately, this is a series where I hate to see either team lose. Neither team has ever won the Cup, lots of great players involved on both sides that I would like to have a shot at hoisting the Cup.

Whoever wins this one...I hope they win it all!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

All of the pressure is on the Rangers for game 7. No one expected the Caps to get this far. The Rangers were Cup final favorites all year in the East.
If the Caps score first, good night NY.
And ifnthe Caps win, I'll be tuning in for the Torts post game interview:P

The Kings looked better at every positions except goalie. I hate to say it but I'll give credit - Quickie was sleeping on the Morris goal. And he looked a little off tonight. He missed one save he should have had, out of position a couple more times, but still made a couple big ones. Smith played better but just faced almost twice as many shots.

The Kings simply played better. The Coyotes didn't lose that game - they got beaten. And I think that Phoenix WILL make this a more interesting series that the last two for the Kings.

i'd also like to point out the weirdities going on in the World Championships right now. Kazakhstan pushed the US to OT before the US won it. Then Kazakhstan gets creamed by Canada 8-0.

Finland was creaming everyone then Canada beats them 5-3 and then the US shelled Finland 5-0. The US beat Canada a week ago in OT, but Slovakia beat the US.

Just bloody weird.

Kind neat that a .926 save percentage is mediocre for the guy. Quick looked ordinary. For the first time since the playoffs started.

And now there's the NY-NJ Series. Don't know whom I support. Part of me wants theRangers to win it because of the implications for a goalie-centered finals. Buit either way it'll be great.

You just know that the NHL is begging for a Rangers/Kings finals for TV ratings.

Quick looked like he was overplaying the angles in the first two periods.

I think it will be difficult for the Yotes to win the series against the Kings relentlessly effective forecheck style. They don't have the talent to carry it up ice on a steady basis.

I think the Rangers have more firepower than the Devils. This will be interesting to watch Marty in probably his final run to the Cup. I think Kovalchuk is the key for the Deivls. If he plays well, they have a great chance to knock off the Rangers. I don't like either team, so I hope they beat the hell out of each other so the Kings can steamroll a tired, bruised team in the finals;)B|:ph34r:

I didn't get to see much of the game last night but did see a nasty shot laid on Dustin Brown. I sure hope a suspension is handed out as it looked like an intentional attempt to injure to me.

Coyotes are done. I never expected them to be so completely outplayed.
--
Murray

I'll put is as Scott Ferrall did: "The Kings are bitch slapping the Coyotes." EVERY phase of the game: power play, penalty kill, transition. The Coyotes have been called robotic and disciplined, and the most disciplined they'll be is when Shanahan suspends Hanzal.

I don't think Doan should be disciplined - I think it should have been a minor. He was committed to the hit and Lewis turned at the last instant. Hanzal will get a game - and his wasn't the dirtiest play of the night (just boarding and head gets Shanahan's attention). The most blatant (and I think most deserving of a suspension) was GOALIE Smith going Paul Bunyan on the back of Brown's knees. The Coyotes went after Brown (say what you want about Quick or anybody else, but Brown is my Conn Smythe award winner - and it isn't even close in my vote. Not even Quickie is close.) And the other one which I thought competed was Morris's knee to Scuderi. All this without Torres on the ice.;)

The Coyotes got humiliated out there and they knew it. I thought they came out strongly the first period and STILL were behind, and they were strong at the opening of the second. The Kings were on their heels and then Carter scored his first goal to make it 2-0 and then Phoenix just IMPLODED. Kings handled the dirty play perfectly by NOT DROPPING THE GLOVES, and I think that frustrated Phoenix even more. Instead of dropping gloves they took the power plays and actually converted (they have now scored more goals on power play than shorthanded this playoffs). Composure.

I still think that the Coyotes will split the next two games at Staples, with the Kings closing out next Tuesday in Phoenix - and setting an away win streak record.B|

Edited to add: Brown has been amazing this playoffs. And so has Doughty. But hopefully the rest of the country is getting an idea of just how special of a player Kopitar is. His stick handling and agility are just highlight reel material. At times he's looked like Gale Sayers on skates and created opportunities others have pounced upon to score.

Still some life in the Coyotes! Do or die again tonight!

Glad to see the Devils tie up the series with NYR. I hope they can knock off the Rangers. Overall, I think NJ has been the better team and should be up 3-1.
--
Murray

I'm somewhat glad the Kings got beaten. A sweep would be rough with the Rangers/Devils likely going to seven. And hand it to Smith - he was lights out (though the Kings controlled, they didn't go so hard on the forecheck).

I think the loss is good for them. But tonight they'll take it home.

I have to agree with you that losing one will be good for the Kings going forward....get rid of any complacency they may have. Either of the Rangers and Devils will be tough opponents.
--
Murray

As long as the extra time off doesn't bother them and it hasn't after the two previous rounds.
--
Murray