grimmie

Official NHL 2011/2012 thread!

Do you recall when Datsyuk first came to Detroit? All he'd do was pass the puck! WOW! Look at him now!

Yep. And now he's probably the greatest all-around player ever to lace 'em up. Hard to make an argument to the contrary.

Don

The guy is absolutely amazing! He's got more moves than a cat. there's nothing better in the world to watch than when Pavel has the puck. He's the ultimate hockey player... hands down!

Chuck

Although I hate it when people try to compare players from different eras, I'm tempted to in this case.....but I won't. Orr was the best defender ever, but he didn't have the offensive skills that Datsyuk has, imo. Orr was a shooter, not a mover.

And Grets and Mario were offensive machines.....nothing more. Datsyuk plays a better cover-the-entire-ice-on-your-shift game.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Although I hate it when people try to compare players from different eras, I'm tempted to in this case.....but I won't.

Too late!

Yep. And now he's probably the greatest all-around player ever to lace 'em up. Hard to make an argument to the contrary.

Orr was the best defender ever, but he didn't have the offensive skills that Datsyuk has, imo. Orr was a shooter, not a mover.

How many Art Ross trophies does Datsyuk have? How many 100 + point seasons?
You said all around player. Datsyuk is a great player but Orr was better on offense and defense. We are talking about a defenseman who led the league in goals and was only six points shy of the scoring record. This while winning one of six consecutive Norris trophies.

Datsyuk plays a better cover-the-entire-ice-on-your-shift game.

You need to get some footage from back in the day. NO ONE covered the ice like Orr.

Besides, he's a foreigner. :P

Besides, he's a foreigner.

:D:D

Uh....sure thing, there, Mr. Edmonton. :)American words...).

Not sure when Orr started, but I started following hockey in the early 70s, and I saw my share of him. I still stand by my earlier statement concerning Datsyuk's better overall game. And I still refuse to be drawn into arguing about the skill level of today's fast-paced, finesse-filled elegantly-flowing game vs. the ponderous, straight-line skating of yesteryear.....:P

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

And I still refuse to be drawn into arguing about the skill level of today's fast-paced, finesse-filled elegantly-flowing game vs. the ponderous, straight-line skating of yesteryear.

Without a doubt the players of the modern era are bigger, faster, stronger and are in much better condition. Heck one of the 1970s iconic "best" players used to smoke cigarettes in the dressing room. However with all that said, I was lucky enough to see Gretzky play live in the 1980s when he was in his prime and he played a style of the game that no other players could emulate. Not even Lemieux. Gretzky had a way of knowing where to be on the ice at just the right moment and you have to sit the stands to know what I speak of. The TV cameras are too busy following the puck to show how someone like Gretzky knew where to be at the right moment. Gretzky was more than just an offensive player. He had this spider sense that nobody else had.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Today is going to be a BIG test for Joey MacDonald and the Wings. they're playing San Jose in a matinee game! 1- San Jose has beaten the Wings the last 5-games they've met. The last 3-wins, were in Detroit. Also, the Wings don't seem to play good in matinee games. It's going to be good!
I'd like to see some way for the Wings to divest themselves of Ty Conklin and make Joey Mac the full-time back-up to Jimmy Howard. Right now, Joey is putting-up better numbers than Jimmy and Jimmy is the best in the League!.

Chuck

Today is going to be a BIG test for Joey MacDonald and the Wings. they're playing San Jose in a matinee game!

SJ has had Detroit's number the past few times they met and the Joe doesn't scare 'em. They're also coming off two hard losses and they're hungry for points. My prediction - it's gonna be a GREAT game! B|

Today is going to be a BIG test for Joey MacDonald and the Wings. they're playing San Jose in a matinee game!

SJ has had Detroit's number the past few times they met and the Joe doesn't scare 'em. They're also coming off two hard losses and they're hungry for points. My prediction - it's gonna be a GREAT game! B|

You got that right!

Chuck

And the beat goes on.

I thought the whole team played with a lot of jump today. And Joey Mac was a brick wall.

Don

It was a bit of a nail-biter! I too think the Wings played with a l ot of heart and over-all real good. MacDonald has been absolutely stellar!

Chuck

That's kinda' funny. Two former Atlanta teams meeting. Which team do the Atlanta fans cheer for? The Flames go way back to the WHL. If, I'm not mistaken. Good to see Winnipeg with an NHL team, again.
What do you think of Kronwall's hit on Vorochek, Tuesday night?

Chuck

According to the rule he deserves a suspension. It is however a good example of what is wrong with the rule. Kronwell was making a hockey play. He was attacking the puck in open ice. He did not line the guy up, he did not target his head. The fact is once it became clear that Vorochek was not going to protect himself there was nothing Kronwell could do short of lying down on the ice and either taking a tripping penalty, or giving up a breakaway.
Keep your head up kids.

According to the rule he deserves a suspension. It is however a good example of what is wrong with the rule. Kronwell was making a hockey play. He was attacking the puck in open ice. He did not line the guy up, he did not target his head. The fact is once it became clear that Vorochek was not going to protect himself there was nothing Kronwell could do short of lying down on the ice and either taking a tripping penalty, or giving up a breakaway.
Keep your head up kids.

I read an interview with Vorochek where he said that he saw Kronwall and thought that he'd back-up. Vorochek said too that he had his head down and Kronwall held his ground. Vorochek said he thought it was a 'clean hit' and that that type hit should stay in the game.
"Keep your head up kids" sounds like Don Cherry! :D:D

Chuck

You got that right! the Wings really pulled one out, there! That 3rd. period was a nail biter. I think, the kids from Grand Rapids are starting to mesh and make a presence. you bet! We need Pavel back, something serious. He and Bert. Those two seem to work good together. Seems like, this happens to the Wings every season. They get close to the play-offs and the injuries take over. They always manage to hang in there.

Chuck

And the team expected to be bottom 4 in the league makes the playoffs.

Way to go Sens.

Bryan Murray (GM) is a genius for hiring Paul Maclean as head coach. He had pressure from ownership to choose otherwise, but Maclean has been brilliant this year. Surely has to be top consideration for the Jack Adams Trophy. To me its obvious who was the real architect of the Ducks Stanley Cup victory a few years ago (hint...it wasn't Brian Burke...)

It'll be tough against the Bruins in Round 1, but with their goaltending a bit shakely lately and Ottawa's being very solid, I'm hoping for a good outcome.

GO SENS GO!

FOUR more days, let the banter begin!

What matchups will you be watching in the first round.
Flyers/Pens will be a great battle.
Rangers/Caps will be awesome.
Sharks/Canucks will come down to goaltending.
I think the Kings can take the Blues.
And yes, I know, the RedWings are in it too...:P

I'm off to Calgary to play in an International Firefighter Hockey Tourney next week. I'm skating with the Prince George, BC FD Legends team. "Legends" means we're in the "nursing home" division, 45 and over!B|;):P:ph34r: